Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6480982 - 04/22/14 11:14 AM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6481042 - 04/22/14 11:45 AM

I have $100 that says a bunch of cockroaches will survive.

Everything else? Buh bye.

TCW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/05/13

Loc: The North 40
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6481695 - 04/22/14 05:26 PM

Dan what you are missing is the radiation blast just like that of an atomic bomb arrives at the speed of light. You won't be around to see the shockwave arriving. I seriously doubt your brain could process anything in the time the temperature at your location goes from 75 degrees to 2,000,075 in a nanosecond.

To those who say the suns surface would arrive in 16 minutes that means the material would be traveling at 50% of the speed of light. I don't think that is possible.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: gdd]
      #6481780 - 04/22/14 06:21 PM

For a supernova, that is one that is not the result of a gamma ray burst, you would have to be at least 30 light years away to be out the danger zone. The most massive nova outbursts would be no immediate threat beyond the star system in which they take place, but in either case you would not want to be in deep space outside of a planet's magnetosphere. Charged particles will be coming at nearly the speed of light, and they can be lethal to both electronics and living cells. A planet's magnetic field can block them from ever reaching the planet's atmosphere and surface.

Taras

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: TCW]
      #6490583 - 04/26/14 07:42 PM

Quote:

Dan what you are missing is the radiation blast just like that of an atomic bomb arrives at the speed of light. You won't be around to see the shockwave arriving. I seriously doubt your brain could process anything in the time the temperature at your location goes from 75 degrees to 2,000,075 in a nanosecond.

To those who say the suns surface would arrive in 16 minutes that means the material would be traveling at 50% of the speed of light. I don't think that is possible.

No one said the sun's surface would arrive in 16 minutes or that it would travel at half the speed of light. If you read the thread you'll see that it's a fictitious example provided for ease of calculation. Its just for illustrative purposes.

-Dan

DTH

Reged: 08/11/13

Loc: Georgia
      #6490635 - 04/26/14 08:10 PM

I'd be to busy with my head between my legs while escaping earth aboard the Millennium Falcon to take a look at the explosion. But as far as filters--use a variable polarizing filter--it won't really matter--you'll be blind.

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? [Re: DTH]
      #6490925 - 04/26/14 10:27 PM

Clearly, the sun would have already engulfed the planet earth BEFORE it exploded. So we would not be here to see it.

The sun will expand to beyond the orbit of Mars and then implode to become a white dwarf. The Earth will be vaporized. So we will never see the sun explode. In Billions of years that is.

Edited by maugi88 (04/26/14 10:33 PM)

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: What would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: maugi88]
      #6491144 - 04/27/14 01:43 AM

Oh my gosh....Who the *bleep* cares? The light gets bright and you are in the presence of God. Good luck then.:)

Edited by sslcm56 (04/27/14 01:45 AM)

TCW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/05/13

Loc: The North 40
      #6491157 - 04/27/14 02:06 AM

17.5Dob
sage

Reged: 03/21/13

Loc: Colorado,USA
Just to play along new [Re: chrisg]
      #6491162 - 04/27/14 02:10 AM

If there is any hope for Homo Sapiens, and it's further evolved decedents, if they even survive, barring asteroid strikes, mutant virus, over population, nuclear/chemical/biological wars etc. to witness the Sun explode, they will have to invent the the technology to move out of our entire solar system.

Long before the sun goes nova, it will have bloated up/ swallowed up/vaporized the the entire planet formerly known as "Earth" .

People are arguing about "Human Caused Global Warming" and being able to mitigate the effects already. Is it really "Human Caused" or just the next evolutionary phase of our planet as a whole ?

In any event, the Earth will have roasted to vapor, long before the Sun explodes.

How many light years beyond our current world can we move to witness the sun explode, and report about it, remains to be seen.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: chrisg]
      #6491168 - 04/27/14 02:17 AM

It would likely appear to be just a teensy bit brighter... But only for a split second before you, I, and the rest of the world were instantly incinerated!

Edited by mayidunk (04/28/14 12:29 AM)

SpooPoker
sage

Reged: 06/04/13

Loc: North Bay CA
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6491212 - 04/27/14 02:53 AM

I am no astrophysicist but seem to recall that there is a limit, perhaps 8 times the mass of the sun as being the minimum mass for a star to go supernova, i.e. explode. Below this limit, the star essentially gets larger, more tenuous, cooler (in the red spectrum, i.e. red giant), and eventually shedding its tenuous outer layers going straight to white dwarf stage without going kablooey. Stars like our sun become red giants and then white dwarfs as part of their evolution - they run out of fuel so to speak and the forces of gravity that keep the star intact no longer can counterbalance the coulomb forces pushing outward from the core.

The sun is a small star, very small in fact. In a statistical analysis, it would be well above average given the huge population of red and brown dwarfs, but in reality, out sun is a little tiddler. No explosion or cosmic fireworks. However, Betelgeuse, approx 50ly away, is a supernova waiting to happen. It is too far away for thermal radiation to incinerate life on Earth but apparently it could radiate enough UV/X/Gamma Rays to interfere with the Ozone layer. In the visible spectrum it would be bright enough to outshine the Moon - it would certainly be a spectacular sight.

mseto

Reged: 08/27/13

Loc: Cincinnati
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: SpooPoker]
      #6494219 - 04/28/14 04:20 PM

Larry Niven wrote a short story on this topic called Inconstant Moon. Great story, won a Hugo. Starts off with a guy noticing the moon starting to get really bright...

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: Achernar]
      #6494262 - 04/28/14 04:46 PM

Quote:

An average nova outbursts would flash vaporize and melt the Earth's crust, blow away the atmosphere and boil off the oceans. It goes without saying everything alive on the planet would die of vaporization, the planet would be heat sterilized. All of the other planets, asteroids would be similiary affected because a typical nova outburst shines at least 100,000 times brighter than the Sun. A supernova would not only boil off the surfaces and atmospheres of the planets, they would most likely hurtle off into space from the destruction of the Sun, or be ripped apart when the blast wave hits them at ten percent of the speed of light. You would see the photosphere flare up and then you're vapor. From that close, there would be little to see if the Sun exploded as a nova or supernova. The surge in x-rays and gamma rays would kill you eight minutes after the blast, long before the ejecta hits at least an hour and twenty minutes later.

Taras

What Taras said

Thudley
journeyman

Reged: 04/27/14

Loc: East Bay SFO, CA
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6494703 - 04/28/14 08:51 PM

I had a question related to this from a 7th grader. We were covering the speed of light, and I mentioned that we see the Sun as it was about 8 minutes ago. I casually mentioned that the Sun may have exploded a few minutes ago, but we won't see that for another few minutes. One student asked, "If the Sun exploded, would it's gravity change also take 8 minutes to affect the Earth?"

That's what we call, "stump the dummy".

ChristianG
sage

Reged: 10/18/12

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: Thudley]
      #6494863 - 04/28/14 10:19 PM

Hi. Good question. Because the answer is not simple.

Gravity waves (and any other disturbances in gravity) also should travel at the speed of light. I say should because we are still trying to observ them. Lots of stuff to read there at the LIGO site.

Other point, however, is that an explosion would be spherically symmetrical and until the stuff hits the Earth, the total mass (minus a bit from energy conversion) would be the same and the position of the center of mass of the Sun would not change. So gravity from the Sun would not change until the exploding stuff (mostly helium I suppose??) would reach the Earth orbit. Then gravity would start to decrease as more stuff would end up past the Earth orbit (what's left of it anyway).

--Christian

Thudley
journeyman

Reged: 04/27/14

Loc: East Bay SFO, CA
Re: How would the sun appear if it exploded? new [Re: ChristianG]
      #6495853 - 04/29/14 01:22 PM

That's what I finally came up with for my answer. As long as all the matter is still inside the Earth's orbit, the gravity field is still there. Just an educated guess on my part at the time.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6495910 - 04/29/14 01:43 PM

"It was as if the lifeforce of billions of people just dissappeared"....or something similar to that....Obiwan Kenobe

Valorum

Reged: 02/28/14

Loc: NW GA
      #6495915 - 04/29/14 01:46 PM

I heart this discussion

ChristianG
sage

Reged: 10/18/12

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
      #6496325 - 04/29/14 05:12 PM

Quote:

As long as all the matter is still inside the Earth's orbit, the gravity field is still there. Just an educated guess on my part at the time.

FYI, Gauss' theorem in electricity (if that rings a bell, otherwise ignore) applies to gravity as well. So your educated guess was rather accurate!

--Christian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1186

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics