Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ÂșN 2.5Âș...
Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: tomcody]
      #6486215 - 04/24/14 06:07 PM

Quote:

These are fairly rare, if the condition and price are good and you want one? buy it, life is short.
Rex

My life will be very short if my wife found out how much it is!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: osbourne one-nil]
      #6486368 - 04/24/14 07:20 PM

Quote:

Ah well.

well the thing is, the atmosphere doesn't equalize the differences in wavefront ratings of an optical train.

the atmosphere will effect an lesser ~rating system more than a higher ~rating system.

so a CZ primary with a matching secondary will be able to cut thru the sky better than a lesser system.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #6486369 - 04/24/14 07:20 PM

Ask yourself:
How many of these have you seen come up for sale?

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

#6486453 - 04/24/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm definitely more of a faint fuzzies kind of guy but I got the C6 mostly for a bit more aperture combined with that long focal length, to make the most of planets. I've just been finding that my TV85 shows me more detail, although that could just be because of poor skies or cool-down issues. The hassle bit is nothing to do with not having the energy to go out with a 10" scope but purely about assembling and de-assembling something when the skies are clear so briefly. I see the portaball as a grab and go dob?

If you were to assemble the portaball and keep it assembled for grab n go, then death by wife notwithstanding (and this is a very serious consideration) - and assuming you can afford it - you have to go for it.

You'll get better dark sky performance out of it than either of your existing scopes. And probably excellent planetary views as well, as I'm assuming this is at least an f7 scope with a small central obstruction. Performance would probably be akin to something like a 6" refractor.

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: stratocaster]
      #6486459 - 04/24/14 08:17 PM

I'd get it if I didn't have what I've got.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6486464 - 04/24/14 08:18 PM

As a visual only telescope, the Portaball is all around excellent telescope. Its optics are the best, and it is easy to set up, and fun to use. You twist the finder to find the object and in the same movement place the eyepiece exactly where you want it. I have owned a 20 and 18 inch Obsession, a C8 and numerous other telescopes. I sold them all. The 12.5 inch Portaball is my life keeper.

rdrane

Reged: 09/18/07

#6486776 - 04/24/14 10:50 PM

If you have the patience for old fashioned star hopping using a Rigel finder, I would get it. I have the 12.5 and would buy the 8 if I only had the funds. What may cloud your case is you have a 10. But if you are looking to travel, there's no question about getting the 8 over the refractor. For me, even the larger 12.5 is still much more travel friendly than packing a high quality APO with complete mount set-up.

osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6487031 - 04/25/14 02:30 AM

Quote:

well the thing is, the atmosphere doesn't equalize the differences in wavefront ratings of an optical train.

the atmosphere will effect an lesser ~rating system more than a higher ~rating system.

so a CZ primary with a matching secondary will be able to cut thru the sky better than a lesser system.

For some reason, even though that seems completely logical, I've never thought of it like that before. Good point.

As for how often do these come up.....first time I've ever seen one for sale I think and old-fashioned star hopping; love it. I have an ZEQ25 and really only use it for its tracking ability rather than its ability to find stuff. I

Anyway, did the deal last night, and will get hold of it in a couple of weeks when the vendor passes close by on the way to Scotland. Can't wait!

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #6487123 - 04/25/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

Well, for me anyway, I don't really do happy....just a bit less grumpy.

Have you discussed this with Dr. Phil.!
Sam

osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: planet earth]
      #6487169 - 04/25/14 05:39 AM

The only doctor who could help me would be Doctor Who by taking me back in time and starting again...and hopefully involving Kylie Minogue somehow...that would cheer me up.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #6487211 - 04/25/14 07:18 AM

Quote:

The only doctor who could help me would be Doctor Who by taking me back in time and starting again...and hopefully involving Kylie Minogue somehow...that would cheer me up.

Sam

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: planet earth]
      #6488576 - 04/25/14 07:02 PM

Congrats Piers! I've never seen one of those come up for sale in the UK. I was eyeing that up myself in case you didn't go for it.

Reged: 08/18/04

#6488838 - 04/25/14 09:48 PM

...Anyway, did the deal last night, and will get hold of it in a couple of weeks when the vendor passes close by on the way to Scotland. Can't wait!...

congrats! you won't regret it. for what it's worth, Roland
Christen does think highly of the portaballs. I'm glad I never sold mine (12.5). It's the kind of scope where you can arrive late in the night and still be ready to observe in 30 min. David Juckem also provides excellent support for old models.

osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: 121601]
      #6489156 - 04/26/14 03:24 AM

Thanks both - I imagine it's going to join my TV85 in being a telescope I never want to be without.

Any tips on getting in touch with David Juckem? I've emailed a couple of times in the past year and heard nothing back. The model I've bought has three Teflon pads on the base ring rather than a ring of Teflon all around it like the new ones, so I'm wondering about 'upgrading' to one of those. I've also seen it said that having two base rings is a good idea for when you want to move the telescope about to save scratching the base by laying it on anything other than Teflon!

Reged: 08/18/04

#6489576 - 04/26/14 10:48 AM

Quote:

Any tips on getting in touch with David Juckem? I've emailed a couple of times in the past year and heard nothing back.

Have you tried posting at the PortaBall Yahoo users group?

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6489941 - 04/26/14 02:00 PM

We want to hear about 1st light....

osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball [Re: 121601]
      #6490217 - 04/26/14 04:13 PM

Well, you'll have to wait until at least May 10th, then add a bit on for the first clear night, then a few months for the skies to get truly dark again....and I'll post my thoughts!

Quote:

Have you tried posting at the PortaBall Yahoo users group?

Ah - good idea. I didn't know there was such a thing but I'll go and have a look!

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
      #6490957 - 04/26/14 10:56 PM

Piers

The only thing to really reconcile with a portable is that such things as digital setting circles, GoTo, DobDriver, ServoCat, etc. will not be in you future. On the other hand, if these are not issues - and they need not be!! - a PortaBall is wonderfull scope. Paired with a good equatorial platform it achieves a level of mechanical and functional elegance that is in many ways unsurpassed. As for Zambuto optics (which I now use, and have previously used Royce and Swayze, as well Mead and Orion ) with excellent seeing, thermal equilibrium and proper collimation they will shine. But there is absolutely no magic here - premium optics can't "decode" the scrambled optical information that poor seeing presents to them. As such, the bloated, obliterated diffraction pattern (for a given aperture) introduced by poor enough seeing renders the difference between outstanding and average Strehl ratios as essentially irrelevant. Polish however is another thing. Even with less than good enough seeing, a Zambuto optic should render better contrast on detail that is resolvable than a mass produced mirror will. The bottom line is that a PortaBall is a very fine instrument indeed. Wedded to the right owner, a beautiful relationship will surely emerge. Look forward to hearing how you like it!

Joe

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Convince me on an 8" portaball new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6490973 - 04/26/14 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the CZ mirror will kick the but of the Orion Optics in the sumerain...literally mop the floor with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it was decreed by whom? Orion Optics makes excellent mirrors. Please refrain from debasing a manufacturer like that.

saying CZ is much better than OO is debasing them? lighten up. I've seen some pretty hideous examples from OO. I haven't seen any from CZ.

Kick the butt and mop the floor probably fits the bill for debasing.....

Or focusing.

Pete

Rinaldo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Lawng-eye-lind - New York, USA
      #6491093 - 04/27/14 12:47 AM

Quote:

I've always lusted after a Portaball, and now one is available…

...would give me 8" of, hopefully, APO-like aperture, in a lightweight and relatively transportable unit; at least enough to drive into the Lake District, park up and carry it 100yds into a field.

Go for it.

As far as reaching David, phone is best. He is not good at returning calls or emails unfortunately, so don't bother leaving a message either. However, when he picks up the phone he will spend easily a half hour or more chatting with you and answering all your questions!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1066

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics