Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mantrain
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/22/11

Loc: San Diego
Which scope for lunar observing
      #6512081 - 05/07/14 02:11 PM

I think I have avoided lunar observing because it's just so obvious, I have searched for more exotic DSOs.

Which scope would be better for lunar observing: my 8" SCT fully computerized, or my hand driven 16" Dob?

I am thinking the SCT is a shoe in bc it's motorized, but won't I get a lore more detail with the 16" hunk a glass?
Or will the constant movement be too bothersome.

Also, what is considered the best time of the month to view?

Any tips for a moon virgen to make it more interesting?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
craigLambert55

Reged: 04/05/14

Loc: Oregon
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: mantrain]
      #6512294 - 05/07/14 03:55 PM

Which scope would be better for lunar observing: my 8" SCT fully computerized, or my hand driven 16" Dob?

I would go with the driven scope.

Also, what is considered the best time of the month to view?

Around first quarter. It's well placed and you don't have to stay up late. Lots of shadows along the terminator as well.

star dropModerator
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: craigLambert55]
      #6512628 - 05/07/14 07:11 PM

Use either one. Try the same magnification with each telescope and pick your favorite. Constant movement doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the poor seeing conditions in my area.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: star drop]
      #6512665 - 05/07/14 07:29 PM

What Ted said. Experiment, and see if one pleases you more than the other. I observe the Moon at various times with one of three scopes: 60mm refractor, 102mm refractor, or an 8" Newtonian. The Newt gives the most detailed views, but the refractors are a lot easier to set up and take down on a weary weekday night, when I just can't say "no" to the Moon.

Rod

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Bristol, UK
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: desertstars]
      #6512869 - 05/07/14 09:21 PM

I do very nicely with my 70mm f/10 refractor - if the seeing is right near first quarter I can get lovely views with my 6.3mm Plössl eyepiece. The moon works with any telescope!

Ptarmigan
Lagopus lagopus

Reged: 09/23/04

Loc: Arctic
      #6513098 - 05/07/14 11:42 PM

Any scope will do. In your case, I would go with the motorized SCT. I use a 8 inch f/6 Newtonian to look at the Moon and it gives me spectacular views. The best time to look at the Moon is half Moon phase as you can see craters better.

desertstars

#6513111 - 05/07/14 11:48 PM

Quote:

Any tips for a moon virgen to make it more interesting?

Buy a basic map and start by learning to recognize the larger, more prominent features. This is a good one:

http://www.shopatsky.com/product/Sky-and-Telescope-Field-Map-Of-The-Moon/maps...

mantrain
scholastic sledgehammer

#6513210 - 05/08/14 01:01 AM

Thanks, rather than having to spend $ right now, are there any good internet sources with lunar maps? Or is it a 'get what you pay for' kinda thing?

acr_astro

Reged: 01/16/13

Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area
      #6513273 - 05/08/14 02:31 AM

Hi,

yes there are plenty of free online resources available. Here are just two for the beginning:

A map (JPG format) based on the LROC data with color coded topographic information can be found here: Maurice Collins Near Side Moon Map

And a good free lunar atlas is here:
Lunar Field Atlas

Achim

P.S: The S&T Field Map referenced in one of the posts above is really worth the money. I use it often at the telescope. But the printable free online resources would give you a good start as well.

OrdinaryLight
sage

Reged: 11/06/13

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: acr_astro]
      #6513726 - 05/08/14 11:09 AM

In addition to a map or atlas (I like the S&T field maps combined with an indoor reference atlas) a Lunar observing program will give you an organized list of subjects and focus your observing. I've been using the Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Program with scopes from 72mm to 10" (it has some naked eye and binocular targets as well). There's a recent thread on the program here: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php//Number/6247388/

desertstars

#6514674 - 05/08/14 08:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks, rather than having to spend $ right now, are there any good internet sources with lunar maps? Or is it a 'get what you pay for' kinda thing?

There's also the Virtual Moon Atlas, a free download, which I should have thought of right off:

http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6514790 - 05/08/14 09:47 PM

Both the 8" and the 16" will show an overload of details. The 16" however will need unusually good sky's to realize its full potential while the 8" will see its potential realized more often. Again however, both will reveal a grand amount of details. The 16" will show more ultimately but this would be in the finer details to be sure. Its there to be had - it's something a more seasoned observer would appreciate whose familiar with the finest details and appreciates the edge of double the angular resolution. For the average guy, 8" will keep you satisfied forever.

Pete

mantrain
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6514867 - 05/08/14 10:20 PM

What is it about the moon that grabs you all here?

See, I have forever been into (anyu maybe you guys also have) DSO's, galaxies and star clusters for the sheer amazement of distance away, plus, star- clusters are just so pretty.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6515113 - 05/09/14 01:02 AM

The moon has lots of features to study, its like many galaxies in one place. I dont understand people that think the moon is boring. I find new interesting things and then keep focusing on that area to get better info.
The great wall is my latest target and got it last night finally.

desertstars

Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: NeilMac]
      #6516053 - 05/09/14 02:52 PM

There are a lot of reasons I'm drawn to the Moon as an observer. Seeing actual landscapes on an alien world and the beautiful and intricate play of light and stark shadow are just two that come to mind right off. Sheer accessibility plays a role, too. How do you pass up such an easy target that can give you such amazing sights?

The Moon was my original astronomical interest, perhaps at least in part because I grew up during the space race, for which the Moon was the target. It was the first thing I studied using a telescope. I've never lost my interest in the Moon in all the years since.

A6Q6
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A
      #6516999 - 05/10/14 12:02 AM

DSO is just one slice of the pie, How about the Sun,planets, double stars and yes our Moon: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=pollution&...,, use a telescope that gives the sharpest view in good seeing.

Edited by A6Q6 (05/10/14 12:07 AM)

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: A6Q6]
      #6517094 - 05/10/14 02:11 AM

It's the kid in me: born into the golden age of NASA, the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. Always hoped I'd go to he moon. Through my scopes is the closest I'll get. I'd rather observe the moon than just about any other target.

DJastronomer

Reged: 05/20/13

Loc: Sweden
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6518012 - 05/10/14 04:32 PM

Hi!

I observe the moon with 90mm and 127mm Maks. The first one on Az3, the other on Eq-3. I do not find alt-az mount to be a problem when I observe the moon, even at fairly high powers.

I think that as long as the moon is high above the horizon, then it is a good time for observing it, regardless of phase. When the moon is a thin crescent it is fun to try to observe some major details that are lit by earthshine. During gibbous phase many cool craters can be observed ( Gassendi, Shickard, Wargentin). And during the fullmoon it is interesting to study the ray systems. And then of course we have first/ last quarter with their many showpieces.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: DJastronomer]
      #6518072 - 05/10/14 05:36 PM

The C8 with tracking should work great for lunar viewing. All of my mounts are alt-az, so I have to play the "nudge game" whenever I observe.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6518400 - 05/10/14 10:06 PM

Quote:

What is it about the moon that grabs you all here?

cause it goes round and round

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2115

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics