Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new
      #6379335 - 02/16/14 12:17 PM

The Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “…

By James Edwards

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6379677 - 02/16/14 04:12 PM

47 telescopes since 2001 ?
Wow..
I hope you have finally found what you were looking for.

galaxyman
Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

Reged: 04/04/05

Loc: Limerick, Pa
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6380707 - 02/17/14 09:20 AM

Amen brother of an 8" refractor

Congrats

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.com/user/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
Vixen 5" f/5 reflector (new)
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

RGM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/03

Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: galaxyman]
      #6380725 - 02/17/14 09:30 AM

I have the 127mm f12 R30 Istar. I am looking at the 204 as my next scope. I really enjoy refractor views. In fact, my 10" Dob has not seen starlight in 2 years. The Dob can not put up the quality of views that my refractors can.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6381114 - 02/17/14 01:44 PM

Seriously, an 8" f/5.9 achromat?
That makes the chromatic aberration of this scope worse than a 6" f/5 refractor, which has some of the worst CA I've ever seen in a scope.
The 6" f/5, at least, is a short focal length, low power, wide field scope for comet hunting and wide views.

So do tell: how did you tame the CA in the scope? Which minus violet filter did you use? That might be an excellent one to use in the 6" f/5.

galaxyman

Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Starman1]
      #6381230 - 02/17/14 02:44 PM

What's interesting Don, is his review seems to be in line what a CAS member's APM 7.1" F/6 does, particularly with DSO's and using up to 300x.

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

Starman1

#6381244 - 02/17/14 02:56 PM

Quote:

What's interesting Don, is his review seems to be in line what a CAS member's APM 7.1" F/6 does, particularly with DSO's and using up to 300x.

Karl
E.O.H.

Karl,
Yeah, a good lens is a good lens. My question was about taming the CA. I wouldn't believe a claim that there was none, but sometimes having a little (i.e. using a gentle filter) is just fine.
What does the CAS 7.1" owner use?

galaxyman

#6381275 - 02/17/14 03:12 PM

Here's a short review he did.

FYI he owns some other very serious scopes like a 22" f/3.6 dob and a AP 5" APO to name a few. Also as with most of CAS (yes thanks to me), he's more of a dedicated DSO observer, and most of the time the large refractor is used for that.

APM 180 mm F/6 Achromat Deluxe :

I couldn't stand it any longer finally broke down and set up the 180 on
my deck last night on the G11 in manual mode. Using the scope's rings as a
1x reflex finder I went hunting! It was like pointing a cannon at the sky!

Without a minus violet/Fringe Killer, the Moon was awesome (36 ortho, 24
Pan, 0-18 SMC ortho, 0-12 SMC ortho and the 3-6 TV Zoom set at 3mm (360x)!)
Obvious chromatic aberration at the bright limbs either side, but tolerable.

With the Fringe Killer, it's APO like!!
I have never seen so much surface texture and detail on the Mare, subtle
contrast was amazingly detailed.

Bands of clouds kept me away from the DC and UMa galaxies and Orion was
obscured by the house (I was set up on my deck blocking the southern
horizon)! But, over head, I got M37 and M36 in Aur and M35 in Gem. Pinpoint
stars, just like diamonds on black velvet! And the COLOR of the different
stars was extremely obvious, reds and blues and orange tints.

And then my heart stopped and I had a religious experience: Saturn!

Only about 1.25 degrees below the Moon, high clouds and lousy seeing, but at
180-360X with the TV zoom, planetary banding obvious and the Cassini
division winked in and out with the seeing. Five moons easy even in the
moonglow and skyglow!

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
      #6381591 - 02/17/14 06:59 PM

In his review at the bottom he stated the weight was at 24 lbs. In Sept 2013 I E-Mailed Mike at Istar on how much the scope weighs he said the scope weighs 34 lbs not including the tube rings. This is an error and a pretty big one if someone is serious about this scope and to make sure they can handle that weight especially when mounting it on a tripod or any other support with a pier extension. I am possibly looking at one next year but have help available to mount it with out damaging it or myself. Thanks

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #6381911 - 02/17/14 10:34 PM

Quote:

That makes the chromatic aberration of this scope worse than a 6" f/5 refractor, which has some of the worst CA I've ever seen in a scope.
The 6" f/5, at least, is a short focal length, low power, wide field scope for comet hunting and wide views.

So do tell: how did you tame the CA in the scope? Which minus violet filter did you use? That might be an excellent one to use in the 6" f/5.

Don, you must have missed this part of the "review"...

"The notion that “fringing” or “false” color hinders or hampers what you see in a “doublet” is phony baloney nonsense"

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: stevew]
      #6381985 - 02/17/14 11:26 PM

Quote:

"The notion that “fringing” or “false” color hinders or hampers what you see in a “doublet” is phony baloney nonsense"

This could be a very nice deep sky telescope but it would be a niche telescope. ANYTHING bright would have horrendous false color.

Starman1

Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: stevew]
      #6382107 - 02/18/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don, you must have missed this part of the "review"...

Having owned a 6" f/5 and a 4" f/15, and, now, a 4" f/5.4 apo, I can only say, "to each his own". Chromatic aberration definitely spoils the view of Moon, planets, and bright double stars. Deep sky? You're right.
Anything brighter than about 3rd or 4th magnitude? Give me an apo or a reflector. The 6" f/5 even still had too much false purple for me with the "atom bomb" of minus violet filters, the Baader Contrast Booster. I eventually sold it.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #6382141 - 02/18/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This could be a very nice deep sky telescope but it would be a niche telescope. ANYTHING bright would have horrendous false color.

Even some of the fainter doubles might have some haziness around them which some people might object to. Even my 100mm f/6 doublet has faint almost colorless halos around many doubles that really impacts the view at higher power, especially when trying for very faint companion stars that might get buried in that haze. Indeed, some tighter open clusters or globulars could get a little dose of extra "haze" in them with 8 inches of f/5.9 achromatic doublet to play with, although the aperture would certainly resolve them well. I suspect that my old 8 inch f/7 Newtonian or my friend's 8 inch f/5 RFT probably could probably do a little better planet-wise, although the 8 inch f/5.9 refractor could get true fields of view of up to 2.2 degrees or so with somewhat better edge illumination. Oh well, whatever trips your trigger (especially for around $3000). Clear skies to you.

galaxyman

Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6382379 - 02/18/14 09:17 AM

Interesting that we seemingly are trying to dimminish what the owner of this scope saw through the scope. He seems to be quite positive on the views and scope.

I do understand why he seems so positive on the scope, not so much because of my longer focal length 8", but what has been seen in the APM 7.1" f/6. Yes, globs at high power in that scope also "rocks" as being well resolved to crisp points.

I'm sure if you send a PM to Deep Sky moderator Mr Mitsky, who has seen through this 7.1"

I am anxious to read more observing notes down the road from the owner of this 8" refractor.

Karl
E.O.H.

Celestron 10x60mm Binos

David Knisely
Postmaster

#6383160 - 02/18/14 03:53 PM

galaxyman wrote:

Quote:

Interesting that we seemingly are trying to dimminish what the owner of this scope saw through the scope. He seems to be quite positive on the views and scope.

I do understand why he seems so positive on the scope, not so much because of my longer focal length 8", but what has been seen in the APM 7.1" f/6. Yes, globs at high power in that scope also "rocks" as being well resolved to crisp points.

I'm sure if you send a PM to Deep Sky moderator Mr Mitsky, who has seen through this 7.1"

I am anxious to read more observing notes down the road from the owner of this 8" refractor.

I don't think anyone is diminishing what the owner saw in the scope at all. From his almost gushing report, he seems quite happy with it (and more power to him if he likes what he got). However, as a true review, this article lacks some of the vital critical analysis which really needed to be there to make the article somewhat more useful. We need to know if this objective is some kind of "miracle" and tames chromatic aberration enough to work well, rather than being just another simple achromat (which I suspect the 8 inch f/5.9 actually is). The author hardly mentions how much false color there was in the views, and does not fully explore this in terms of the magnification when it became visible and how it varied between bright and fainter targets. Were there faint halos around double stars and how big were they? Did a minus-violet filter need to be employed at higher magnifications? How much scattered light appeared around brighter objects? Questions like this weren't really answered properly. All he says is the somewhat questionable response of:

"False color is prevalent on brighter objects (planetary, moon and larger stars) but guess what? The notion that “fringing” or “false” color hinders or hampers what you see in a “doublet” is phony baloney nonsense, "

For many observers, this latter statement is definitely not true. Without some really exotic (and expensive) optics, a two-element eight inch achromat at f/5.9 will show some really significant residual chromatic aberration, which those of us who have used such scopes of significant aperture know quite well. This color excess reduces the contrast of finer planetary detail and impacts the view notably at high magnifications much more than in reflectors or refractors of significantly longer f/ratios. It is nice to report on some of the good qualities that an instrument might have and how much fun one can have with it, but as a "review", this report left me with a few more questions than answers. Clear skies to you.

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
      #6383549 - 02/18/14 07:47 PM

You guys are so mean. Do you just like to hear yourself type?

The reviewer "gushed" about the deep sky views. Planetary views getting a 3.5/5 rating (70/100) is not gushing. In fact, I would call that panning. “False color is prevalent on brighter objects”. Prevalent=dominant. It doesn’t sound like he was mincing his words or glossing over the deficiencies. “WHAT the 204 gives you is breath taking views that more than compensate for any color that shows”. That must be what set you guys off!! Way too much joy there.

The man is experienced, has owned some high(er) end refractors and was relating his joy of deep sky viewing with an 8" doublet. 8" is where deep sky views start to really get fun, noticeably brighter and more extensive. Some objects can start to take on a 3D look. He didn't write the review for you guys or perhaps you should have sent him your checklist so his review would have met your standard. What's with the straw man “We need to know if this objective is some kind of "miracle" and tames chromatic aberration enough to work well, rather than being just another simple achromat”. I could suggest you lower your proboscis enough to look over it and google the Istar website. But I won’t suggest that because I’ll bet a chocolate chip cookie you know darned well it is a simple achromat. And congratulations, you beat down two straw men in one paragraph, double stars (objects he didn’t even discuss).

Oh, I don’t want to neglect the red herring: “So do tell: how did you tame the CA in the scope?” Prevalent=dominant. There’s a lot of attitude in that sentence, Don. (Me too in this missive) :>)

"If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right." But apparently the fun needs to be pre-approved.

Big tough guys here.
Give it a rest.
Oh, yeah. To keep it all pleasant:
Clear Skies

galaxyman

#6383567 - 02/18/14 07:58 PM

Hi David

Certainly and I respect your comments, and one reason why I want to read a more detailed observing report.

What I find interesting is that James (the owner) seems to be experienced, and has written reviews of other quality scopes here on CN. So I may take it from his experience that the scope is quite good, for that’s all I can go on short of actually viewing through the scope.

The one thing that may need to be acknowledged, is though I’m sure it’s a standard doublet achro, the optical quality (including using high quality glass) may be far better (as mine is), then the standard mass-produced Celestron (Synta) achromats.

I can tell you with all honesty that his rave or shall we say positive review did not surprise me. Partly yes because what I’ve seen with my own 8” refractor albeit longer focal length, but again as I mention the APM 7.1” f/6, which of course is close to the instrument in this review as in aperture and focal ratio.

The owner here has pushed this scope, as you can read in the short review I posted above.

I’ve seen this scope many times in action, and the views even at 300x plus using high quality eyepieces are quite good. Whether it is a small planetary nebula or a tight glob.

We’ve seen 14th mag plus galaxies in this scope from good (not great dark sites).

Anyway, maybe the owner of this Istar 8” scope will post some more comments here or answer any questions, and hopefully a detailed observing report.

Karl
E.O.H.

Vixen 5.1" f/5 reflector
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #6383864 - 02/18/14 11:50 PM

Jim Curry posted:

Quote:

You guys are so mean. Do you just like to hear yourself type?

No, I just wanted more information. My questions were not answered quite completely enough by this review for the reasons I stated earlier, that's all.

Quote:

The reviewer "gushed" about the deep sky views. Planetary views getting a 3.5/5 rating (70/100) is not gushing. In fact, I would call that panning. “False color is prevalent on brighter objects”. Prevalent=dominant. It doesn’t sound like he was mincing his words or glossing over the deficiencies. “WHAT the 204 gives you is breath taking views that more than compensate for any color that shows”. That must be what set you guys off!! Way too much joy there.

No, you have definitely overreacted to what I have said. When someone says "refractor", many observers think, PLANETS, as planetary viewing is what they tend to be most known for. I know some refractor "lovers" who put up with the fairly minor chromatic aberration in their D&G f/12 to f/15 large refractors in the six to eight inch aperture range and yet still complain about it (at least a little). They would very probably be a lot more critical of an f/5.9 8 inch doublet unless some more detailed information was presented about how it performed as far as color excess is concerned. Instead of just the quick "on a planetary scale the jury is still out, but Mars and Jupiter looked good (3.5 out of 5)" statement, it would have been nice if the author of the article had been somewhat more descriptive about what the scope exhibited in that residual color on the moon, planets, and double stars. That way, one could truly judge if the statement of "breath taking views that more than compensate for any color that shows", is fairly accurate. We just need a little more information and not blanket emotional statements like "The notion that “fringing” or “false” color hinders or hampers what you see in a “doublet” is phony baloney nonsense". Like the author, I enjoy what my simple f/6 doublet does at low to moderate power on deep-sky objects, but for the planets or double stars, well, it is functional but isn't exactly overwhelming. It would have been nice to put a little more in the description of the views at high power in that 8 inch f/5.9 refractor, and on objects other than the deep-sky ones which the author obviously feels are the forte of that instrument.

Quote:

What's with the straw man “We need to know if this objective is some kind of "miracle" and tames chromatic aberration enough to work well, rather than being just another simple achromat”

It is not a "straw man" argument. There are recent (and sometimes fairly frequent) changes in optical materials and design that have made a few 2-element achromats perform notably better than earlier designs (in some cases, almost as well as some of their more expensive 3-element bretheren). I would have been interested to see if this objective was better than what I have seen previously with 2-element objectives (especially those with f/ratios below f/10). In the past, I have been pleasantly surprised occasionally by something like the Vixen 103mm f/7.7 doublet which gave sharp almost color-free images of Jupiter one night at the Nebraska Star Party (wish I would have bought that one). I can't really effectively judge how good the eight inch performed based on a simple "3.5/5" rating. I needed just a little more. It's that simple.

Quote:

And congratulations, you beat down two straw men in one paragraph, double stars (objects he didn’t even discuss).

Again, not a straw man, but missing information in that the reviewer didn't discuss doubles at moderate to high powers. Refractors are a mainstay of many double star observers, so again, it would have been nice if the reviewer had included at least a few in his tests of the instrument. With a short f/ratio achromatic doublet, there would undoubtedly be at least some issues with the performance on some close brighter doubles, but it would have been nice to know exactly how good (or bad) the instrument performed on them.

Quote:

But apparently the fun needs to be pre-approved.

Nope, it doesn't have to have any "approval". I would have just liked the reviewer to have covered a little more of the bases when it comes to something I might want to someday purchase. I guess the only way to judge this instrument is to see it at a star party and get a look for myself. Clear skies to you.

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
      #6383918 - 02/19/14 12:28 AM

It's a golf club.

I have a 6" f5.9 and I know better than to point it at a planet or the Moon. I do love the crisp stars delivered to my eye in a huge FOV. Knowing the limitations of this optic, and its strengths, I employ it as a putter.

If I need to look at colourless views of the Moon or planets, I'll grab my 7" LX200 Mak, my driver.

Thank you for the review, been drooling over this OTA for a while, you confirmed my suspicions.

What I would like to know from the reviewer, it looks like you said the rings and dovetail were included. However, on the Istar site, it looks like the scope is a-la-carte. What was the total cost of the scope as reviewed, did the focuser come from Istar installed?

Starman1

Re: Istar Phoenix WFT 204 “Comet HUNTER “… new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #6383997 - 02/19/14 02:16 AM

Quote:

The reviewer "gushed" about the deep sky views. Planetary views getting a 3.5/5 rating (70/100) is not gushing. In fact, I would call that panning. “False color is prevalent on brighter objects”. Prevalent=dominant.

Oh, I don’t want to neglect the red herring: “So do tell: how did you tame the CA in the scope?” Prevalent=dominant. There’s a lot of attitude in that sentence, Don. (Me too in this missive) :>)

Actually, you read into my words a meaning they didn't have. Since he had said what he did, I actually was curious about how he compensated for it.
I know a short achromat will work fine on deep sky--I enjoyed my 6" f/5--but there are a lot of objects up there where the false color would be obtrusive.
The reviewer of the 7.1" mentioned he used a Baader Fringe Killer filter, whose characteristics are well known. Had this reviewer mentioned his solution for violet fringing, it would speak volumes on just how tamable the violet was.
I used a Baader Contrast Booster on the 6" f/5, and it was barely strong enough. In one sentence, you know exactly how my scope was on bright objects.
Perhaps the author didn't buy the scope for any purpose requiring a minus violet filter, and if so, that's just fine. I was merely asking.

Edited by Starman1 (02/19/14 02:18 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4617

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics