Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: WesC]
      #6357992 - 02/05/14 04:02 PM

I'm afraid any Ioptron solution for me relies on the non encoder version. $4000 is just more than I'm willing to risk on a asian mount. For that amount I'd would require 100% assurance of not getting a defective mount. I'm not willing to to take the risk of getting burned again. At least not for $4000. If the non encorder version gets good reports and with extremely low defect rates, I may be willing to risk the $2500. If at that time I lose the lottery again, I'm never going to buy another Chinese mount.

I hope Ioptron can keep the quality control at a high level, and steal away all those Synta, and Sunny customers! They just have to prove they really care! We'll see.....

Edited by Wmacky (02/05/14 04:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6358232 - 02/05/14 06:09 PM

Wmacky said it all for me. +1

tazer
sage

Reged: 12/22/11

Loc: Central North Carolina
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #6358290 - 02/05/14 06:38 PM

Wade, thank you very much for that explanation. I was looking for some tangible differences in this thread but your response was in a language I understand. All I've got is a CG5-ASGT and truly know every single frustration you mentioned. It is my goal to purchase an imaging mount that will eliminate (as nearly as possible) those issues so I can spend those precious clear nights imaging instead of troubleshooting/tinkering.

Looks like I might need to consider putting my tax refund in the bank and getting on the Mach1 waiting list.

Mark

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #6358377 - 02/05/14 07:22 PM

Me too... +1

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: WesC]
      #6358436 - 02/05/14 07:57 PM

Quote:

Whoa... 90% rejection!? That is so not good.

In a way it is good. It means Ioptron is doing the QA and holding the suppliers accountable.

Gale

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: WadeH237]
      #6358488 - 02/05/14 08:27 PM

I really don't see what all the point of all this angst. The CEM60 could be a game changer, but we don't know that yet, do we? Track records, credible track record, take a loooong time to build, and iOptron is just getting started. It's gonna be quite a while before anyone can say anything definitive about it's value.

As to the price difference between the CEM60 and anything sporting an Astro-Physics name plate, well folks, A-P has the track record. In spades... Yeah, you'll pay $1K, maybe even $2K more for a sure thing, but for my money, a $4K *BLEEP* shoot is no bargain when, if it doesn't work out, it mean I'll be out $4K plus whatever it costs to get something that lives up to published spec's and will continue to for as long as you live. Now I understand there are people who think a tip to Reno or Los Wages is a great idea. I'm not one of them. 'Course I am an official old fart, So I guess I have an excuse for being risk intolerant.

Like I said earlier in this thread. If you have the patience, then use the time it takes the CEM60 to reveal it's true nature to save enough money to buy the AP alternative if the CEM80 turns out to be a goat. If it proves to be the next big thing, then you've still got some cash to spend on some good optics or a high end camera. If you don't have the patience, then for pity sake, go with the sure thing. Either way, don't gamble with that much of your own money on the table. With other folk's cash, sure, why not.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: WadeH237]
      #6358609 - 02/05/14 09:49 PM

Quote:

The thing is, that I *needed* the experience of the Celestron (and I also tried Meade) mounts in order to fully appreciate the AP mount.

+1

If you've spent a year (or two, or three) with the substandard stuff, it will make the AP ownership experience that much sweeter.

On the other hand you'll be blaming yourself for those wasted years. I know I did.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6358732 - 02/05/14 11:21 PM

It's all about the benjamins for me. I simply can not currently afford a top-tier mount. So I can either do without for several years while I save and then dump it all on a great mount or I can buy the best I can afford now and then start saving from scratch again. This is the route I've chosen to go.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6358788 - 02/05/14 11:59 PM

There are so many ways to lose money in this hobby. There are few ways to save money. One of the best ways to save money in the end is to buy a GREAT mount and then keep it for life. I have had a few mounts, some were pretty good and others not so much. I have lost money on every one I ever bought and sold. Some I lost a lot and others only a smaller percentage. But if I were to add up the amount that I lost and added that to the most expensive mount that I bought and sold, I could have had an AP mount. It took me a while to finally figure it out, most of use do not understand in the beginning. But if I had listened to the more experiences photographers I would have had my AP900 years ago. Expensive, yeah I guess, but where is the saving in the end?
Blueman

LPA

Reged: 01/28/14

Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6358837 - 02/06/14 12:35 AM

Re whichwayisnorth: My situation as well. It's not all about the money, it's also about time. The question for me is, do I significantly enhance my enjoyment of this hobby now while saving for a higher capacity mount to buy later, or do I forgo buying a CEM60 now and lose that much time and experiences while waiting? Those AP supporters in this thread make it sound like there are lots of Mach 1's for sale out there. So where are they?

LPA

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: LPA]
      #6358868 - 02/06/14 12:59 AM

I guess you have to get an astromart account, because they sure aren't offered on this forum!

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6358900 - 02/06/14 01:31 AM

Look folks, it comes down to this... How many times do you want to cry?

Either way, you'll spend the money. The only question is how much risk are you willing to tolerate? Seems to me those who are willing to gamble on a $4K on a complete unknown are more adventurous than I am. I tip my hat to your spirit, but having been down that path, I would not follow your example.

Blueman said it all. You'd be well advised to listen to Floyd's advice. He knows whereof he speaks.

Edited by bseltzer (02/06/14 01:38 AM)

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: bseltzer]
      #6358911 - 02/06/14 01:47 AM

If you want a Mach1 now a quick wanted on astromart will get you one.

I had 3 offers when I put up my want ad and could afford to choose the best option.

There's also that AP900 right now for 5.5k.....

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6358956 - 02/06/14 02:17 AM

Yeah... That's tempting. But I'm saving for an AP1100GTO.

I've gone through this with many things in life. Cars, guitars, wives...

What I learned was that if you're serious about something, spend the money and do it right or you'll only be frustrated and give it up. Then why do I have a CGEM, you ask? Simple. It came with my Edge 11 for an extra $150... and is an excellent visual use mount. Hard to turn that down.

But when I get into imaging, I'm going with Astro-Physics.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: tazer]
      #6360570 - 02/06/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IF iOptron can keep the price low...

I emailed iOptron a couple of weeks ago and the mounts were supposed to ship in January but were delayed due to problems with the worm manufacturer. They rejected about 20% of the initial batch and about 90% of the second batch. They indicated that they would stand by their advertised PE specs and pricing.

If they don't then that will cause a number of people to recalculate their next mount purchase.

Annoying news for early adopters, bad news for competitors. This signifies that iOptron is amping up it's quality control. ISO9000 standards are a difficult thing to implement with Chinese manufacturers, but when they actually go through.. giants are made.

NightRyder
sage

Reged: 12/24/09

Loc: Miami FL aka Light Pollution, ...
Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? new [Re: calypsob]
      #6361659 - 02/07/14 10:55 AM

Lots of great advice here! When I started the post, I had no idea of what I was starting... hahahaha After more research and thought (some influenced by this post) I have decided to wait on the AP Mach1. The CEM60 may indeed prove to be a solid mount, but I can just see the quality oozing out of the AP Mounts. The milled aluminum opposed to cast is one of the biggest quality factors in my decision. Recent issues with a CGEM's cast aluminum completely turns me off from similarly produced mounts. Not to mention the whole American made deal... I'm saving and an AP Mount is definitely in my future.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: ??? iOptron CEM60 or Save for an AP Mach1GTO ??? [Re: NightRyder]
      #6362189 - 02/07/14 03:14 PM

You won't regret it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics