Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: A Grab&Go Video Astro setup - ready in 3min! new [Re: core]
      #6430703 - 03/26/14 04:49 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I've also added an even smaller setup - Objective is Borg 50mm f/5. Mount is Celestron GT, and I use the wireless video option as well. I'm waiting on a 60mm Borg object that bumps up the focal length from 250mm to 325mm.

What's really nice is that with the 250mm focal length, all I need is the RDF to get any alignment stars in the camera's FOV (and to be honest, aligning this setup is even faster than the Sky Prodigy setup!).

Unfortunately it looks like the GT mount won't work with SkyQ or any other wireless controller (replacing the hand controller).

I've also gotten an even smaller mount, the LCM to play around with (this one's suppose to be wireless compatible - my end goal is to setup a back-pack-able, goto astro video setup that will give me the same visual DSO as an 8" dob or larger )

Speaking of which, the performance of the Borg/MCµ is surprising very good - I routinely get performance that beats visual 8" dob in suburban skies - FOV is liken to a wide field 2" ~30mm eyepiece.

Consider this my Rich-Field G&G AstroVid

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6431065 - 03/26/14 07:53 PM

Can you post a link to,your wireless transmitter. Does it have a receiver at the other end?

Al

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: A Grab&Go Video Astro setup - ready in 3min! new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6431091 - 03/26/14 08:07 PM

Wow, this is cool stuff. very nice for grab n go easy video. Makes it look very easy.

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: A Grab&Go Video Astro setup - ready in 3min! [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6431443 - 03/26/14 11:35 PM

Here's the amazon store link for the 2.4Ghz video transmitter pair. Comes with both TX and RX. The transmitter has a switched power pass-thru plug, ie, when you apply power to the TX, the same 12V is switched on to another plug that you power a CCTV camera with. I measuered the current draw for box TX and RX to be around .12A

One interesting point, threre are a couple of LCD's meant for CCTV/FPV applications which have 2.4GHz video RX built in, along with DVR recording. eg, Search ebay for "8 channels wireless receiver 5" DVR".

This link is for a 3.5" LCD monitor on amazon store for $18 which I intended to add to my setups.

On ebay, do a search for 12V LiPo CCTV and you'll get a ton of options available. On a side note, I am still a little weary with regards to some of these LiPo batteries and their quality and keep an eye on them when recharging. Was one of the early adopters almost a decade ago when we first used it for R/C planes, and quite a few fires were inadvertently started.

I was hoping to do a Messier Marathon this year with the Borg setup, which should be quite easy, but will be running another astro video at the club's scope for the event.

core
Pooh-Bah

#6482549 - 04/23/14 03:14 AM

Another update. The MiniBorg 50 @250mm makes it pretty easy to frame closely grouped DSO's such as Leo triplet and M81/82 (as with my previous setup using 4" achro with reducer); should get interesting in the Sagittarius region once it gets up high enough for me. For a slightly better image scale, I've swapped out the objective for a Borg 60n (325mm f/5.4 achro, Pentax origin iirc). M97 is a ghostly hint in my orange/red zone backyard, but I'm pleased that M82 does show a little color. Globs are great! Pics show M13 and M82 on LCD screen.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#6482739 - 04/23/14 08:18 AM

2.4GHz video transmitter (especially cheaper ones which are analog modulation) caveat:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2074830

Low powered ones on ISM band 2.4GHz probably will be okay, but still has to watch out for interference with near by WiFi and Bluetooth (no guarantee.)

Also the cheapo LCD monitor does not have high resolution LCD glass.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

jambi99
sage

Reged: 08/14/10

Loc: Québec, Canada
      #6492621 - 04/27/14 08:27 PM

Core,

nice setup! How well does the 100mm F/5 achro for video at f2.5 optically? Also, how long exposure can you get with this setup (max)?

Thanks!

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

Re: A Grab&Go Video Astro setup - ready in 3min! new [Re: jambi99]
      #6493077 - 04/28/14 12:42 AM

Core what camera and lcd screen are you using? Yes this cool! Instead of using a battery could the camera and lcd
be powered by AC? Thanks De Lorme

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: A Grab&Go Video Astro setup - ready in 3min! new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6495210 - 04/29/14 05:19 AM

Thanks all for the compliments and input!

Thanks for the heads up with regards to possible 2.4GHz interference - it's definitely the cheaper analog ones. I had the TX on for +6hrs during the recent lunar eclipse, piggy-backing it with the MiniBorg50 on my ED103SWT so that I could track the progress of the eclipse from the warmth of the house, and head out only to snap some pics thru the main scope - it either did not, or only had minimal impact on wifi when I was around the scope. I'll be sure to take note of it the next time around.

The LCD is a really low end one from a couple of years back, iirc paid no more than $36 on clearance locally. iirc something like 242 line resolution and narrow dynamic range. I have been considering a couple of new LCD's (there are a couple of 5" and 7" 480 lines units, and 5" unit with integrated 2.4/5.8GHz video receiver AND DVR). In the meantime, for better quality I use a 8" Sony CRT broadcast monitor - not that portable though.

Cameras - Samsung SDC-435 (with my initial setup), and a Mallincam Micro (which iirc is available under various other branding as well, all under $100). I also have access to a MC jr and Extreme that I use on other scopes.

The max exposures are 8sec (Sammy) and 16sec (MCµ). No problem with tracking on either on the Sky Prodigy or GT mount. The camera and mounts can be power from a good (ie, 'clean' output) A/C adapter with 12V output.

jambi99, I have to revise the numbers for the 100mm f/5 achro - with a stock C-to-1.25" adapter and 0.5x Antares FR mounted, I get a measured 0.56x reduction - down to f/2.8 @278mm fl. (I measured this by comparing the actual size of a distant object on the monitor with and without FR). I have a couple of screen grabs and cellphone shots of the LCD monitor over at my gallery here, it should give you and idea of the image scale that can be achieved.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2121

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics