Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
Sasa
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/03/10

Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic
Mars, April 22 through Telementor
      #6481665 - 04/22/14 05:09 PM

Finally I got a decent view of Mars through Telementor. This was the first one through this lens as I did not have it last opposition. Weather was not ideal, there was a lot of humidity in the air and changing clouds. I did not want to take anything bigger into this unstable conditions. The whole session lasted just 20 minutes:

North polar cap was nicely visible, as well as large bright region (Eridania?) at the south end. It was edged by dark line with two tips. The larger one, on the eastern edge, was rising Syrtis Major. I did not recognize it at the eyepiece. Maybe because it was obscured by bright clouds. Another, much smaller tip was probably Sinus Gomer, as I identified it later at home. The last well visible feature was dark rim around northern polar cap. There were more albedo features but they were hard to notice and even harder to put on paper. I tried to make my best with them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Sasa]
      #6481853 - 04/22/14 06:55 PM

Damn, Sasa, you're good! That's a terrific sketch, you've caught some really subtle stuff.
Is that the South Polar Hood on top?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6482201 - 04/22/14 10:07 PM

Another terrific refractor report and 80mm at that! Very well done sir!

Pete

Sasa
professor emeritus

Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6482570 - 04/23/14 03:32 AM

Thanks Pete, actually, it is a 63mm lens.

Sasa
professor emeritus

Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6482573 - 04/23/14 03:35 AM

Quote:

Damn, Sasa, you're good! That's a terrific sketch, you've caught some really subtle stuff.
Is that the South Polar Hood on top?

Thanks Rick,

no idea if it is South Polar Hood. It was quite large whitish area, more like a belt going across the whole south end of the disc. I thought that south polar region is hidden for now.

Sasa
professor emeritus

#6482687 - 04/23/14 07:31 AM

I also forgot to mention one funny thing. Transparency was changing rapidly, and overall it was not great. I could observe at 165x only occasionally. Sometimes the disc was barely visible even at 120x. However, the clouds at the western and eastern limbs were still very bright and stood out very well. I have never tried filters on Mars and Jupiter but now I see that even a "grey" filter (clouds) could increase greatly visibility of some features.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
      #6482707 - 04/23/14 07:49 AM

Nice details for 165X! 120X? I see Mars is pretty small for my 174X but I can see details. How can you see some very small details in small diameter as 15" at 165X?

Sasa
professor emeritus

Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Illinois]
      #6482711 - 04/23/14 07:58 AM

I think it is just a practice. You can see my first drawings of Mars on my web pages... Not much detail even in much larger aperture (250/1600mm Newton). I think that all that changed when I started to sketch the planets. I'm always trying to record something just at the edge of visibility. We have nowadays in astroimaging a quick possibility to check if these features were real. This is very quick back-loop and the learning curve is very steep. With time you will be more confident about what is real and what not. And you start also seeing details within details. I'm sure, I can still learn more and push myself even further.

BTW, same applies for DSO. When you are patient and you start to draw what you see, you will see soon much more.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Illinois]
      #6482717 - 04/23/14 08:03 AM

Quote:

Nice details for 165X! 120X? I see Mars is pretty small for my 174X but I can see details. How can you see some very small details in small diameter as 15" at 165X?

I agree 120x is a little wanting but details emerge still - at least with my 70mm but when the seeing allows it 162x is actually excellent. Fr that matter 135x is also good though a little starved of image scale even at 15 arc seconds.

The details come through though - comes in waves kinda.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (04/23/14 08:11 AM)

Sasa
professor emeritus

#6483967 - 04/23/14 06:11 PM

I was observing Mars again. This night with 82mm refractor:

With respect to the previous night, I noticed few more details. First, the north polar cap had nice grey edge with subtle gradient starting with light grey near the cap and getting darker at its outer perimeter.

South region was also showing more details. It was not all whitish bright as in 63mm refractor. There was definitely a dark patch interrupting it. Also it was not that white but it was a mixture of light orange and white patches. But I could not make their exact shapes.

Ruimteman

Reged: 04/03/12

Loc: Tokyo
      #6489452 - 04/26/14 09:48 AM

Very nice sketches. Thanks for sharing!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Mars, April 22 through Telementor new [Re: Ruimteman]
      #6489471 - 04/26/14 10:03 AM

Very nice account Alex. The frosts in Hellas and elsewhere it sounds like was creating those brightenings in the south. Its interesting how cryptic the contrasts of light and dark can present curious questions about their origin. Nice work my friend.

Pete

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
      #6490454 - 04/26/14 06:16 PM

Sasa,

A pair of excellent observations of Mars and reports. You are now detecting more detail over the red planet as your eye gets accustomed to the faint albedo features. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Regards,
Carlos

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 340

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics