Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Any missing accessories for 18" dob?
      #6481724 - 04/22/14 05:42 PM

I have an 18" Obsession and I think I've run out of things to buy!

I have:
ES82 30mm, 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm
2x barlow

Laser Collimator (good quality) with holigraphic crosshairs (for secondary alignment)
Barlow for laser and target

Telrad
10x50 RACI

Fan for mirror, plus battery pack.

Red light
Pocket Sky Atlas
Sky Safari (for android)

Is there anything I'm missing that would be handy? I really enjoy the scope now and have my workflow for setup and teardown pretty quick, especially since I'm at home and just wheel it in and out of the garage.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6481767 - 04/22/14 06:11 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Get a good set of nebula filters. I recommend getting both the DGM Optics NPB narrow-band filter as well as the Lumicon OIII filter. Together, they just about cover all the bases as far as enhancing emission and planetary nebulae. Also, if you are really going after faint stuff, I would recommend Sky Safari PRO rather than just Sky Safari. Otherwise, an 18 inch would be better off with a more detailed book atlas like the 3-volume Uranometria 2000.0 (2nd edition). Clear skies to you.

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: KILM
      #6481774 - 04/22/14 06:17 PM

What types of objects are you tending to view the most?

Observing chair? Dew heaters? Mosquito repellent? Table for your gear? Thermos for hot or cold beverages? Equatorial platform?

klim

Reged: 08/24/08

Loc: Matamoras, PA
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: bluesteel]
      #6482051 - 04/22/14 08:48 PM

Binoviewer?

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: klim]
      #6482263 - 04/22/14 10:44 PM

Astrosystems truss bag and scope cover
https://www.astrosystems.biz/Obspage.htm

DsoS4Life
sage

Reged: 12/03/13

Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: klim]
      #6482283 - 04/22/14 11:00 PM

Quote:

Binoviewer?

+1

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: DsoS4Life]
      #6482354 - 04/22/14 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Binoviewer?

+1

Yep! Can't live without 'em.

Also, a suitable vehicle that can accommodate a comfortable sleeping arrangement to haul it all to a very dark site for overnight observing sessions.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: Fred1]
      #6482958 - 04/23/14 10:13 AM

Get a Paracorr.

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6483058 - 04/23/14 10:57 AM

Thanks for the posts guys... going to answer all at once.

I forgot to mention I have the DGM NPB filter (2") and a set of color filters (1.25") plus a variable polarizing moon filter. I need to remember and use the NPB more. I'll have to think about a Lumicon OIII.

So far I'm not going for the faint stuff and there's still plenty of brighter stuff I haven't seen. Darn, just looked and I missed the half off intro price for Sky Safari 4! Was going to get the pro at $20!

As for viewing objects, I look at mainly galaxies, nebula, globs and planets.

With the 18" Obsession I'm standing most of the time and sometime on a ladder.
In AZ, no dew or mosquitos. I do have big slab bench outside that acts as my table.

Oh yes, binoviewer. I may have to look into that again. Was going to get one for my C11, then got sidetracked!

I'll still have to think about the Paracorr. At this point I don't notice the coma in my ES82 30mm, but maybe I would once it is gone. I know my scope is short on in-focus. Does the paracorr make that better or worse? Basically once I put the 1.25" eyepieces in an adapter, I barely have room to get focus.

Same question goes with the binoviewer? Do I need more in-focus? I think I do right? If so I'd have to shorten my truss poles and I don't know if I'm ready for that.

Putting these ideas on my list! Thanks!

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #6483199 - 04/23/14 11:58 AM

Up until last fall, I was using a Denk super system bino in my 18" Obsession, and had no focusing issues at all. If I had to shorten the poles to get it to focus, I'd have forgone using a binoviewer altogether.

Also, I consider a Paracorr to be essential gear for my telescope.

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #6485340 - 04/24/14 11:07 AM

Ironically, while trying to make a new target for my barlowed laser attachment, the switch on my laser collimator (a 17 year old astrotech that came with the 18 Obsession) has almost given up. I have to switch it 5 or 6 times to finally get it to "take" and stay on. Also I noticed that the laser beam has a large "chunk" out of it so the laser looked like a partially eclipsed moon!

So I ordered the glatter 2" laser and barlow attachment.

Will still think about a coma corrector.

maakhand
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/15/09

Loc: florida, usa
      #6485446 - 04/24/14 11:56 AM

surprised that its not mentioned yet.
2" catseye autocollimator.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6486484 - 04/24/14 08:30 PM

Quote:

Up until last fall, I was using a Denk super system bino in my 18" Obsession, and had no focusing issues at all. If I had to shorten the poles to get it to focus, I'd have forgone using a binoviewer altogether.

Several have posted that they had in-focus problems with a binoviewer. You had none with your Obsession? I have owned two Obsessions and had to trim about a half inch off the trusses to get focus.

Why would you be against trimming them, if necessary?

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: GeneT]
      #6486549 - 04/24/14 08:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Several have posted that they had in-focus problems with a binoviewer. You had none with your Obsession? I have owned two Obsessions and had to trim about a half inch off the trusses to get focus.

Why would you be against trimming them, if necessary?

Hi Gene. The Denk super system is designed to work with any telescope, regardless of what type it is. It probably has a lot to do with some of the accessories that come with it. You add or remove some spacers and specialty lenses, depending on what type of scope you use it with. It's the only bino I used in my telescope, so I can't comment as to whether other binos would have issues or not.

Oh, I reckon I wouldn't mind cutting the truss tubes on an Obsession too much, since they are nothing but electrical conduit that can be purchased cheaply at Lowes or Home Depot. In that regard, they are easily replaceable. But I sure wouldn't want to do it on a telescope that has a more specialized truss design. If I found that I just wasn't all that into binoviewing, which ended up being the case with me, I'd end up with a telescope that might have issues focusing with regular eyepieces because of the modification. Viewing with the binos was fun for awhile, but the novelty soon wore off for me. I sold my Denks last fall.

bgi

Reged: 12/01/05

Loc: Ga
      #6518754 - 05/11/14 05:28 AM

For sure ditto on the paracorr and 2" autocollimator, maybe a cheshire and sight tube.

You may want to consider one or two simpler high-power eye pieces for planets or planetary nebulae on the nights of good seeing. Head over to the eyepiece forum and you'll find plenty of healthy debate!

I didn't see mention of a drive system. If it doesn't have one, maybe install a goto-track system of your choosing. Being able to relax and keep an object centered contributes greatly to your ability to see detail - esp at high powers.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: bgi]
      #6519435 - 05/11/14 02:23 PM

A sidekick? I would make myself available.

But seriously, a filter slide and 2" O-III, NPB, and H-beta filters.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6519472 - 05/11/14 02:46 PM

Get an Argo Navis this year and a Servocat next year. I installed it all myself and wonder how I ever got along star hopping. Five to ten objects a night turned into as many as I want, more time observing and less hunting down the object. This year's upgrade was a SkyFi and star safari 4 Pro for my IPad. I did get it on sale at 1/2 off. I have much more relaxed observing sessions since the Servocat provided tracking and I carry much less media with me since the SS/IPad upgrade. After seven years this telescope if finally finished.

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: JimMo]
      #6519528 - 05/11/14 03:21 PM

I tire for a secondary cage! It would more closely resemble the scope the ingenious little boy gave you for father's day last year! Wait, it was father's day right?

WattleHill

Reged: 05/07/14

Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: JimMo]
      #6520173 - 05/11/14 10:27 PM

Quote:

Get an Argo Navis this year and a Servocat next year. I installed it all myself and wonder how I ever got along star hopping. Five to ten objects a night turned into as many as I want, more time observing and less hunting down the object. This year's upgrade was a SkyFi and star safari 4 Pro for my IPad. I did get it on sale at 1/2 off. I have much more relaxed observing sessions since the Servocat provided tracking and I carry much less media with me since the SS/IPad upgrade. After seven years this telescope if finally finished.

+1 for an Argo Navis. I have an 18-inch f4.5 Obsession and using it with an Argo Navis is a dream come true. I've been a star hopper all my astro life and resisted any form of technology to compliment my equipment (no particular reason, I just was happy without it). Then I fitted the Argo Navis. From flicking the power switch, it take no more than 90 seconds to do a simple alignment and I am ready to observe. What's more I can locate any object in it's database instantly and 99% accuracy. The 1% is from objects that appear just on the esge of field. Well worth the coin!

alexvh
sage

Reged: 07/29/07

Loc: South Africa
Re: Any missing accessories for 18" dob? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6520440 - 05/12/14 04:20 AM

David, what filters should be used on galaxies? Are filters worth it when viewing from dark skies?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1307

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics