Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1
helmswatch

Reged: 10/09/11

Loc: Granite Gap, New Mexico
Granite Gap, New Mexico new
      #5314395 - 07/12/12 02:03 PM

We just became members of the Granite Gap Community in southeastern New Mexico. We would like to hear from others in the community and from those interested in it. We plan on moving out there in the next few weeks and are very excited about it.

Duke & Kim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Granite Gap, New Mexico new [Re: helmswatch]
      #5314535 - 07/12/12 02:59 PM

Does not seem to be developing very fast. Sure you will have a place to stay in a few weeks?

I was, and still am, interested but waiting and watching.

helmswatch

Re: Granite Gap, New Mexico new [Re: DeanS]
      #5320231 - 07/16/12 12:20 PM

Kim and I just got back from Granite Gap and we are purchasing a park model and a RV site. We are excited about moving there to live year round and become involved with all the community will have to offer. The developer, Gene Turner, is fully committed to this project and I am confident, that Granite Gap will become the "Goto" dark sky destination and the standard by which astronomical communities will be gauged.

helmswatch

#6370712 - 02/11/14 04:04 PM

I am Duke and I am my wife, Kim are the caretakers of Granite Gap. We live on site in the farmhouse/clubhouse. We are working hard to make anyone's visit a pleasant one and look forward to meeting everyone. Feel free to call us anytime at 321-987-4001 or email us at helmswatch@gmail.com. Our two RVs are parked next to the farmhouse and anyone is welcome to use them. Activity at RH is picking up and will pick up here very soon. Gene is preparing crews at RH and once they he is satisfied with their skills, he will be sending them up here where Kim and I will monitor progress.

This is a huge project and has had it's ups and downs, but I have never met harder working people nor more dedicated people than Gene and Loy.

Come on out and visit.

Sincerely,
Duke & Kim

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #6370814 - 02/11/14 05:12 PM

Quote:

I am Duke and I am my wife, Kim are the caretakers of Granite Gap. We live on site in the farmhouse/clubhouse. We are working hard to make anyone's visit a pleasant one and look forward to meeting everyone. Feel free to call us anytime at 321-987-4001 or email us at helmswatch@gmail.com. Our two RVs are parked next to the farmhouse and anyone is welcome to use them. Activity at RH is picking up and will pick up here very soon. Gene is preparing crews at RH and once they he is satisfied with their skills, he will be sending them up here where Kim and I will monitor progress.

This is a huge project and has had it's ups and downs, but I have never met harder working people nor more dedicated people than Gene and Loy.

Come on out and visit.

Sincerely,
Duke & Kim

This is a nice update, Duke. My wife and I bought in a year ago and have been watching the progress, slow but steady. We're moving back to our home in Flagstaff in 6 weeks after 3 1/2 years in Indiana and we're looking forward to our first visit to GG soon after.

helmswatch

Re: Granite Gap, New Mexico [Re: rockethead26]
      #6371127 - 02/11/14 08:37 PM

Jim,

It will great to have you out here! There has been a number of people who have spent some time here and it is wonderful meeting them all. Looking forward to seeing you.

Duke

Peter D.
sage

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Central New York
      #6497801 - 04/30/14 10:45 AM

I just got back from Granite Gap last month, having recently bought in to the RV site and a personal observatory.

The RV sites didn't have electricity yet (installed, but not powered up), but there wasn't any problem setting up alongside the clubhouse where water and electricity were available. Duke and Kim were very hospitable and the clubhouse is coming along fine (great shower, books and garden).

Gene hadn't quite completed my observatory when I got there, but he had me up and running within a couple days. The electric wasn't working yet, but the underground cabling is in and Gene said that it would be activated within the following month (that was last month; I haven't heard if it's functioning yet). Gene's really dedicated, but there's still a lot to do.

I stayed for a week, and the skies were Bortle 5 or better 80% of the time that the moon wasn't up. It was Bortle 3 or better about 50% of the time, and even a perfect Bortle 1 for a night or two. The Milky Way was intense right down to the distant horizon, obstructed only by mountains many miles away. Wow; I'd seen similar skies only two or three times before in my life, and I've been to a lot of places. (Kitt Peak is even better, but so cold and windy!)

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Granite Gap, New Mexico new [Re: Peter D.]
      #6498082 - 04/30/14 01:13 PM

Glad to hear some progress is being made, may have to get out there and check it out soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1080

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics