Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: DSObserver2000]
      #6597926 - 06/23/14 05:35 PM

Quote:

If I won the lottery i'd get a 14 inch SCT, a high end CCD camera, and a house in the middle of nowhere with magnitude 8 skies

Tut tut - this is the eyepiece forum ...
Quote:

observatories are too much work for me

Umm - haven't I heard that before

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: nytecam]
      #6598969 - 06/24/14 10:12 AM

Lottery win would mean acreage and house out in dark sky territory with permanent observatory housing some 20" plus (20-30" depending on availability) CDK like this one or RC with 3", 4", and 6" Apo's as finders. CCD's and IIE's all the way. Both live monitor and live eyepiece views. IIE's from Hamamatsu. The extended range type. Narrowband OIII, SII, Ha, Hb filters and a mix of mono and color CCD's.

White phosphor type tubes too for variety.

I'll skip the 40-60" type scopes

The best thing about a lottery win would really be not having to succumb to a work schedule and buying up the property away from everything.

Oh yeah, these would be the $70,000 EMCCD's too.

And sharks with lasers.....

Edited by Vondragonnoggin (06/24/14 10:28 AM)

notrix

Reged: 05/15/14

Loc: high desert ca
Re: If you won the Lottery [Re: Feidb]
      #6600704 - 06/25/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

If I won the lotto and had enough for a 40 inch scope? I would never anchor it down to an observatory, anywhere. I would make the most compact Dob and use it in the same places I already observe around Las Vegas. I have no desire to travel far and wide to observe. Sorry to disappoint. I just don't want to move anywhere else and don't want to drive a big beast to real remote areas I don't already go to now. I would never take it to the major events outside of the Las Vegas Astronomical Society events because too many clubs and groups ban green laser pointers and I don't want nothing to do with groups that do that. So, for me, with a 40 inch, which would be my limit, I'd make it as portable as I could and keep it in my garage. Maybe I'd get a new truck!

why are green lasers baned?

jhors
Riddle me this

Reged: 07/16/07

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: notrix]
      #6601364 - 06/25/14 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I won the lotto and had enough for a 40 inch scope? I would never anchor it down to an observatory, anywhere. I would make the most compact Dob and use it in the same places I already observe around Las Vegas. I have no desire to travel far and wide to observe. Sorry to disappoint. I just don't want to move anywhere else and don't want to drive a big beast to real remote areas I don't already go to now. I would never take it to the major events outside of the Las Vegas Astronomical Society events because too many clubs and groups ban green laser pointers and I don't want nothing to do with groups that do that. So, for me, with a 40 inch, which would be my limit, I'd make it as portable as I could and keep it in my garage. Maybe I'd get a new truck!

A lot of star parties ban green laser pointers because of their potential to disturb other attendees, interfere with long exposure astrophotography, etc.

Edit: I have no wish to start a debate on GLPs and I am not giving my opinion. I am just relating what some star parties publish regarding etiquette.

Edited by jhors (06/25/14 02:49 PM)

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #6601410 - 06/25/14 02:49 PM

Quote:

Lottery win would mean acreage and house out in dark sky territory with permanent observatory housing some 20"...

... And sharks with lasers.....

It has been shown that you can only get sea bass, albeit ill-tempered ones.

I'd go with a Dob on a platform that is not too high -- something like a 25" with a focal ratio near f/4. It would be sited on a hilltop in southeast Arizona or southwest New Mexico in an enclosure that blocks wind.

I would want to keep observing at other sites, and I can't imagine wanting to set up anything much larger than what I already have, so no new money would be spent on that equipment.

Tom

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #6611414 - 07/01/14 03:03 PM

Definitely south central New Mexico for me. As it is, I drive there and camp with my C11 and imaging gear. How can you say "no" to a gray/black zone site that looks like this during the day?

I've been to Ft. Davis too. Milder climate in winter, but it's otherwise hot, windy, and dusty much of the time. I'll take the dust-free skies and cooler temperatures of the Sacramento or Capitan mountains for most of the year.

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6628439 - 07/11/14 03:32 PM

I'd get the largest mirror I could and build it into a scope in an observatory, probably in SW New Mexico. Worried about ladders? No problems as I'd also build a custom seat that would elevate to match the eyepiece whenever the scope is moved. The seat would also have a built-in eyepiece tray and tablet (for scope/seat control) so I could relax in comfort while I view.

Then I'd also have a large 30" dob and custom trailer to pull on the back of our RV, so as we traveled I could still have some "decent aperture".

Oh, and Lunt 80mm and 152mm solar scopes too for daytime viewing.

That's a good start!

Philler
sage

Reged: 07/15/13

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: scoping]
      #6632935 - 07/14/14 10:23 AM

Quote:

If you won the Lottery and you were going to have a very large scope say in the 40" to 60" range and you were going to have the Observatory in the U.S. including Hawaii, also if the major Observatories said you could build there where would you build and why. Say for instance elevation, seeing. area.

I always get a kick out of these, "if you won the lottery or power ball..." First place, I'm not dumb enough to throw good money away on trying to win something with a million to one odds. Think about what lotteries are; they are just a legalized form of the numbers racket the mob used to sucker people. You would probably do better playing video poker or slots.
Now if you asked me if I came into a substantial sum of money like an inheritance or made a fortune in business, I think I would want to get some high elevation property with good seeing and transparency in maybe western New Mexico maybe in the area of the VLA. and build an observatory and have maybe a 30 to 40" inch scope and just live there where I can use it as much as I want. The Big island up Mauna Kea would be great too. The thing about Hawaii is you want to have some elevation away from populated areas and you want to be on the dry side usually the west side of the island. On most of the Hawaiian Island, especially the Big Island where the big observatories are, they get mostly clear weather, sometimes less that 10 inches rain per year. But if you are on the east and north east sides you get lots of rain and clouds. Some parts of the desert and high desert of Arizona also have good locations for observatories.

Philler
sage

Reged: 07/15/13

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: If you won the Lottery new [Re: jhors]
      #6635959 - 07/16/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of star parties ban green laser pointers because of their potential to disturb other attendees, interfere with long exposure astrophotography, etc.

Edit: I have no wish to start a debate on GLPs and I am not giving my opinion. I am just relating what some star parties publish regarding etiquette.

I second that about banning GLPs.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1356

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics