Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
cloudking

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA
Need help with camera control
      #6430753 - 03/26/14 05:13 PM

Hello CN been away for a while. briefly I us a edge 11 w/ Hyperstar III on an g11 with a new camera an sx674 trius and am having communication problem with cameras. I use a sx loadstar for guiding with PHD and nebulosity for acquiring images. just got the sx 674 and now when I connect both cameras using 50 foot repeater cables ( 2 ) into my house ( one for loadstar and one for main camera ) my laptop only sees one camera at a time and will image and guide from one or the other. if I connect with the shorter cables supplied at the mount the software recognizes both cameras and asks me to choose. I need advise on controlling from longer distances my other camera is a modified DSLR and I never had this problem before. really need to control cameras from house , very cold in winter and lots of dew and mosquitos in summer. please help

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NOMH
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Re: Need help with camera control new [Re: cloudking]
      #6430917 - 03/26/14 06:44 PM

I just had a problem with a 50' active usb cable not seeing a DMK51 video camera. I tried a Dyconn powered hub and it fixed the problem.

JB

cloudking

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA
Re: Need help with camera control new [Re: NOMH]
      #6431754 - 03/27/14 06:37 AM

Hi nomh, I looked at the hub you redommed and just wondered where do you locate it , at the scope or at the laptop. I guess you would put it at the mount and it boosts the signal going into the house? please let me know how you configure yours

Dan Crowson
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: O'Fallon, MO
Re: Need help with camera control new [Re: cloudking]
      #6432675 - 03/27/14 04:46 PM

Save yourself hassles an buy a cheap, used Dell laptop from eBay and just leave it by the mount. You can then remotely control it from inside wirelesly (or wired).

Dan

NOMH
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Re: Need help with camera control new [Re: Dan Crowson]
      #6433001 - 03/27/14 07:21 PM

I have the powered hub next to the laptop. So it is the laptop, then the powered hub, next is the 50' active cable, and then the video camera. I like this setup for solar as it gets hot here and I don't want the laptop to get cooked. I use the laptop in my observatory to image and control the mount with my solar setup outside of the observatory.

Dan also has a good point with two laptops. I use this setup for night time imaging in my observatory and it works well. I did need to add a wifi signal booster at that side of the house to get a strong signal. Without the strong signal you could run into communication delays between the computers.

JB

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Need help with camera control new [Re: NOMH]
      #6435825 - 03/29/14 10:27 AM

Equipment powered via a USB cable rarely works properly on the end of an active repeater cable. The best solution is to use a powered hub at the mount to provide proper DC power to the device.

If you have a long run from the computer to the mount, an ICRON Ranger USB over Ethernet system will allow up to 300' between the computer and the mount and will maintain USB2 transfer speeds for all devices. It's an expensive solution but works reliably.

Phil

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics