Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cbwerner
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Maidens, VA
Re: Which scope for lunar observing [Re: mantrain]
      #6518452 - 05/10/14 10:31 PM

Quote:

What is it about the moon that grabs you all here?

See, I have forever been into (anyu maybe you guys also have) DSO's, galaxies and star clusters for the sheer amazement of distance away, plus, star- clusters are just so pretty.

I once heard it said that there are two things to look at in the night sky: the landscapes of the Moon, and everything else.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rod

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Bristol, UK
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: mantrain]
      #6521243 - 05/12/14 03:22 PM

If the moon was good enough for Sir Patrick Moore, it's good enough for me!

star dropModerator
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6521542 - 05/12/14 05:38 PM

Quote:

The moon reminds me of my road, full of hills, bumps and craters.

Xxray

Reged: 02/23/14

Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6522273 - 05/13/14 02:51 AM

Well I admit it would be better if the moon had bands of neon rings gravitating around it, or a giant red storm raging its equator for centuries ... But I am quite content for what it is, a fascinating celestial body whos existence is closely tied in with our own.

dianen

Reged: 01/07/14

Loc: Arizona
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: Xxray]
      #6525366 - 05/14/14 05:05 PM

If you have an iPad or iPhone, there's a great app called Moon Globe by Midnight Martian. There's both a free version and a 99 cent HD version. It has a night vision mode, so I keep it right out there with me to refer to. Very accurate and useful. --Diane

320mb

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: star drop]
      #6527125 - 05/15/14 03:18 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

Craters, Mountain ranges.....

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: 320mb]
      #6529389 - 05/16/14 04:18 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

and that its soooooo close. high resolution detail to the sq mile.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: 320mb]
      #6530108 - 05/17/14 12:04 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Ya, most definitely ... and for me, bottom line, the moon is just incredibly gorgeous to look at. So I like to look at it for the same reason people like to gaze at a sunset. Sheer gorgeousness...

(big version of this May 10 moon pic )

pdxmoon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: mark8888]
      #6545813 - 05/25/14 11:25 PM

It is gorgeous. Those of us who love to observe it are fortunate indeed: beautiful, endlessly interesting, easy to find, any number of instruments will observe it to advantage, from naked eye on up.

Edited by pdxmoon (05/25/14 11:26 PM)

Gimpdiggity

Reged: 05/12/14

Loc: Jackson, Michigan, United Stat...
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6546097 - 05/26/14 05:47 AM

I'm new, but I bought my telescope primarily to look at the moon and the other planets in the solar system.

To me the fascination of the moon is that, well, we've been there. It's the only thing other than earth that humans have ever stepped foot on.

I find myself looking at it with just my naked eye and marveling at the fact that we actually sent men there to investigate. I find myself hoping that it truly is only the first step in what will eventually be more and more distant travels from our home planet.

I guess I just find the moon to be an incredibly fascinating, mysterious, and mesmerizing object that floats in the sky above us.

I also read something the other day that I had never really thought of...the moon is one of the only things that probably every single human has seen at least once in their lifetime. When you think about it, it's kind of a strange way that we are all connected to each other. I had never thought of that before, and when I read it for some reason it had a real impact on me.

Plus...the moon is cool.

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: Gimpdiggity]
      #6556542 - 06/01/14 03:09 AM

hi,
great to see your interest in luna,my first celestial object at age 9 was the moon with an 80mm cardboard tube kit refractor ,push/pull fixed eyepiece,the view sent me into visual observations of everything out there,now at 51 i seem to need to return to the moon for more serious studies,as i rekindle my childhood love for the moon i study every phase and have realized the moon can be a lifelong journey ,i now have different instruments, books maps, projects, collections of maps,movies with the moon ,you name it i got it,the moon is the only celestial body to see the surface up close and personal,very much enjoying my new found passion for luna,on georgian bay ontario canada,K.C ( for my scrutiny 4-6'' quality refractors work best for the most sharply defined detail, because of how they handle seeing conditions they are my workhorses for the moon that i mostly choose even over my 10'' and 14'' cassegrains )

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: kcb]
      #6561129 - 06/03/14 01:31 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

i like using my Meade 80mm F/15 since the aperture doesn't blow out your eyes with brightness and you can still easily get 300x out of the scope without using a barlow, and the scope is very sharp for being an F/15.

...Ralph

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6561370 - 06/03/14 03:32 PM

nice scope ralph,i have not seen the meade 80mm f/15 in years,kevin

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: kcb]
      #6561908 - 06/03/14 08:26 PM

I recently picked it up out here for just over $200. Its really is in excellent condition. I added some 90mm Orion tube rings and just added some extra felt to them to make them fit.
I also made my own finder bracket and used my Stellarvue 50mm RA finder which is usable for me since I can use my own eyepieces.
A few other simple mods were, I made my own 1.25" visual back just using a 1.25" ID alumimum pipe and slid it over the 0.965 chrome draw tube. That worked out nicely.
On the mount, I just added some slow motion controls to my Vixen GP-DX mount, and the whole package turned out very nice for very little cost.
Most of the ideas came from the classic scope section of this site.

Its a Meade Model 300, 80mm F/15.

Pretty fun!!

...Ralph

Quote:

nice scope ralph,i have not seen the meade 80mm f/15 in years,kevin

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #6566734 - 06/06/14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Any tips for a moon virgen to make it more interesting?

1. Binoview. However, make sure to take an over the counter motion sickness pill first if your stomach is sensitive to wild rides

2. Full Moon whole Moon viewing. Don't forget to do this occassionally. Yes it is bright and blows your vision out, but the contrast and etched sharpness is increadible when using an eyepiece where the entire full moon easily fits in the entire FOV. Personally, I like it when the full Moon only takes up about 1/2 to 3/4 if the FOV.

3. Limb Mountains. I always find it fun to use high magnification and view portions of the limb looking for mountains popping up over the horizon. Neat to see the mountains from their side views.

4. Crater challenges. If you enjoy splitting double stars at the limit of your scope's resolution, then you can do the same type of activity with the Moon. On average, the distance from the surface of the Earth to the surface of the Moon is 247,545 miles. Using the formula that follows, then have the smallest object you can observe on the Moon (in miles) using the Dawes Limit criterion would be Size_in_miles=247,545*(Arcsec_Resolution_of_your_Telescope/206,265). So this is the quick and dirty formula. The more detailed formula to account for the varying distance the Moon is from the Earth would be FYI: formula S=D*(R/(3600*180/Pi)) or S=D*(R/206,265) where S is the size or diameter in miles of what you can resolve, where D is the distance from Earth to Moon, and where R is your telescope’s resolution in arcseconds. With this formula, whatever unit of measure you use for D, is the unit of measure that S will be in. So if you plug in the distance to the Moon in meters, then S will be in meters also. So do the calculations for your scope, then use a Moon atlas to determine craters that meet the criteria and have fun hunting down craters at the limit of your scope’s resolution

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: BillP]
      #6573708 - 06/09/14 10:25 PM

Bill, I cannot resist the excitement of observing a tiny crater just 0.9 miles across on Plato's floor. The lighting was optimal and the crater subtended about 0.7" arc diameter, well below the Dawes limit for a 150mm aperture. It was beautiful watching it briefly resolve nicely in crater form.

So, yea, crater challenges are enjoyable and enlightening. I would put the limit to crater formation generally at about 9/D(inches) and more rarely at something near 6/D(inches) or slightly better when everything, seeing, collimation, cooling) comes together perfectly to offer those jaw dropping moments we all live for. Sometimes if feels like you can observe dust on the lunar surface.

Oh, one night I ran across a pair of peaks along the limb. A month later I could not find them. Apparently the moons irregular rotation rotated them over the horizon. When seeing is nice, sometimes you can observe foothills on the limb that look a bit like the Appalachian mountain chain or maybe the Rockies. You can observe one hill's slope descending in front of another. It's quite beautiful, so much to see.

As for the bast scope? I dunno, pick one. I've been impressed with the Mak, but it's really a function of the very good seeing conditions even with (and probably complimenting) a modest aperture.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Which scope for lunar observing new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6577684 - 06/11/14 10:56 PM

Ask yourself this...if any other planet in our solar system could be seen as easily as the moon, would you complain..I wouldn't and love viewing the moon....there's also the fact that lately, the full moon is the only times the skies are clear...and you can still view the moon despite the seeing and transparancy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2138

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics