Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Allan Wade
sage

Reged: 01/27/13

Loc: Newcastle, Australia
What's the best ortho eyepiece
      #6620478 - 07/06/14 09:08 PM

Of the currently available ortho eyepieces on the market (which rules out the likes of ZAO's) is there a brand that stands out as the best performer.

I have settled on getting some Tak Abbe Ortho's for use on lunar and planets. I thought I might pose this question here before I plonk down my cash.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: Allan Wade]
      #6620873 - 07/07/14 03:31 AM

Assuming you want short focal length, you might try to get your hands on the Pentax XO 2.5 and 5.0. Folks may quibble as to whether the design is properly "ortho" but it's the same idea.

Allan Wade
sage

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #6620900 - 07/07/14 05:36 AM

While I like the idea of using a short focal length XO, the eye relief would probably drive me crazy. I have found that I see more lunar and planetary detail using bino viewers, so eyepieces around 12mm to 18mm provide ideal magnification with the Denk power switch, plus they have more useable eye relief.

When I observe with single eyepieces I use Delos. While not quite at XO level for planetary observing I think they would be close enough under most seeing conditions.

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
      #6620905 - 07/07/14 05:42 AM

Takahashi orthos out perform anything currently available new. Not enough focal lengths however.

Lance1234
sage

Reged: 11/01/12

Loc: SoCal
      #6620957 - 07/07/14 07:26 AM

You might look into the TMB Supermonocentrics sold by APM telescopes.

snommisbor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: Lance1234]
      #6621200 - 07/07/14 11:02 AM

I have been very impressed with the University Optics HD's. Made in Japan optics and priced very reasonably. I think it is the best value to quality ratio out there in a new eyepiece. Right now they just have the 4, 6, and 25. Actually just went to their site and they added the 12 back and looks like a 9 and 18 are about to be released. Been waiting on that 12 to come back so I am about to get that one to complete my set. Search University Optics HD's on here and you will see great reviews.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #6621259 - 07/07/14 11:33 AM

I'm surprised you want an Ortho with those three Delos in your list.
Sam

Lance1234
sage

Reged: 11/01/12

Loc: SoCal
      #6621518 - 07/07/14 01:19 PM

Just following up on my earlier post, APM currently makes 16, 18 & 21mm Supermonos which is right in the range you are interested in. The general consensus seems to be that their performance equals, or is very close to, the ZAOs. Their main limitation is a 30* field of view.

You might also pick up a copy of the book Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces by one of our very own, BillP. It contains a wealth of information on the performance of various eyepieces.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6621600 - 07/07/14 01:56 PM

Quote:

You might also pick up a copy of the book Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces by one of our very own, BillP. It contains a wealth of information on the performance of various eyepieces.

A truly excellent book that is easy to read (available from Amazon and others)

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: planet earth]
      #6621707 - 07/07/14 03:01 PM

Quote:

Sam

Me too, I haven't reached for an ortho in some time now since I have the Delos and I keep hearing this more and more from others, I can't see any difference between the leading available orthos and the Delos.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/5632044

Allan Wade
sage

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6622053 - 07/07/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

I have been very impressed with the University Optics HD's. Made in Japan optics and priced very reasonably. I think it is the best value to quality ratio out there in a new eyepiece. Right now they just have the 4, 6, and 25. Actually just went to their site and they added the 12 back and looks like a 9 and 18 are about to be released. Been waiting on that 12 to come back so I am about to get that one to complete my set. Search University Optics HD's on here and you will see great reviews.

Rob, I have been trying to buy the UO orthos since last year, but I keep buying other gear instead. In the mean time Tak released their eyepieces and I have been leaning toward getting them instead. I am sure there is probably little difference between the two.

Allan Wade
sage

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: planet earth]
      #6622090 - 07/07/14 06:50 PM

Quote:

Sam

Sam, when it comes to observing with single eyepieces I agree that the Delos is near the top of the tree. But observing lunar and planets through bino viewers has to be seen to be believed. My lifetime best views of Jupiter and Mars have occurred since using my Denks with the humble TV Plossl. On those nights of great seeing I could see more detail with that setup than when using the Delos. So I rarely mono view anything in the solar system anymore.

The reason for the orthos - I don't like using the Plossls on Saturn or the moon for that matter. I prefer eyepieces with a cool colour tone for these which I think will be the case with the Tak orthos.

Allan Wade
sage

#6622102 - 07/07/14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Just following up on my earlier post, APM currently makes 16, 18 & 21mm Supermonos which is right in the range you are interested in. The general consensus seems to be that their performance equals, or is very close to, the ZAOs. Their main limitation is a 30* field of view.

Thanks Lance. I have looked at the Supermonos over and over again, but I don't know if I am hard core enough to move to a 30 degree field of view. Plus they are expensive when doubling up in a bino. I will stick with the orthos next and maybe revisit the Supermonos one day.

Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
      #6622129 - 07/07/14 07:11 PM

Hi Allan,
18mm ortho's give my best ever solar system views in my WO bino's. So much so I sold all my XW's recently…..as I don't have Denks and power switching things I use 2 and 3X TV barlows to get the mags I need. I have no idea or really care what the actual magnification is with the bino's in the focuser but once again two eyes are better than one! The ER is perfect too and the FOV 'looks' wider than it probably is, all the benefits of bino's I'm sure you know anyway!
I'm using UO VT orthos.
Matt

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#6622370 - 07/07/14 09:59 PM

Quote:

While I like the idea of using a short focal length XO, the eye relief would probably drive me crazy. I have found that I see more lunar and planetary detail using bino viewers, so eyepieces around 12mm to 18mm provide ideal magnification with the Denk power switch, plus they have more useable eye relief.

When I observe with single eyepieces I use Delos. While not quite at XO level for planetary observing I think they would be close enough under most seeing conditions.

I like eye relief too: it is why the XO 2.5 and 5.0 are my favorite in the tiny glass category. I definitely prefer them to the ZAO 4 and 6mms, and mI prefer all of them to the TMB supermonos which I had one or two of once upon a time.

GN

Allan Wade
sage

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: Messyone]
      #6622418 - 07/07/14 10:23 PM

Thanks Matt, another vote for the ortho/bino combination. I also think an 18mm will give me a nice range of magnification with the power switch, plus good eye relief.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6622751 - 07/08/14 03:52 AM

I'd getcha a pair of these.

Allan Wade
sage

Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6622784 - 07/08/14 05:13 AM

Thanks Johnny. I've seen those around, but do you know how they perform compared to the Taks?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #6623037 - 07/08/14 09:35 AM

Quote:

I like eye relief too: it is why the XO 2.5 and 5.0 are my favorite in the tiny glass category. I definitely prefer them to the ZAO 4 and 6mms, and mI prefer all of them to the TMB supermonos which I had one or two of once upon a time.

GN

+1. I find the eye relief of both XO's perfectly comfortable to my eyes. And the optical performance cannot be beat.

Mike

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: What's the best ortho eyepiece new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6623148 - 07/08/14 10:36 AM

but the XO's are not orthos. we're lucky the moderators haven't intervened, this thread is supposed to be about orthos dammit!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1600

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics