Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hestemat

Reged: 03/28/14

which mount should i get?
      #6437582 - 03/30/14 11:30 AM

Hey ive ordered an AT65EDQ scope, looking for an EQ mount with guide ability, have my eyes on Advanced VX

but anyone got some cheaper that is just as good or good enough to be considered instead?

note: im shooting with a 550D dslr

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: Hestemat]
      #6437726 - 03/30/14 12:47 PM

The AVX mount has no DEC axis bearing. Good for visual, not for AP.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: terry59]
      #6437742 - 03/30/14 12:57 PM

Quote:

I, and thousands of others, have been doing AP with the AVX's predecessor CG-5 that also has no DEC bearing for many years. There are many members here on CN that are doing AP with the AVX with great results. The lack of a DEC bearing does not rule the mount out as far as AP is concerned.

Stan

lurkinggrue

Reged: 07/14/13

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6437910 - 03/30/14 02:58 PM

Not arguing about the AVX and AP, just curious. Does the CGEM have a dec bearing? (asking because I am in a great conflict about which to get CGEM vs AVX for AP)

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: lurkinggrue]
      #6438013 - 03/30/14 04:14 PM

Yes, 3 actually.

Stan

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6438037 - 03/30/14 04:25 PM

Quote:

Hey ive ordered an AT65EDQ scope, looking for an EQ mount with guide ability, have my eyes on Advanced VX

but anyone got some cheaper that is just as good or good enough to be considered instead?

Have you considered the iOptron zEQ25? It's not cheaper but isn't as heavy as the AVX and is probably better for unguided work. It has a guide port like the AVX. I don't think you find anything new for less than the AVX that will work for AP.

Mike

terry59
Post Laureate

#6438345 - 03/30/14 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I, and thousands of others, have been doing AP with the AVX's predecessor CG-5 that also has no DEC bearing for many years. There are many members here on CN that are doing AP with the AVX with great results. The lack of a DEC bearing does not rule the mount out as far as AP is concerned.

Stan

Stan I said it wasn't good for it, not that it or any mount without a DEC bearing wasn't usable....people do it all the time. I just won't recommend them for AP. I can't see complicating the learning process intentionally

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6438406 - 03/30/14 08:26 PM

Ironically all of the Vixen GP mounts don't have bearings either. But people have been doing AP with them for decades.

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: lurkinggrue]
      #6438563 - 03/30/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

Not arguing about the AVX and AP, just curious. Does the CGEM have a dec bearing? (asking because I am in a great conflict about which to get CGEM vs AVX for AP)

Even though I'd normally pick a CGEM over the AVX, The CGEM might be a bit heavy for such a little scope making it hard to balance.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: oo_void]
      #6438580 - 03/30/14 10:26 PM

In between the CGEM and the AVX sits the proven Orion Sirius / SkyWatcher HEQ5.

Just a thought.

Guylain

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: oo_void]
      #6438603 - 03/30/14 10:42 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Even though I'd normally pick a CGEM over the AVX, The CGEM might be a bit heavy for such a little scope making it hard to balance.

I have to use a 7½ lb CW to balance my SV70 on my CGEM and I use 2" diag and some heavy EP. (Ethos)

Hestemat

#6438729 - 03/31/14 12:46 AM

Thanks, seems like i cant care about the bearing as then the price goes way up. Ive seen alot of pics with pinpoint stars shot with an avx, cant do much better than that. May be a little harder but thats ok.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#6438779 - 03/31/14 01:48 AM

If it was easy, every one could do it!

Stan

Hestemat

#6438825 - 03/31/14 03:40 AM

Exactly, hard makes it fun. Can make decent unguided shots with my nexstar 4se in modified eq stand

Hestemat

#6438876 - 03/31/14 05:10 AM

Also wouldnt a heavier scope be more problem for the lack of a bearing?

With this light scope with a 50mm guidescope wouldnt pressure the dec that much, seen AP being done on this mount with 10" newts without mich of a problem

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6439171 - 03/31/14 10:25 AM

Quote:

The AVX mount has no DEC axis bearing

I believe this is incorrect. It may not have a "Ball Bearing" but it does have a sleeve bearing.

Sleve bearings are in fact quite suitable to the task of holding a telescope in a low speed operation.

In fact, a plain bearing has far higher load capacity than a roller bearing because the area.

In these scopes, the worm wheel is meachined into a large aluminum cylinder, and the outside of this cylinder rides on the sleve bearing in the casting.

Nothing wrong with this setup. Plain bearings are used in many important applications and have proven themselves as being very capable.

Just my opinion, but to say a mount is less than acceptable because it does not use a roller bearing in place of a plain bearing seems to me a bit unwarrented. I am confident that used within loading parameters (and that is why people publish load parmaters) the bearing will last a liftetime.

And the motors have far more torque than required to overcome the greater friction of a plain bearing.

But my main intention of resonding to your post was to say that the mount does indeed have a bearing. Just not a roller bearing.

terry59
Post Laureate

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6439199 - 03/31/14 10:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The AVX mount has no DEC axis bearing

I believe this is incorrect. It may not have a "Ball Bearing" but it does have a sleeve bearing.

Sleve bearings are in fact quite suitable to the task of holding a telescope in a low speed operation.

In fact, a plain bearing has far higher load capacity than a roller bearing because the area.

In these scopes, the worm wheel is meachined into a large aluminum cylinder, and the outside of this cylinder rides on the sleve bearing in the casting.

Nothing wrong with this setup. Plain bearings are used in many important applications and have proven themselves as being very capable.

Just my opinion, but to say a mount is less than acceptable because it does not use a roller bearing in place of a plain bearing seems to me a bit unwarrented. I am confident that used within loading parameters (and that is why people publish load parmaters) the bearing will last a liftetime.

And the motors have far more torque than required to overcome the greater friction of a plain bearing.

But my main intention of resonding to your post was to say that the mount does indeed have a bearing. Just not a roller bearing.

I stand corrected and should choose my words more carefully. However, I stand by my assessment that this type of mount is not a good choice for AP.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
      #6439222 - 03/31/14 10:49 AM

Quote:

Is it safe to say you may not need to make any DEC corrections with the AVX because it is a small mount you are more likely to use for wide field AP? But if you try overload the mount it may become an issue?

Gale

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6439227 - 03/31/14 10:52 AM

Quote:

Are you going to have to travel to dark sites to image? If so portability and ease of setup/polar alignment may be one of the deciding factors when picking a mount.
I have to travel and I used to image with a mount that weighs 55lbs for the head only. Its payload was way beyond any of my scopes. I am much happier now with a lighter mount that still offers the same accuracy but it's much easier to setup and carry around.

keithlt

Reged: 12/21/13

Loc: Arizona
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: gdd]
      #6439234 - 03/31/14 10:54 AM

I'm sure Celestron expected them to be used for AP as they come with an auto-Guider port. Eddgie makes a valid point about the sleeve bearings, I would not be surprised if the little DC drive motors in most every mount is of sleeve bearing design.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1091

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics