Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Celestron C14 orange tube
      #6481721 - 04/22/14 05:40 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Hi everyone. I now own the C14 that was for sale in the Cloudy Nights classified. Andy and I did some telescope trading until we were both happy.
I thought I would start by fixing the slew problem.
I am finding no technical information anywhere so I'm hoping someone here can help.
The problem appears to be slippage between the worm gear and the fork. I have good movement from the slew motor through the gears and to the worm and worm gear. But the fork is not moving. Is there an adjustment, a clutch I need to tighten?
I can see 3 set screws I can access through this port:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: actionhac]
      #6481726 - 04/22/14 05:45 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

RA motor is driving and moving the fork. The slew motor does drive the fork if the telescope and fork tines are removed. I don't see anything in here to adjust or tighten.
I wish I could find a C14 service manual but I doubt there is such a thing.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6481737 - 04/22/14 05:53 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Interesting gear arrangement and all seems fine here. RA motor and slew motor both drive the same worm shaft only when the slew motor is running it drives the worm shaft about triple speed. Nothing is slipping in these gears, it must be a clutch or something inside the worm gear under the fork?

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
      #6481834 - 04/22/14 06:47 PM

I have C-14 as well. When the RA lock is on can you turn the forks ? There are couple of possible reasons why the forks isn't turning, the clutch plate is loose or the gear on the end of the worm, driven by the motors is slipping or the gear on the RA motor is slipping or the gears inside the RA motor are stripped.
The slewing motor is DC. When the scope is tracking, power is applied to the DC to lock it so it can't turn. So now the RA motor will turn the worm gear. The RA motor is turning so slowly that is acting like it is locked so when you slew the scope using the DC motor, the motion now goes to the worm. So if any of the gears are loose on their shafts or the gears stripped in the RA tracking motor, power won't be transmitted to the worm gear to move the scope.
So be sure that no gears are slipping when there is some resistance applied to the mount and when you slew the scope that the RA gear on the RA motor doesn't turn as well. If all is tight then it is clutch plate that is slipping and you have to take top off to get to it.

- Dave

gnabgib
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #6481835 - 04/22/14 06:47 PM

It's NOT a slew motor but a slow motion motor to drive object around eyepiece field. Works thru the differential gears (bevel gears). Set up scope and while looking thru it activate the "slew" motor. Object will move slowly around eyepiece field. The levers on each side of the drive base act as a kind of RA lock so they need to be tightened for RA gear to drive fork arms. The DC motor is self locking because it is a high reduction gearhead motor. So it does not use power to lock it. There is no real clutch in these older C14 bases. The locking levers press down in the center of a steel bar that then presses down on two pins on the bar ends. These pins press down against the RA gear hub to create enough friction to drive the scope. If you remove the locking levers (two small set screws) you can then tighten the screws underneath (usually just until you feel resistance) then reinstall the levers with the handle to the right (when facing the lever). This will position them with enough clamping action when tightened to drive the scope.

Hope this helps
Kevin

gnabgib
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #6481843 - 04/22/14 06:50 PM

By the way
The three set screws lock the bearing retainer cap in place so it will not unscrew as the RA axis is rotated.

Kevin

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: gnabgib]
      #6481848 - 04/22/14 06:52 PM

On my Classic Orange tube C-14 it has slewing motors on both the RA and DEC axis. Both the slewing motors are DC and with two speed setting and also are reversible. So I can SLEW the scope pretty quickly in the FAST position.

- Dave

gnabgib
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #6481863 - 04/22/14 07:03 PM

Just wanted to add that I love these older C14's. They were well made and will literally last a lifetime with a little care so congrats on your acquisition!

Kevin

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: gnabgib]
      #6481914 - 04/22/14 07:39 PM

I can move the fork with the 2 RA locks tightened fully, meaning the levers are up against the fork casting.
These 2 locking levers must be locked for the RA drive to work like a C8, and do they also need to be locked for the slow motion motor to drive the fork?
I'm beginning to think all I need to do is remove the lock lever knobs and reposition the knobs to exert more force when tightened fully?
As they are now I can easily turn the levers clockwise right up against the casting which prevents me from tightening any further.
Thanks for the help you guys.

Robert

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #6481950 - 04/22/14 07:57 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I thoroughly hope you enjoy your wonderful Classic Orange C14 as I do mine. Bob

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #6481956 - 04/22/14 08:01 PM

OH, so YOU got that eh Robert?

I was second in line. I would have loved to have put that with my orange C5 and 8, and I have a couple of words for ya: good job! I hope you get it all fixed up primo. I do have the Ultima 11 black tube here, but I haven't needed to get into the guts - yet. All the drives on mine work. The Millionaire's 8 and the Ultima 11 have DEC drives, but those are only motors on a tangent arm. I can't help with yours, but hope to see it progress to proper workings. Good luck.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: apfever]
      #6482112 - 04/22/14 09:21 PM

Its not pretty Neil, it was advertised as a restoration project and it definitely is. I'm grateful Andy was willing to trade telescopes otherwise I could not have done it.
Fortunately the mirrors are OK and the mechanics seem fine, the needed work is almost all cosmetic.
I'm very happy I did get it. I traded 2 telescopes I was not using for something new and exciting, and Andy is equally happy with his trade.
I have some pictures.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6482127 - 04/22/14 09:26 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

The serial number is 1 436 8, made the first quarter of 1978 number 436. The RA drive motor date is 7-76.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6482134 - 04/22/14 09:29 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Mirrors look very good.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6482145 - 04/22/14 09:34 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

The mounting is made up of huge pieces but beautifully designed and made to be able to transported and assembled by one person. This telescope is an amazing engineering achievement.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6482149 - 04/22/14 09:36 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

The mounting is where most of the work is needed. Paint and new chrome.

TCW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/05/13

Loc: The North 40
      #6482167 - 04/22/14 09:45 PM

Congratulations! Paint is mostly labor but the chrome could cost a bit. You are reviving my interest in a C14!

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6482181 - 04/22/14 09:54 PM

You need to take the RA Lock off (the flipper Paddle) on top front.
There is usually a small teflon or clear tip that wears.
with the flipper paddle off turn the screw down by hand till it contacts then 1/8th turn more, Plac the RA lock back on approx 1/2 way in it's travel possibly a bit less. This is what holds the fork assembly tight with the double drive gear that has the RA setting circle sandwiched between them. If the motor is turning the gear and the fork is not moving this is your problem I am positive of it!
There is also an Allen screw on the back side top that can be screwed down to keep the clutch plate from tilting up as the RA lock applies pressure on most drive bases but a few..

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #6482184 - 04/22/14 09:59 PM

OOOHH, AAhhhhhh,

The older style locked triangle tripod is great. Much beefier than the newer ones. My old style for my orange C8 and C5 weigh 3 pounds more than the newer locked triangle versions.

Take that wedge off and look under the base. I think you'll see large block castings where the mount holes are. These areas are large enough and strong enough to where you can machine bananana slots into them so the wedge has AZM adjustment like the newer ones. I very much like the way Celestron cast there name into the base on these early versions.
It's fairly easy to wedge the leg tubes, relieve the tension on the end fittings, and take the legs apart, without distorting the pipes. I never found anything other than tension holding them together. I admit to putting a dab of LockTite on mine when I re assembled them. Mine were all for the C8 size.

Rough or not, this looks like a nice project.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C14 orange tube new [Re: apfever]
      #6486129 - 04/24/14 05:33 PM

I tightened the screws under the RA lock knobs (C14 has 2 knobs) a small amount and put the knobs back on and I think this will fix it, thanks everyone I'm glad it was not anything serious.
From what little information I can find about the C14 you really don't need to take apart the base, it should last the life of the telescope. Its all pressed together and a bit difficult to take apart.

Now my next problem is I cannot get the assembled telescope out of my shop. I cannot reduce the footprint radius of the locked tripod enough to get it through the door. I tried mounting the wedge to my Edmund Extra-Heavy-Duty pier and I can't get it through the door ether.
I need a short tripod. JamesE in Canada, James! has one with a scopebuggy for his C14 and loves his setup because he can sit while observing, I like sitting too. I hope he reads this so he can let me know more about his. Does anyone know of a shorter tripod?
Bob you mounted yours to a workmate for a while, was that satisfactory?
I may try mounting the wedge to my hydraulic table which has casters and I can roll the whole scope outside. The table is less than 2ft wide though , I wouldn't want the rig to topple over.

Robert

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1427

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics