Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Copernicus1473

Reged: 07/06/12

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Copernicus1473]
      #6250583 - 12/13/13 10:06 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

Picture #2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Copernicus1473

#6250585 - 12/13/13 10:07 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

Picture #3

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
      #6250608 - 12/13/13 10:17 AM

Jack, the tubing on your tripod legs appears to have a much heavier wall thickness compared to our 1971 model.

Edit: Ahh, that appears to be a camera issue, my camera seems to enhance the actual size also; please disregard this post.

Edited by Mike E. (12/13/13 10:26 AM)

NeilR

Reged: 02/18/08

#6250620 - 12/13/13 10:21 AM

Thanks, Jack. It cleared up some confusion I had as to the design.

Somewhere on the Yahoo group there is a discussion about the assembly of the push fit legs. Supposedly someone had a pile of legs in front of them. For each mount different legs were picked from the pile to see which fit the best.

If that is true, then each leg would have to go in a specific leg hole, since the tolerance would vary by leg hole? I'd have to go back and find that thread to see if that was addressed. Just a factoid from a long ago discussion.

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: NeilR]
      #6264519 - 12/20/13 09:43 PM

That is a BEAUTIFUL scope you found. I know nothing of Questar, other than seeing pictures as a kid. I bet you're feeling happy learning it's history!

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6268020 - 12/23/13 06:55 AM

Hi Robert,

Thank you. I didn't know very much about Q's until getting this one. I have enjoyed looking into the night sky for most of my life (naked eye or cheap pair of binoculars). I showed my children most of the major constellations and even convinced one of my daughter's to take an astronomy class in high school. Unfortunately, she didn't enjoy the class too much. Most of the class focused on "theory or book knowledge" instead of taking them outside to learn the constellations and how to use a telescope. To redeem myself (when she comes to visit), I have taken out my Dob and shown her Jupiter and Saturn.

Yes, learning the history of the scope and the previous owner has been very fascinating and educational. I haven't had the chance to use it yet. Either work has gotten in the way or the weather has been very uncooperative. I must say that I am looking forward to using it. Have a great day and clear skies to you. Merry Christmas!

Best Regards,
Jack

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
      #6268241 - 12/23/13 10:02 AM

Lol.... that's how it is with kids. When Jupiter was visible in the morning, my daughters would want to look before school. It was nice. Our youngest is 11 TODAY! She's having a party.
Yes, I was imagining what it would be like to buy something and then find out it and the owners history. It would be quite interesting.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6273182 - 12/26/13 07:32 AM

Kids...they certainly know how to make us laught! I hope that your youngest had a great birthday party! Once I get a chance to use it I will post my first impressions on the scope. I will also take the advice of some of the posters and use it during the day to get my feet wet. Learning to do the polar alignment might prove to be an interesting exercise

Orion68

Reged: 01/18/14

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Billydee]
      #6380333 - 02/17/14 12:13 AM

Bill,

I just ordered one of the adapters from Questar. They are indeed $85, as you said. I forgot to ask when I ordered the adapter, will I be able to use the Brandon screw in eyepieces with the adapter(circa 1978)?

Thanks, Tim

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Question and Advice [Re: Orion68]
      #6381402 - 02/17/14 04:53 PM

Tim,

You will be able to use any EP with your new adapter.

Bill

peashooter1982
journeyman

Reged: 09/21/13

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: starboy1954]
      #6476504 - 04/19/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

It literally takes minutes to set up and break down. Not to mention if you're using the supplied legs on a table top (I use a hefty picnic table) you can do it all comfortably sitting down. Atlases, iPad, etc. all within easy reach on the table! The viewing experience is so seamless and effortless.

Wonderfully crisp views. Only 3.5 in, yes, but I can count on one hand the number of times seeing provided me with optimal 8 in views with my C8.

Of course the C8 beats it on clusters and galaxies but once again my city skies are so light polluted that lunar, planetary, and double star viewing is what I do anyway. Q rocks here.

I must say I have never yet taken the little Q to a really, really dark site. I'm curious how it performs there.

One of the darker sites I've experienced was at the edge of the Everglades in an undeveloped real estate development, formerly used by the SW Florida Astronomical Society for their star parties. Observing M46 one night, I spotted the planetary nebula NGC 2438 (confirmed by other observers at the site). This planetary is rated at magnitude 10.8.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5020

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics