Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Is it posible to turn a tripod into a GoTo? [Re: Adrian Ruiz]
      #6481429 - 04/22/14 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is a mounting bolt on the bottom of the SLT, OR you can use the hub with your own tripod legs.

Oh ok so the hub isnt required. Its just that my tripods legs can't be seperated easily so I prefer not to break them off. So... If I get this and this, would I need anything else to make my tripod goto?

Your light photo tripod's specs show it's rated for only 6 lbs. It only weighs less than 2 lbs. itself! That's awfully light even for a pair of binoculars, much less a telescope on a goto mount. You'll have to remove the pan/tilt head and then attach some kind of adapter (or "hub" so to speak) to the tripod to mount the Nexstar mount onto it. The tripod likely only has a 1/4"-20 stud on it for mounting purposes. I wouldn't recommend it.

If you can find a similar used alt/az goto mount that also includes the proper tripod legs, it will be much better for you. Save your photo tripod for use with a small camera that it's designed for.

Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Is it posible to turn a tripod into a GoTo? new [Re: DocFinance]
      #6481530 - 04/22/14 03:57 PM

Really, just look at getting a complete mount- it will come with a sufficient tripod and you'll be in business.

-Rich

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Is it posible to turn a tripod into a GoTo? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6481856 - 04/22/14 06:58 PM

The tripod from a stock SLT is too flimsy for anything but a C90. That is my advice. I had a 127 mak on mine and unless you kept the legs short and sat on the ground the vibration time was about 7 seconds!! Virtually impossible to even focus it!
I found a Meade tripod from a 90mm refractor, that settled about 3 seconds with the legs about 1/2 way out. MUCH better!
That was a very good Grab and Go setup! Splendid Planetary
Lunar and Double Star scope. It was also excellent for
Globulars and brightest DSO's.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Is it posible to turn a tripod into a GoTo? new [Re: orion61]
      #6485366 - 04/24/14 11:22 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

You need a power supply with a M coaxial power plug (5.5/2.2 mm). It can be mains power (AC 120) or a battery pack. Don't pay $10 for the pack, that's realy too high. I'm falling over them. I'll send you one for the postage.

I would go the $15 for the tripod hub if you don't have another suitable tripod. You can make some simple legs like this Vixen Polaris type from oak stair tread. Add a chain or tray spreader and it will be very stable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics