Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
PE logging with Metaguide? new
      #6376234 - 02/14/14 02:32 PM

I have been using PHD for guiding and measuring PE of my mount by turning off guide commands. I am thinking of using Metaguide but saw no way to turn off guide commands. How does one log the PE?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
diurnal

Reged: 07/24/13

Loc: Alabama
Re: PE logging with Metaguide? new [Re: Stew57]
      #6376639 - 02/14/14 07:05 PM

PecPrep is a free program that will take phd logs and show you your PE.

also there is like 6 videos on youtube to show you how to use it.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: PE logging with Metaguide? new [Re: diurnal]
      #6378071 - 02/15/14 04:31 PM

Thanks I will search some more. I have used PECPREP with PHD. I was wanting to record the data using metaguide. Thanks again.

freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

#6380619 - 02/17/14 08:11 AM

Quote:

I am thinking of using Metaguide but saw no way to turn off guide commands. How does one log the PE?

Hi-

MG works very well for guide logging - with or without guiding enabled. It records logs in three different formats, one of which works directly with PECPrep from the EQMod project.

It is different in several ways because it uses video to calculate the centroid accurately, and it logs values every second, regardless of the guide period or exposure.

The simplest way to record a log is just to connect a video camera, enter the focal length and pixel size, and then press "Log". It will then begin a dump of output files with the pixel x,y locations and the locations in arc-seconds.

If you want to record a log with guiding enabled, just press the Calibrate button and it will calibrate on a star in about 1 minute, then press Guide, and then press Log.

Each file is annotated with the information about the setup so that you can relate the values to what it assumes about the focal length and other parameters.

The full log records the current settings for values like aggressiveness, so you can study them to determine the best settings.

More details can be found in the docs, and by looking at the headers of the log files that are output.

Frank

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: PE logging with Metaguide? new [Re: freestar8n]
      #6380674 - 02/17/14 09:06 AM

Thanks a bunch. I only had a brief opportunity to use it. I only logged my guided info. It looks like a very nice program for a video camera user.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

#6382096 - 02/18/14 01:39 AM

so does it work better than phd? I downloaded this and FlexRX, and have been meaning to try them out.

freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

Re: PE logging with Metaguide? [Re: calypsob]
      #6382269 - 02/18/14 07:41 AM

MG came out many years ago and was designed from the start to take advantage of video features to reduce the impact of seeing on centroids that impact autoguiding, collimation, and PE logging. It is easy to use, also partly because everything is "live" with video - but ease of use wasn't the main goal. The main goal was to experiment with novel video approaches to guiding, logging, and collimation to achieve better results.

When people record PE logs with updates every 3 seconds and a blurred star spot, the log will lose resolution that would reveal gear noise that is important to guiding. With MG you get updates every second with an accurate centroid, less affected by seeing, and the result can tell you more about the mount.

It works directly with PECPrep to study the gear terms - or the detailed log outputs, with 30-40 columns, can be used for custom analysis.

When used in combination with FlexRX, you have a unique solution based on free tools to compensate for flexure in a guidescope guided image - by plate solving and dynamically shifting the guidestar. I don't know anything else that does this.

Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 280

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics