Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
joec1991

Reged: 04/21/14

Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: SteveG]
      #6481351 - 04/22/14 02:25 PM

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a good response, thank you! I'm going to go with the AD8 with the tweaker package. Do you guys recommend any other accessories? A barlow perhaps?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lpn678

Reged: 02/02/14

Loc: Western NY
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: joec1991]
      #6481386 - 04/22/14 02:42 PM

Here's a good recent thread on stuff newbies should have:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6466130/page...

Speaking for myself, the next thing I will purchase will be a barlow or a higher mag eyepiece (looking at the ES82 6.7mm!). I've already got a red flashlight ($4 walmart minilight with some of the wife's nail polish over the window), a star chart (printed this free one out http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas-release1.html), and I've found that a metal folding chair works well enough for me at the moment. With Mars up right now, and Saturn just coming up by about 10pm right now I really want to be able to go above the 133x you get with the supplied 9mm EP.

If you have the budget, consider getting the built in setting circle with the scope. It will make finding things easier. Not having one really makes you learn the night sky and how to find stuff on your own though (with is one of the reasons I didn't get it!).

Abhat
sage

Reged: 12/14/13

Loc: Middletown, MD
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob [Re: lpn678]
      #6481450 - 04/22/14 03:09 PM

I suggest get a Telrad or any Red Dot finder. That works very well with 9X50 RACI.

Another important must have is two Velcro straps with handles. You can buy those for $8 in Home Depot. That makes carrying the OTA very easy without fear of dropping it or banging it. I always carry my dob in 2 pieces. The base has a nice strong handle. I can't describe in enough number of words the how easy it is to carry the OTA with those straps with handles.

Jerry-rigged
sage

Reged: 01/30/12

Loc: Coastal Texas.
      #6481634 - 04/22/14 04:51 PM

Quote:

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a good response, thank you! I'm going to go with the AD8 with the tweaker package. Do you guys recommend any other accessories? A barlow perhaps?

Congrats on the decision!

"Other stuff" you may want-
1- collimation tools, like a combo sight-tube/cheshire. Yes, the scope comes with a laser, but it is not always great quality. I have the one from AstroAgena, $29 AstroAgena Cheshire combo tool
2 - Telrad or other red dot finder. I love my Telrad.
3 - 12mm eyepiece, for 100x viewing. I guess this is site-dependent, but seems most nights, for me on the Texas coast, 100x is all I can do, even 120x seem like it is too much. The included 9mm will hit 133. Then maybe a 2x barlow.

5 - Books - I have "Nightwatch", really like it. Also, a Sky Atlas.

Last - Have fun!

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: darren38]
      #6481667 - 04/22/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

I just went and watched the video that the ad8 has on the website, and I have to say, it has some nice looking features. Also, I think the guy showing the dobs may have his jeans waaaaaaay to tight. It hurts to watch the video.

Oh, by the way, David with Opticsmart is a member of CN....

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

#6481677 - 04/22/14 05:15 PM

Quote:

This is an excellent barlow.

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-2x-apochromatic-ed-barlow-2-inch-eyepi...

I also highly recommend getting a Telrad.

Edited by Billytk (04/22/14 05:16 PM)

Mark Costello
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #6481690 - 04/22/14 05:23 PM

Quote:

Hi, joec1991. I'm thinking about going for an AD10 with a tweaker's dream package as a complement to my ES AR127. One accessory that I'm thinking about is an astro-chair like the one sold by Optics Mart (I like one-stop shopping). I have a stool that works fine with my refractor but think I'm going to need an astro chair for the Dob with its eyepiece higher up.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #6481816 - 04/22/14 06:37 PM

Telrad, Pocket Sky Atlas, good DIM red LED flashlight, portable table.

Read, research eyepieces and barlows. Then buy them USED from highly-rated sellers here and on Astromart ($15/year subscription). You'll be able to try them out and re-sell the ones you don't like for even money.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: ManicSponge]
      #6481826 - 04/22/14 06:41 PM

Quote:

There are so many jokes possible from this point, I just have to take a pass

And I very much appreciate that!

Quote:

I am happy with the Z-12, but if I get another GSO dob, it will be from Opticsmart. Pants, or no pants.
Regards, Kyle

Thanks Kyle! And don't worry, I won't be making any "no pants" videos anytime soon. Needless to say, the next time we get around to making a video, I'll be sure to stay away from the "fashion" stuff that my wife likes, and just wear some very plain pants that don't call attention to themselves.

Quote:

Joe, unfortunately as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, we just ran out of AD8s yesterday (there was an unexpected surge in AD8 orders over the past three months that left our Dob inventory very "top-heavy").

Quote:

Hi, joec1991. I'm thinking about going for an AD10 with a tweaker's dream package as a complement to my ES AR127. One accessory that I'm thinking about is an astro-chair like the one sold by Optics Mart (I like one-stop shopping). I have a stool that works fine with my refractor but think I'm going to need an astro chair for the Dob with its eyepiece higher up.

You won't regret getting the Starbound chair Mark!

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca (Riverside) , ...
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #6481884 - 04/22/14 07:16 PM

Since their out of 8s thats a sign to go with the 10!!!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #6481887 - 04/22/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

You won't regret getting the Starbound chair Mark!

I love 'em, I actually have two of them.. I bought the first one more than 10 years ago.. A friend had one and I tried it. I drove up to OPT the next day...

One bit of advice he gave me: Buy the white one, you can see it more easily at night.

Jon

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6481965 - 04/22/14 08:09 PM

Buy the 10"!!!!

Abhat
sage

Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6481975 - 04/22/14 08:15 PM

Before you keep adding +2 to the aperture please think about how much you can lift and carry. I have 8" and I think it is just on the borderline of portability. Sometimes I wish I had 6". I would have used it more. It is lighter and requires less cooling time. I would suggest take a look at Orion's XT6. It is a very well respected scope.

A telescope that gets used shows lot more than the one that never gets out due to its massive bulk.

Edited by Abhat (04/22/14 08:24 PM)

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Abhat]
      #6482005 - 04/22/14 08:26 PM

Agreed on the "buy the one you'll use" advice. An 8" and 10" use about the same amount of space in a car, the difference being mainly the weight. I upgraded to a 12" and use it MORE than my old 10" which I still own and use only for outreach. The 12" has made stargazing more gratifying.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Abhat]
      #6482028 - 04/22/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

Before you keep adding +2 to the aperture please think about how much you can lift and carry. I have 8" and I think it is just on the borderline of portability. Sometimes I wish I had 6". I would have used it more. It is lighter and requires less cooling time. I would suggest take a look at Orion's XT6. It is a very well respected scope.

A telescope that gets used shows lot more than the one that never gets out due to its massive bulk.

It's wise to consider the increased size and bulk when making the purchase. It is also wise to consider the faster focal ratio... And we all have different attitudes and capabilities so the right scope Jon or Ken may not be the right scope for Joe or Abhat...

That said.. In terms of the comparison between an 8 inch and a 10 inch, the tubes are essentially the same length, the bases are essentially the same weight and size.. the difference is in the weight and diameter of the OTA.

For me, there's not much difference between an 8 inch F/6 Dob and an 10 inch F/5 in the effort required. Several 8 inch F/6s have come and gone while a single 10 inch F/5 has been a mainstay.. I was never able to find a reason to use an 8 inch Dob when I had a 10 inch right there waiting.

Jon

Abhat
sage

#6482093 - 04/22/14 09:13 PM

Jon as always I greatly value your advice. I am just offering a different perspective.

I have couple of friends who got caught in the aperture trap and rarely used their scopes. Collimation was also daunting for a newcomer. Other than weight and faster cool down, F/6 & F/8 Dobs are little lenient on collimation and cheaper eyepieces can be used with those. All those factors should taken into consideration.

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

#6482095 - 04/22/14 09:14 PM

Maybe David could sell him the 10" for the price of the 8"...

joec1991

Reged: 04/21/14

Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Billytk]
      #6482195 - 04/22/14 10:05 PM

Thanks for the accessories tips guys! I'm definitely going to look into them when I finally get my scope.

Quote:

I agree. I think the 8" would be perfect for me, the 10" is getting a little too big for a beginner like me.

Quote:

Maybe David could sell him the 10" for the price of the 8"...

Or maybe throw in some free stuff if I wait for the 8"...

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
      #6482736 - 04/23/14 08:16 AM

Sorry guys, but the margins on these scopes are already too low at the regular prices. We simply can't afford to discount the AD10 or throw in free items with the AD8.

No harm in asking though!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Orion or Apertura 8" Dob new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #6482755 - 04/23/14 08:33 AM

Thats what I did, AD10 with tweaker pkg. and the star chair!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics