Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: dianen]
      #6598331 - 06/23/14 09:35 PM

Quote:

Thomas, I ordered on June 12, so that's about 2 weeks.

Diane

D'oh! Sorry, you did say that in the first post, didn't you?

Those notices are, I believe, an automated system. I'd contact Amazon's customer service and ask them to check. The system might have a glitch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dianen

Reged: 01/07/14

Loc: Arizona
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: desertstars]
      #6598628 - 06/24/14 01:32 AM

LOL, Thomas. I did contact them thru a live chat. All the rep could tell me was "I can see here that the book needs an approval or the stocks that we have needs an approval" and "I can see here that the problem is in the inventory of the item and there's no exact reason provided." (Those are exact quotes.) Definitely something glitchy in their system. The rep said she'd stay on top of it, though, so we'll see what happens.

desertstars

#6599098 - 06/24/14 11:28 AM

For my books "needs approval" means I changed something and they haven't processed the change in the manuscript file. Apparently the author of this book hasn't changed the book, just the product description as it exists with the printer. Why this would lead the book to require approval is a mystery to me. In any case, going by my own experiences again, that approval process normally takes only a couple of days at most. I'd say Amazon has something screwed up, for sure. Hope they resolve it quickly!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6599104 - 06/24/14 11:31 AM

It took several months when I ordered "Mapping and Naming the Moon". If its not mainstream then im guessing it has to jump lots of hoops and not kept on hand.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore [Re: dianen]
      #6599827 - 06/24/14 05:28 PM

I received my copy last week after a 12 day wait. So the book will come. I am thinking that the publisher waits until they get a minimum number ordered then print a batch. But I have to say the book is well worth the wait!!

dianen

Reged: 01/07/14

Loc: Arizona
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6607771 - 06/29/14 04:45 PM

Well, whatever the cause of the delay, the book finally arrived (a 17-day wait) on my doorstep -- a Sunday UPS delivery! I never even knew there was such a thing. Mike, your explanation that the publisher waits for a minimum number of orders sounds plausible, but on the other hand, sort of messes up the definition of "print on demand." Anyway, it's an entrancing book. Don't you wish it could be used as a hiking guide? Someday...

desertstars

#6608285 - 06/29/14 10:16 PM

They don't wait for a minimum number of orders, unless the people at CreateSpace have flat out lied to me(more than once). Paperback sales of my books are so sporadic that if this were, indeed, the practice, no one would have received a paperback of anything I've published yet.

Glad Amazon finally got their act together and delivered the book. My own budget has not yet allowed me to place an order. Getting a bit envious here in Tucson.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3172

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics