Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Chris Ward

Reged: 07/14/13

What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new
      #6426807 - 03/24/14 03:41 PM

What kind of view of planets and DSO are you going to get with a 8" Parabolic lens telescope?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Chris Ward]
      #6426843 - 03/24/14 04:05 PM

with my smooth 1/4~ undercorrected 8in dob, even when jupiter was about 30* above the horizon, I got some amazing detail in the bands.

I had to wait for moments for the air to stop moving and then viola 4 secs of crisp detail, then air currents blur it up, then wait...the air stills and viola, wow.

all in my 1/4~ undercorrected, nice edge, smooth mirror, the secondary is at least 1/8~.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6426882 - 03/24/14 04:26 PM

PLanetary views in an 8" can be excellent as long as the atmosphere cooperates and optical quality, collimation, and thermal management are all attended to. For DSO's there is plenty to see, but the best views will under dark skies and on brighter objects. Faint DSO's need a bit more aperture to show detail, although hundreds of objects can certainly be detected.

JimC

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6426905 - 03/24/14 04:38 PM

An 8" can show tens of thousands of deep-sky objects, if the observer is skilled and the sky dark and clear. Many hundreds of objects will show some degree of details, with dozens showing lots of details.

The Moon will show myriad craters, rilles, mountains and countless other things.

The major planets will all show lots of details, given good seeing.

There are thousands of double stars within the resolution limit. A few show orbital motion in just a few years.

The Sun (with a proper filter) will show minute-to-minute changes every day, all year. Sunspots will show fantastic details.

An 8" scope can be the scope for a lifetime. You will never run out of things to see. No one alive has ever seen more than a fraction of what is within the reach of an 8" scope.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Chris Ward]
      #6427536 - 03/24/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

What kind of view of planets and DSO are you going to get with a 8" Parabolic lens telescope?

Thanks

If you are considering an 8 inch lens, you will get more answers in the refractor forum.

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: stevew]
      #6429092 - 03/25/14 08:18 PM

When I was looking for a first telescope, surfing the web for information, I read somewhere, "nothing under 8".

An 8" will give awesome views of the planets the moon and the entire Messier catalog and then some.

In other words you cannot go wrong.

Al

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: LateViewer]
      #6429708 - 03/26/14 06:45 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere, "nothing under 8".

Lies and slander. You can start with something significantly smaller and still get rewarding views or you could start with a 16" and be met with nothing but disappointment (I've seen both cases IRL). It depends solely on the observer's attitude and expectations.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (03/26/14 06:48 AM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #6429717 - 03/26/14 07:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I read somewhere, "nothing under 8".

Lies and slander. You can start with something significantly smaller and still get rewarding views or you could start with a 16" and be met with nothing but disappointment (I've seen both cases IRL). It depends solely on the observer's attitude and expectations.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

So very true. Satisfaction and disappointment depend on the observer and not the telescope.

That said, I think Al's intent was simply to reaffirm your comments, that indeed an 8 inch is a very capable scope, it can be the scope for a lifetime.

Jon

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6429895 - 03/26/14 09:34 AM

Hey guys, I own two much smaller scopes and they are great. 92mm and 66mm refractors. And yes I was just affirming that 8" is great size.

I think an 8" Dob at the general price point in the retail world is a great value.

Al

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: LateViewer]
      #6430441 - 03/26/14 02:49 PM

Very nice, satisfying views with 8" scopes with commercial optics. My 8" dobs put up better overall views than my 8" SCT did. Both were satisfying though.

Phillip CreedModerator
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" new [Re: Starman81]
      #6430830 - 03/26/14 05:55 PM

The 8" f/6 is by far the best-bang-for-the-buck in this hobby. That's enough aperture to really open things up on planets and DSO's (under dark skies), it's very portable, very affordable, and at f/6, it's easier on eyepieces (and eyepiece budgets!) than larger models with =/< f/5 mirrors.

Clear Skies,
Phil

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: What kind of views are you going to get with 8" [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6431403 - 03/26/14 11:07 PM

Quote:

The 8" f/6 is by far the best-bang-for-the-buck in this hobby. That's enough aperture to really open things up on planets and DSO's (under dark skies), it's very portable, very affordable, and at f/6, it's easier on eyepieces (and eyepiece budgets!) than larger models with =/< f/5 mirrors. Clear Skies, Phil

I agree with Phil. Also, a three or four inch refractor could be considered.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 736

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics