Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
steven_usa

Reged: 05/06/14

Re: SSAG + Windows 8.1 - Total Bust new [Re: steven_usa]
      #6600616 - 06/25/14 02:37 AM

Jon: Don't kill the installer. I actually don't think those missing DLLs are important (they aren't the actual drivers). Or, instead of the INF, do right click from the Unknown device (but remove and insert the USB plug a few times, to make sure you're clicking on the right Unknown device that pops up; should only have 1 anyway). I still had the "StarShoot Autoguider" option after the other installs. So my order was:
1) SSAGdrvfull.exe
^-- will indicate some errors, so finish manually by referring to the "drivers" folder where you specified the install to go.
2) SSAGASCOMSetup.exe
3) SSAGPHDUPDATE.exe
4) SSAGPHD2UPDATE.exe
EDIT: Or before a retry of an install, do Show All Devices in the Device Manager and remove all Unknown or anything not working. Maybe do a reboot for fun. Then retry the installs.

Also, for reference: I'm using a Razor Blade 14" laptop, which I've had for about a year. I use it almost daily and on travel a lot, and now also for AP. I highly recommend it (and I'm not anti-Mac, but I wanted to play GW2 on travel also and the GW2 Mac client on the MacBook Pro wasn't smooth enough for me compared to this beast).

Edited by steven_usa (06/25/14 11:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Rista
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/14

Loc: Colorado
Re: SSAG + Windows 8.1 - Total Bust new [Re: steven_usa]
      #6600619 - 06/25/14 02:40 AM

@Steve: I managed to get it installed, however it's not operating properly.

I seem to be using PHD 2.3.0. I wasn't paying attention when I downloaded, I've downloaded it a number of times before. It seems a major new version of PHD was released, which contains dark library creation and some other nifty features. I am honestly not sure if the "4-bit" issue is due to the use of the ASCOM driver, or PHD 2.3. I'm going to give PHD 2.2.2 a try at some point, see if that improves things.

Either way, I've had my fair share of hassles with the SSAG. If this guy on AM comes through, I'll order his QHY5L-II (he claims it's "new"...his rating is pretty high...but who knows. Its a bit cheaper than new, free shipping, so it should be worth it.)

Edited by Jon Rista (06/25/14 02:42 AM)

steven_usa

Reged: 05/06/14

Total Bust new [Re: Jon Rista]
      #6600627 - 06/25/14 02:49 AM

Oh, my PHD is 2.2.1. All drivers + PHD for this SAG were from here:
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/p/99565.uts

It's too cloudy for me to even actually try it out (we even had flash flooding today, and neighbors lost some trees). But I can join the "win 8.1 + USB3" club that got this thing connected. Sorry yours isn't working out, but sounds like the other guider will work out better.

I'm still in my 30-days, and tempted to do a return for making me bust out my old dusty!

tazer
sage

Reged: 12/22/11

Loc: Central North Carolina
Re: Total Bust [Re: steven_usa]
      #6600795 - 06/25/14 08:11 AM

Quote:

I don't like sketchy products, especially when they are involved in as complex and endeavor as astrophotography.

You may want to steer clear of the QHY5-II series then. I've seen a number of threads here on CN where people have had problems getting it working with PHD/2. Lots of people do get it working and have a great experience, just as lots of people get the SSAG working and enjoy it, but if what you're looking for is a "sketch-free" product then astrophotography might not be the best hobby. There just isn't enough of a profit margin for these companies to invest in software Q&A.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Total Bust new [Re: tazer]
      #6600858 - 06/25/14 09:16 AM

The QHY folks provide both a native driver and an ASCOM driver. There should be no trouble getting it to work with one or the other.

But I agree with tazer - it seems like very few software/drivers in our hobby are "sketch-free". Just not enough profit margin to fund the serious development effort required.

-Dan

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Total Bust new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6600876 - 06/25/14 09:39 AM

Quote:

it seems like very few software/drivers in our hobby are "sketch-free". Just not enough profit margin to fund the serious development effort required.

-Dan

Much of the current equipment is built for observing, not imaging. True built for imaging gear is expensive. The voices on here that make recommendations based on experience are often drowned out by those who apparently can't stand the idea that their cheap (insert gear here) wasn't an appropriate purchase for its use.

If one wants "sketch free", buy the proven quality stuff to begin with. As far as the SSAG, I have two and they work fine as sold by Orion (with the 50mm or ST80 scopes).

I have my issues with Orion but "sketchy" is over the top.

All IMO....YMMV

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: Total Bust new [Re: terry59]
      #6601041 - 06/25/14 11:09 AM

Quote:

Much of the current equipment is built for observing, not imaging. True built for imaging gear is expensive. The voices on here that make recommendations based on experience are often drowned out by those who apparently can't stand the idea that their cheap (insert gear here) wasn't an appropriate purchase for its use.

+1

Jon Rista
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Total Bust new [Re: Madratter]
      #6601143 - 06/25/14 12:08 PM

I believe my use of the StarShoot "Autoguider" as a guide cam is entirely appropriate. :P

It may be that the QHY guide/planetary camera is not "sketch-free", however unless I've missed some key threads somewhere on the net, it doesn't have nearly the problems that the SSAG does on Windows 8 (or, really, with USB 3.0 ports in general.)

I'd get the Lodestar X2, however I'd like to do some planetary stuff as well, and the QHY, while slightly less sensitive (74% vs. 77%?), is more versatile. I think from a sensitivity standpoint, it should be easy enough to find guide stars with the QHY whether I'm using a separate guidescope, OAG, whatever.

I guess the last question I really have is, while it may have some potential issues with PHD2, how does it work with MetaGuide? I actually kind of like what MetaGuide offers. I started with PHD2 because I wanted easy...but now, I want power and control. Sounds like MetaGuide might be better for me anyway. If the QHY5L-II works well with that, then I think I'll be set.

Madratter
Postmaster

Re: Total Bust new [Re: Jon Rista]
      #6602048 - 06/25/14 10:24 PM

The QHY5L-II does work with Metaguide. In fact, if I recall correctly, that is what Frank is using.

If I recall, the Lodestar II is a 1/2" vs 1/3" chip so it does have that advantage. Better confirm that though.

Jon Rista
Carpal Tunnel

#6602205 - 06/26/14 12:17 AM

Thanks, MR.

I have another question. For planetary imaging...will the QHY5L-II work with any filter wheels? Of any brand? Maybe the Starlight?

I almost purchased a used one tonight, but then I considered warranty. For an extra $30, I think its worth it to get one new, that has the two year warranty. Before I actually do though, I would like to know that I can use filters to get full-color planetary images when I finally get around to it.

Thanks!

Madratter
Postmaster

Re: Total Bust new [Re: Jon Rista]
      #6602790 - 06/26/14 12:04 PM

There is a filter wheel sold for the ASI120 that I have been told works with the QHY5L-II as well. It cost roughly 80$-90$ for the filter wheel and another 80-90$ for the filter set. If I recall, optcorp sells it. I'll try to search and find it. I have not purchased it yet, so I am going on what I have heard. But I did look at it and it looked like it should work.

Madratter
Postmaster

#6602794 - 06/26/14 12:09 PM

These are the items. As mentioned I believe you can also buy them from OPT.

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/filters/index.asp

Jon Rista
Carpal Tunnel

#6602813 - 06/26/14 12:24 PM

Thanks, MR. Really appreciate it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 911

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics