Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/24/13

Loc: columbia, sc
Side by side dual mount question new
      #6443157 - 04/02/14 09:40 AM

I posted one in the DIY section, which did not generate much responses, so I am trying my luck here, with some rephrasing of the questions...

My questions are:

1. Do you think it is a good combination to put a C90 Mak and a bino (or bino-scope) on the same tripod for visual (both for astronomy and terrestrial)?

2. If so, what will be the good way to mount them? Obviously, I do not need a go-to/drive thing, but slow motion knob tracking will be sufficient for my C90. The bino part will be for low mag wide field view, so no need for tracking. The highest mags for the C90 Mak will be around 150X, primarily for solar system/double stars viewing as a grab and go set up.

3. For slow manual tracking of C90, is it better to build an altitude bearing(axis) there, or build it right at the top plate of the tripod?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hesiod
sage

Reged: 01/13/13

Re: Side by side dual mount question new [Re: schang]
      #6443448 - 04/02/14 12:31 PM

1)why not? I use often a SCT and a short refractor on the same mount
2)maybe on a dual AZ mount (like the "T" design) or you can use a dual saddle like those APers employ (which however requires an equatorial mount)
3)sorry, I can not understand the question

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Side by side dual mount question new [Re: Hesiod]
      #6443523 - 04/02/14 01:11 PM

Thanks for your responses.

About dual saddle, can you be a little more specific?

The number 3 question was about using only one slow motion manual tracking knob for C90 on polar axis. I was thinking that you can do this with ONE knob if the tripod is set due north polar star on its center plate mechanism. If not, then the C90 Mak mount side would require two slow motion control knobs to track. Am I correct?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6443575 - 04/02/14 01:32 PM

Hi Shien:

Sure, no reason why not. I think a 90mm Mak and binos would make a good pair.

As for slo-mo, I'd suggest that you may not need it. I have a Desertsky Astro DSV-1 with a C5 and a 90mm refractor on it. It does not have slo-mo controls, but I find it's pretty easy to track with if I keep it below 200x. In fact, for most uses, I prefer using the pan handle instead of slo-mo. It's a lot quicker and easier to track with and to slew with. The only time I'd prefer slo-mo is when I start getting close to 200x.

The one thing that's critical if you don't have slo-mo is balance. You want to have clutches set loosely so you can move easily, but you don't want it to sag one way or the other if it's too loose and out of balance.

-Dan

Hesiod
sage

Reged: 01/13/13

Re: Side by side dual mount question new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6443597 - 04/02/14 01:46 PM

Now I got it (hope...)...taking about an eq? It is not easier to do an altazimuthal "T" design?
Dual saddles are devices which can locked to the mount (or mount's clamp, because usually their main bodies are made according to Vixen or Losmandy standard) and have 2 clamps to bear 2 telescopes (or any other item which employ the right dovetail, be it VIxen or Losmandy)
ex: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_dmd6.htm

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
      #6443636 - 04/02/14 02:10 PM

Quote:

About dual saddle, can you be a little more specific?

Good here and better here

Guylain

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Side by side dual mount question new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6443659 - 04/02/14 02:28 PM

Hi, Dan:

The only reason I'd think using a slo-mo tracking knob is for higher mag viewing with C90 Mak, where my existing el-cheapo tripod coming with the kit is not quite easy to use for astronomy (though it is fine for spotting/terrestrial). The main issue is it is difficult to have good clamping pressure to move the scope without jerking the view and waiting the scope to settle down. I think balance the scopes on the dual mount tripod can be done (or lock the AZ (panning) axis for stable slo-mo tracking). I am still trying to think it over for a good way to do it. Thanks.

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Side by side dual mount question [Re: guyroch]
      #6443689 - 04/02/14 02:44 PM

Thanks for the part link, Hesiod and Guylain.

I know it is not easy, but I have time to think it over before I start. I think the AZ T mount will be much easy to do just for slewing with vertical mounted dovetail adapter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics