Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
ScottP

Reged: 04/21/11

Loc: Mississippi, USA
Planetary Cam's for consideration new
      #6481475 - 04/22/14 03:26 PM

OK, I'm getting about ready to venture into the realm of AP. I am waiting on my T3i to arrive but I also would like to have a planetary cam both for the enjoyment and also to initially learn from. So, without mentioning which ones I'm looking at I'd like to hear from someone with experience using one as to which you would recommend. I would MOST espicially like to hear from people who have used more than one make/model and which you consider better... Any input would be highly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
APshooter

Reged: 10/14/13

Loc: Camby, In.
Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: ScottP]
      #6481661 - 04/22/14 05:07 PM

I'm using an Imaging Source DMK 41AU02AS on my AstroPhysics 130mm Starfire with good results. I also own an older Astrovid and after that the Neptune vid camera. The imaging source camera can do deep sky shots as well as video capture, so it fills a dual role with my imaging.

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration [Re: APshooter]
      #6481706 - 04/22/14 05:30 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

The ASI120mm/mc seem to be THE camera these days. I am very impressed by the pictures I see coming from them. I use the Neximage5 camera and it's pretty good for the price.

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: Billytk]
      #6481785 - 04/22/14 06:24 PM

I use the ASI120MM, after going through point and shoot, ToUCam, DMK21AU04, and Flea3 over the years. The ASI is extremely high speed, which is essential. Plus it makes a good guide camera. I'm guessing that you plan to do deep sky with your DSLR, so that might be important for you.

Kevin

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: astrovienna]
      #6482723 - 04/23/14 08:09 AM

I am happy with my ASI120MC (MC is the one shot color version). Before that I used the live video capture in BYEOS with my T3i, which works fine.
The Firecapture software that I use with the ASI120MC has many great features which make it easier to frame and capture.

ScottP

Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: rkayakr]
      #6483773 - 04/23/14 04:31 PM

Yes, I have read about the Imaging Source, the NexImage 5 and the ASI120. They all seem to get good reviews and the ASI seems to get the best review. I was wondering if a random sample would get the same reply and I got back basically what I've read the last month or so.

Astrovienna: Yes, I will be doing DSO's with the T3i or even planetary for some really up detail work if the seeing down here in the deep south decides to co-operate (that is AFTER I spend the next 5 years trying to LEARN AP. ;-) )

Well, I'm assuming you can use it that way... either way, I had heard that using a planetary cam was one of the more enjoyable ways to learn AP because it doesn't require the precision of long exposure and that with everything else a "newbie" has to learn it is just an easier way to start. All that may be completely wrong so, I'm reading and starting the process of investigating... Also, it would be able to double as a guide cam.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #6483956 - 04/23/14 06:05 PM

Having done a bit of both, I'd say equal levels of precision are required in DSO and planetary imaging. It's just that the things that have to be precise are different.

ScottP

Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: bunyon]
      #6485351 - 04/24/14 11:14 AM

oh... that's great! And here I thought it would be an easier way to learn. Well, like I said, I'm really a "newbie" and I have a lot to learn about this. Thanks for the input everyone.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #6486284 - 04/24/14 06:47 PM

I just ordered an ASI120 OSC. I hope it's as good as what I've read! It's my first venture into planetary imaging.

David

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Planetary Cam's for consideration new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6486615 - 04/24/14 09:25 PM

David,

Just got mine (ASI120MC) yesterday. I had other things to do, but found time to load the drivers and use the included wide angle lens for 1/2 hour after dark. Not that I'm some great imager, but found the camera not only easy to "grasp" how to use, but impressive. I never used firecapture before, so have some reading and experimenting to do. Even at that, I had the camera up and running within minutes.

Edited by Tom and Beth (04/24/14 09:25 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 359

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics