Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hestemat

Reged: 03/28/14

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: andysea]
      #6439237 - 03/31/14 10:57 AM

Thanks! Now it sounds even better. I dont plan on traveling with it, but if it comes up, do you mean this is too heavy?

Im not set on this scope for the rest of my life, i like to have a mount that can take heavier loads down the road.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hestemat

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: Hestemat]
      #6439248 - 03/31/14 11:04 AM

And also, sounds really wrong to say this mount isnt good for AP, i understand it isnt the BEST for AP, but i will never have the best.

Its for wide field AP yes, havent understand what to picture in the opposite :P

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: gdd]
      #6439275 - 03/31/14 11:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The AVX mount has no DEC axis bearing. Good for visual, not for AP.

Is it safe to say you may not need to make any DEC corrections with the AVX because it is a small mount you are more likely to use for wide field AP? But if you try overload the mount it may become an issue?

Gale

If you overload just about any mount you will have issues with AP.

Speaking as someone who actually owns both mounts and has imaged with both of them. I would tend to agree with Eddie, the ASGT and AVX Dec "bearing issue" is somewhat overblown. Given a decent polar alignment even at full F/10 of my 9.25" scope I can, and have, produced some very nice results (a quick Google search will net several others who have too)

Granted I'm discarding about 1 sub in 10... And Granted there are several better AP mounts out there... most of them are at least double the cost and some are an order of magnitude more expensive.

If anyone wants to get started in this hobby and would rather not drop several thousand on a mount, and wants something that is almost "grab and go" light... the AVX is a fine choice.

Of course the CGEM has its issues too... With its 8/3 design error. Of course I have never run into this problem and have good results with this mount too. But it is a heavy beast and for me it is too heavy to take with me to my favorite dark sky location.

Back to the AVX, keep the load under 30 pounds and you should have no problems producing some really impressive results. My 9.25 with camera and guider is pretty much the upper limit.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: keithlt]
      #6439282 - 03/31/14 11:24 AM

Quote:

I stand corrected and should choose my words more carefully. However, I stand by my assessment that this type of mount is not a good choice for AP.

Terry,

Do you own a CG-5 or AVX mount and if so have you done AP with it?

Stan

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: keithlt]
      #6439357 - 03/31/14 12:09 PM

The AstroPhysics 600E mount which Zeiss saw as fit enough to rebadge as Zeiss PaMont II, has sleeve bearings in both axes.

I have had a lot of trouble guiding mine in declination due to stiction. So yes roller bearings can be better than sleeve bearings. But by no means are sleeve bearing mounts unsuitable. Like I said the Vixen GP and GPDX use sleeve bearings. And no one would call a GPDX unsuitable for AP.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6439551 - 03/31/14 02:02 PM

My AVX guides great and it's a fantastic little mount for wide-field photography. If you shoot at a long focal length and overload it, obviously it will be more problematic.

I also have a ZEQ25 for a more portable option and so far haven't found it any easier or worse to guide but can say the AVX is a bit more stable/solid overall, especially when used for visual. The 2" tripod option might change that but it's around $200 added to the base price.

Hestemat

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6439568 - 03/31/14 02:15 PM

I see. What can you picture with these huge focal length?

I like nebulae and galaxies more than planets. Are there many nebulaes small enough to be worth an expensive scope?

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6439601 - 03/31/14 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I stand corrected and should choose my words more carefully. However, I stand by my assessment that this type of mount is not a good choice for AP.

Terry,

Do you own a CG-5 or AVX mount and if so have you done AP with it?

Stan

No, I started with a CG-4 and modded the hand controller for AP then got a Sirius.

NewAstronomer
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: terry59]
      #6439953 - 03/31/14 06:30 PM

I started with a SVP that I had to modify (add guide port to HC and disassembled re-greased) then had Atlas later on.

Atlas way better, true, but by no means is AP impossible on a "cheaper" mount. Maybe more difficult yes, not impossible. But a better mount made it way more enjoyable. You would get better results long term too I imagine.

Anyway I gave it up, no time. Wanted to give OP some color commentary. The AVX looks a hell of a lot better than the used SVP I modded a decade or so ago.

Edited by NewAstronomer (03/31/14 06:31 PM)

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: NewAstronomer]
      #6439992 - 03/31/14 07:04 PM

Well, I have both the AT65EDQ and the AVX and use that combination at an image scale of 2.4 arc seconds per pixel (camera is a Sony NEX-5N, 16MP mirrorless APS-C).

My comment on the above combination is that you are more likely to have problems with the AT65EDQ than you are with the AVX. In fact, I can NOT recommend the AT65EDQ for "serious," quality astrophotography.

So, as far as the AVX, in my hands and with my particular sample it can do wide-field astrophotography. You may have some issues with guiding on the declination axis but that would be true with any low-end or mid-range mount. Is the AVX perfect? No, but it's decent given its price and weight.

Hestemat

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: james7ca]
      #6440822 - 04/01/14 03:43 AM

Thanks, the price is perfect for me, maybe a little bit too much! I know right! Im poor. The scope in what ive read sounds amazing for the prizerange, and i cant wait to get it! Cant go higher in price so i cant get any better scope either

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: Hestemat]
      #6440832 - 04/01/14 04:09 AM

James why do you say the AT65edq is not suitable for AP? First time I've heard this...

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: which mount should i get? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6441187 - 04/01/14 10:29 AM

Quote:

James why do you say the AT65edq is not suitable for AP? First time I've heard this...

Just Google or search here on CN and you'll find reasons (although I never actually said that it was "not suitable for AP"). Furthermore, I'm not going to suggest that everything you read on the internet is true in the majority or 100% accurate or necessarily the last word on any product. YMMV (as I like to say), but given my experience with two separate samples of the AT65EDQ I can not personally recommend this scope for quality AP.

But, I don't want to highjack this thread into a discussion on the AT65EDQ, so this will be my last word on that subject right here.

Waduino
sage

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: which mount should i get? [Re: andysea]
      #6442363 - 04/01/14 08:53 PM

Did I miss it? And that mount is?
Wad.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1083

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics