Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
SebJ

Reged: 03/13/11

Loc: Bedfordshire, England, UK
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5904251 - 06/05/13 04:14 PM

Spotted NGC5053 a couple of years back. Immensely difficult to define in my 16". As already mentioned, visually it's not what you'd call a classic glob. I actually found it easier to pull out a sparse pocket of individual stars than much of a background glow. Much more difficult to see than I thought it would be.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fuzzyguy
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
      #5905212 - 06/06/13 03:24 AM

I bagged this one tonight in my C8 from a darker green zone. It took over an hour to confirm it and I pulled out the hood, eye patch and a lot of time just sitting with my eyes closed, taking deep breaths. After about an hour, I could definitely see a very slight brightening in the background between a couple of 10th-11th mag stars using the ES6820 and averted vision. I put in the ES6816 and the cluster was very hard to see, but 3 or 4 very faint stars popped in and out. I don't know if they were field stars or associated with the cluster, but they were sort of blinking in the same spot each time.

This was definitely one of the most difficult objects I've actually succeeded in finding. No "wow" factor, but a nice feeling of accomplishment. I wish the OP patience and good luck finding this one. It's worth it! I wouldn't have had a snow ball's chance to find this one a year ago.

KidOrion
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
      #5910761 - 06/09/13 01:44 AM

Went out with five targets in mind (4147, 5053, 5466, Hickson 61 [The Box], and 5897) this evening. Get the scope set up and collimated well; as soon as stars start becoming visible, it clouds over for two hours. Pack the scope up to return home, and the southern horizon clears. Grumble, grumble. (Of course, by the time I get home, it's completely clouded over again.)

The way things are going here, NGC 5053 is going to have to wait for next year.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5910845 - 06/09/13 03:53 AM

Quote:

I used to be an amateur astronomer, until I took a Nagler to the knee.

You are my hero.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: hokkaido53]
      #5919352 - 06/13/13 07:07 PM

Quote:

This 9th-magnitude globular cluster is located about a degree from another glob, M53 in Coma Berenices. I tried twice this month to see it, using an 18" Obsession reflector, but the object remained elusive. This was strange since I was able to see galaxies at 12th, 13th and 14th magnitude. From what I've read this object is always difficult to see , and my local skies are rather hazy this time of year.

I would like to hear from some of observers who have had successful viewings of this object.

Thanks,

Roy in Maryland

First saw this in 1984 with a 4" SCT. No notes other than "seen".
Spotted again in '86 with a 6" newt, then in an 8" SCT in 1995:
lrg, no condensation, v.faint stars, only few *'s resolved,mostly diffuse glow,core lrg % of vis.cl.,round, lots of faint *'s
Since then I view it every time I'm near it. With the 12.5":
Large, loose, faint stars, fully resolved but with some background glow, no obvious concentration, appears to be 2 quanta of magnitudes.

The horizontal branch of this cluster is at magnitude 16.65 with the brightest stars around 13.8, so it should be easy for a 6" to see a few stars and for a 12" or larger to resolve the fainter ones in dark skies.
M14 is fainter, with a horizontal branch of magnitude 17.1 and brightest stars of 14.0 yet I hear of that being found with a 60mm scope.

If you can't see it in an 18", then chances are either that your sky is too bright, or you're looking for something smaller. NGC5053 is 10' across, about 1/3 the width of the full moon, and similar to M13 in size.

hokkaido53
sage

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? [Re: Starman1]
      #6435498 - 03/29/14 02:21 AM

OK! I finally saw this globular tonight, from Taos, NM. The sky was a little hazy, but I viewed it around 10:30pm with my 18" Obsession , at a magnification of 170x. It first appeared as a fuzzy mass, but then the brighter stars began to stand out, with the help of averted vision.

Roy

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #6443605 - 04/02/14 01:51 PM

Roy in Maryland (or should that be Roy in Taos?),

I've managed to see 5053 through my 10" f/4.8 Dob in a yellow/green zone site on the Eastern Shore. At least its nearness to M53 makes it easier to locate.

NGC 5053 is in the H400 II list. It's also in Don Pensack's Best 500 or so List, and in Mullaney's Herschel Showpieces. I don't recall it being especially difficult compared to some of the faint galaxies in the H400 II or Herschel 3.

Mike in Maryland

I see that you finally bagged 5053 in Taos, NM. Skies much darker there than at home?

hokkaido53
sage

Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6444961 - 04/03/14 09:15 AM

Quote:

I've managed to see 5053 through my 10" f/4.8 Dob in a yellow/green zone site on the Eastern Shore. At least its nearness to M53 makes it easier to locate.

NGC 5053 is in the H400 II list. It's also in Don Pensack's Best 500 or so List, and in Mullaney's Herschel Showpieces. I don't recall it being especially difficult compared to some of the faint galaxies in the H400 II or Herschel 3.

Mike in Maryland

I see that you finally bagged 5053 in Taos, NM. Skies much darker there than at home?

Hi, Mike,

Yes, we moved to Taos, NM, last summer, where the skies are so clear, they're gray at night, not black. They're gray because I am seeing the collective light of stars and objects which individually are below 6th magnitude. (This really surprised me, but it does make sense.)

I spotted 5053 when it was about 10 or 15 degrees above the horizon. I was able to finish the Herschel list also. (I used Steve O'Meara's book, not the AL's.) I've found some of Alvin Huey's books helpful as well.

Roy in Taos

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6444975 - 04/03/14 09:27 AM

Congratulations - on completing the H400 AND moving to a much darker area! Maybe I should look into NM for my retirement?

One of the best tools I've found for helping in locating and verifying objects in the H400, H400 II and Herschel 3 lists is SkySafari Pro on a tablet. I don't have goto or DSCs. I just use SSP, Telrad and a 70mm finder.

Mike

hokkaido53
sage

#6445017 - 04/03/14 09:54 AM

Quote:

Congratulations - on completing the H400 AND moving to a much darker area! Maybe I should look into NM for my retirement?

One of the best tools I've found for helping in locating and verifying objects in the H400, H400 II and Herschel 3 lists is SkySafari Pro on a tablet. I don't have goto or DSCs. I just use SSP, Telrad and a 70mm finder.

Mike

Yeah, it's great out here, very astro-friendly.

I just turned 70, so I've decided to take it easy from now on. Consequently, I've invested in the ArgoNavis and ServoCAT. If your eyes (and back) are still young and fresh, you might not need these aids.

Clear skies,

Roy

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #6445068 - 04/03/14 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike in Maryland

Hi, Mike,

Yes, we moved to Taos, NM, last summer, where the skies are so clear, they're gray at night, not black. They're gray because I am seeing the collective light of stars and objects which individually are below 6th magnitude. (This really surprised me, but it does make sense.)

I spotted 5053 when it was about 10 or 15 degrees above the horizon. I was able to finish the Herschel list also. (I used Steve O'Meara's book, not the AL's.) I've found some of Alvin Huey's books helpful as well.

Roy in Taos

The O'Meara book to the H400 to me is essential for completing the list.

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #6446389 - 04/04/14 12:38 AM

well, my notes say this thing was a real flop, w/10" SCT it was very faint, doesn't look like a globular cluster, appears more as a transparent nebula..

Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: scopethis]
      #6446487 - 04/04/14 02:24 AM

Just attempted this elusive object for the first time in my XT8 on April 2:

NGC 5053, globular cluster in Coma Berenices: difficult averted vision object; merely a weak glow about 7 arcminutes in size; hints of possibly resolved faint stars are seen; minimal central concentration; viewed at 48x and 96x; near M53, but outside the FOV at 48x

-Nick Anderson

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #6446622 - 04/04/14 06:51 AM

Quote:

Since moving to SkySafari Pro on a tablet, I don't see any DSO book as essential. I read them at home for inspiration and general information, but I never take them to the field. I don't use printed atlases anymore either. They just are not necessary. They gather dust now.

Mike

ensign
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
      #6447107 - 04/04/14 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since moving to SkySafari Pro on a tablet, I don't see any DSO book as essential. I read them at home for inspiration and general information, but I never take them to the field. I don't use printed atlases anymore either. They just are not necessary. They gather dust now.

Mike

I, too, have Sky Safari and rely on it as a star atlas. I find, though, that atlases and observing guides are two different, albeit related, things.

The atlas helps when it comes to finding things in the night sky. The observing guide provides some ideas about what is worth looking at/for and details you might want to check out.

While Sky Safari does provide some good info about many objects, I still find myself perusing observing guides when planning an evening's stargazing.

hokkaido53
sage

Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: ensign]
      #6447157 - 04/04/14 12:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

I, too, have Sky Safari and rely on it as a star atlas. I find, though, that atlases and observing guides are two different, albeit related, things.

The atlas helps when it comes to finding things in the night sky. The observing guide provides some ideas about what is worth looking at/for and details you might want to check out.

While Sky Safari does provide some good info about many objects, I still find myself perusing observing guides when planning an evening's stargazing.

I like to compare my observations with what O'Meara and other authors see. You can learn a lot from other peoples' viewpoints. Another valuable set of books is the two-volume "Night Sky Observers' Guide", edited by Sanner and Kepple. Both volumes are filled with drawings, photos and observations from several dozen amateurs across the country. I've even contacted a few of them over the years and compared notes. For me, this creates a kind of "community" of observers.

- Roy in Taos

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
      #6447160 - 04/04/14 12:49 PM

I saw it last year from a green---blue zone.Very faint and "loose". It is invisible from my orange zone in my 15"

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #6447339 - 04/04/14 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

While Sky Safari is good, it lacks greatly in its handling of the descriptive material for many deep-sky objects. Even with my Pro edition, I find I have to either break out Megastar or just open Uranometria, especially for diffuse nebulae and some planetaries which Sky Safari does not plot. In fact, on some of the more obscure and interesting objects, THE ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES is a vital work for reference, along with my Uranometria Field Guide. Sky Safari is good, but for the real deep-sky enthusiast, it just isn't quite ready for prime-time. I still have to have a couple of my detailed reference books in the field with me to cover all the bases. Clear skies to you.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Have you seen globular cluster NGC5053? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6447386 - 04/04/14 02:36 PM

Quote:

While Sky Safari is good, it lacks greatly in its handling of the descriptive material for many deep-sky objects. Even with my Pro edition, I find I have to either break out Megastar or just open Uranometria, especially for diffuse nebulae and some planetaries which Sky Safari does not plot. In fact, on some of the more obscure and interesting objects, THE ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES is a vital work for reference, along with my Uranometria Field Guide. Sky Safari is good, but for the real deep-sky enthusiast, it just isn't quite ready for prime-time. I still have to have a couple of my detailed reference books in the field with me to cover all the bases. Clear skies to you.

OK, then I must not be a real deep-sky enthusiast. Maybe when I upgrade from my 10" Dob to a 14" or 15" I'll see the advantage to the old-school tools.

So far though, SSP seems very productive for going through the H400, Herschel II and Herschel 3 lists. I would have hated to do that relying on only field guides and hard-copy star atlases. IME, they are very cumbersome and clunky compared to decent software like SSP on a 10" tablet. I'd rather see SSP steadily improve and include more descriptive material than have to go back to hard-copy aids.

Mike

hokkaido53
sage

#6447524 - 04/04/14 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, then I must not be a real deep-sky enthusiast. Maybe when I upgrade from my 10" Dob to a 14" or 15" I'll see the advantage to the old-school tools.

So far though, SSP seems very productive for going through the H400, Herschel II and Herschel 3 lists. I would have hated to do that relying on only field guides and hard-copy star atlases. IME, they are very cumbersome and clunky compared to decent software like SSP on a 10" tablet. I'd rather see SSP steadily improve and include more descriptive material than have to go back to hard-copy aids.

Mike

Mike, you do have a point about the clumsiness of those books. However, I don't take them into the field with me. I read them before and after observing. For field observing, I just write down a list of what I want to see, and then consult it with a red flashlight, while observing. I "talk" my notes into a hand-held recorder, then write them down when I get home.

Roy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3352

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics