Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
karstenkoch
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: KBP]
      #6429900 - 03/26/14 09:39 AM

Mars and Jupiter in my WO binoviewer, ES 3x focal extender, and SV102ED. Yes, I think I've found a way to reliably get merged images in those things, but that's a whole separate story with as many questions still as answers. I'll do a longer post on it as soon as I can get to it. But, all I could keep thinking as I was gawking at those two planets was "two-eyed image error correction is a wonderful thing..."

Saw two dark surface details (darker blobs) on Mars. Saw a tiny white speck, wondered if it was the ice cap, checked SkySafari today and sure enough it was right where I thought I saw it. Cool.

Stared and stared at Jupiter, but just couldn't get the GRS again. I don't think I've ever seen it. Must be doing sumpin' wrong.

Edited by karstenkoch (03/26/14 09:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6429970 - 03/26/14 10:20 AM

watched a movie on netflix called the giant mechanical man with jenna fischer, pam from the office. she has a nice little career going on in these indie films. also watched half of a documentary about a guy named kenny shopsin who has a restaurant in greenwich village. watching the end right now. he's a nutcase. kind of of like the soup nazi. will not seat a party of 5, for whatever reason.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6429980 - 03/26/14 10:31 AM

Quote:

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went until it dawned on me! The next morning I tried to catch some fog. I mist!

That's snow excuse!

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: hm insulators]
      #6430060 - 03/26/14 11:17 AM

M.A.S.H., the movie.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #6430338 - 03/26/14 01:50 PM

The ####### snow coming down in this never ending winter,DA

Abhat
sage

Reged: 12/14/13

Loc: Middletown, MD
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #6430358 - 03/26/14 01:57 PM

Today 5-7 AM - Crescent Moon, Boilng Venus over neighbors roof, Blurry Mars and good view of Saturn. Slipped on snow but was lucky not to get hurt and damage the scope.

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: Abhat]
      #6430366 - 03/26/14 02:01 PM

Abhat- ditto! Just no snow or falling.

npc

Reged: 03/23/13

Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: Dadadee]
      #6430589 - 03/26/14 03:48 PM

Quote:

What did you watch last night? How was it?

Nothing remarkable last night (3/25), but the night before last I took the scope out to a fairly dark sky site (high quality green site, bordering on blue). The highlight of the night was clearly seeing the zodiacal light for the first time. I'm pretty sure I've spotted it before, but on this night the site was chosen to provide a good view of it this time of year, the best time to view it after sunset. It was pretty spectacular, stretching further up into the sky than I had expected.

I then spent some time hunting for some obscure NGC open clusters that had eluded me this winter in Gemini, Monoceros, and Puppis. Found a bunch, but many still eluded me, and I probably need a darker site or more aperture to find the rest on my list.

I sketched a wide field view of the sword of Orion complex, including views of NGCs 1977 and 1980. I couldn't quite also get NGC 1981 in the same field of view. There's a lot going on there that warrants still further study. The sketch isn't great, as I messed up some of the perspective, but it required me to examine each component carefully, which, for me, is the real purpose of sketching. Nobody is going to find any scientific or artistic value in my sketches.

Of course there were views of many Messier objects, but most of the evening was devoted to more obscure objects. Of the Messier targets, the one I enjoyed the most was M104, as with averted vision I believe I could pick out the dust lane, which is the first time I've done so with this telescope.

Then I spent most of the rest of the evening looking for NGC galaxies in Leo, Ursa Major, and Sextans. Of these, I found NGC 3521 in Leo to be a surprisingly fine galaxy. I see it listed in some object lists, such as the RASC guide's suggested NGC objects list, but based on my limited observations it deserves a lot more attention than it seems to me it gets. It's a better object than a significant number of Messier Virgo galaxies, for example. How something like NGC 147 makes the Caldwell list and this doesn't I'll never understand.

The transparency was very good, but the seeing was quite remarkable, maybe rating an 8 on the Pickering scale, which made this a really good night for observing. It did get cold enough to require a jacket over my sweatshirt and light gloves, but that's what I expect this time of year at this site. Overall, it was an excellent night of observing, thanks for asking!

patg43
sage

Reged: 12/20/13

Loc: Union, Washington
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: npc]
      #6430926 - 03/26/14 06:47 PM

Star Trek, It's still an awesome movie. SeaWolfe, you should have been outside at 8:20 to 8:22, it was clear as a bell!

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: patg43]
      #6431041 - 03/26/14 07:35 PM

tv

Dadadee
sage

Reged: 12/05/13

Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada
Re: What did you watch last night? [Re: maugi88]
      #6431436 - 03/26/14 11:32 PM

I had a nasty day at the office. Once my kids were in bed, i had documents to read to get ready for 3 meetings tomorrow which will likely be worst than today... But I had put my scope out at 7pm, just in case...

Before going to bed, i had a look outside. Ok, before getting the scope in, i will have a look at Jupiter. It was the best moment of my day! Seeing was just ok. Colors were great. Nice spectacle! 272x and 240x were acceptable but best view was with my barlow 12mm Delos. Gosh, I love that eyepiece!

Being in Gemini, why not have a peak at M35? Second best moment of my day. I could see the smaller NGC cluster just beside. Extremely pretty.

After 40 minutes, it was time to get in. I will sleep better. Astronomy is good for my stress.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
      #6431724 - 03/27/14 05:35 AM

Grizzly Adams

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: maugi88]
      #6434432 - 03/28/14 01:28 PM

My wife made me watch survivor. Today she is making me take her to see Noah. I refuse to watch American Idol. Married life is great.

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: pstarr]
      #6434939 - 03/28/14 06:35 PM

I saw Mars again but only for a brief moment....the clouds found the whole in the sky and corrected their mistake.

ve1drg
journeyman

Reged: 10/15/13

Loc: Florida
      #6435698 - 03/29/14 08:44 AM

I went out last night to look at M49 in Virgo.
I was using only my binoculars. Couldn't stay long as the bugs/mosquitoes were too strong for me. So back in the house and another movie on the TV.
But nice to get out often which I do here in Florida.

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: ve1drg]
      #6435771 - 03/29/14 09:47 AM

Quote:

I went out last night to look at M49 in Virgo.
I was using only my binoculars. Couldn't stay long as the bugs/mosquitoes were too strong for me. So back in the house and another movie on the TV.
But nice to get out often which I do here in Florida.

Bugs?, we have 6" of snow coming tonight. Bugs sound good about now.

Dadadee
sage

Reged: 12/05/13

Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: pstarr]
      #6441082 - 04/01/14 09:10 AM

M38, M36, M37 in Auriga
M35 in Gemini
Castor, alpha Gemini, split the double star
M44 in Cancer
M67 at the bottom of Cancer, first time I ever saw that cluster in a telescope
Iota Cancer, a nice blue/golden double star. Another first for me. :-)

I finished with Jupiter and Mars. I did not see anything on Mars...

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
      #6441106 - 04/01/14 09:32 AM

Dexter on Netflix... Cloudy...

rowdy388
sage

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: Saratoga County, NY
Re: What did you watch last night? new [Re: Escher]
      #6441194 - 04/01/14 10:34 AM

It has been a windy, rainy past three days. Last night late it finally settled down and I went outside before turning in and the sky was great. I turned the house lights off and just spent an hour naked eye reacquainting with the dim constellations as my eyes adjusted. Leo Minor, Lynx, Cancer, Sextans, Crater, and the beautiful big Coma Cluster which was nearly overhead. I slept well.
Dave Y

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: What did you watch last night? [Re: KBP]
      #6441574 - 04/01/14 01:43 PM

First clearish night for awhile so took a couple of shots of M82 and its fading SN 2014J -now a pretty orange and nearby M81 Bodes gxy then NGC 2436 feable gxy in Draco before cloud over. Posted M82 pic from obsy moments later onto CN - good fun:-)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1175

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics