Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Alan French
Night Owl

Reged: 01/28/05

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: bicparker]
      #6620292 - 07/06/14 07:04 PM

I'm considering upgrading from my 27mm Panoptic to the 22 Nagler. My wife has the 22 and it is very nice.

Clear skies, Alan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: Alan French]
      #6620303 - 07/06/14 07:12 PM

..And if I had the funds, I'd be all over that 27mm Panoptic !!!!

Matt Lindsey
sage

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: Force]
      #6620565 - 07/06/14 10:00 PM

It fits the gap perfectly. I've got the almost identical set-up (12" Dob, T1 Paracorr). You still get a full 1* field even with Paracorr. I've had a newer version 22T4 for a few years now and love it. The instajust is tight enough there is no slipping. Very solid well crafted eyepiece.

Just be careful screwing filters on the bottom. The field lens hangs pretty low in a convex manner.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: Matt Lindsey]
      #6620707 - 07/06/14 11:45 PM

I agree with many of the positive points mentioned here about the 22T4 Nagler. The immersiveness coupled with the higher magnification and smaller exit pupil make it one of my most used eyepieces and keep other longer f/l eyepieces in the eyepiece case. It is quite comfortable even with glasses on and it is not too large, though it is dense.

I use with the PC2 in the STS 11 and w/o coma correction in the 8" dob--until now. I snagged a Baader MPCC and plan to use it to perfect the views while not taking away from the TFOV.

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6620840 - 07/07/14 02:19 AM

Quote:

Phil,

Why would you want a 22mm Nag over the 22mm LVW? Is it really that much better?

If you own a dob 12", or larger and a paracorr T1 or T2, the short answer is, "yes it is". It gives a larger TFOV and a much more immersive view than the 22mm LVW.

In 8" and 10"/f5 type scopes I prefer the 27mm TV Panoptic without paracorr rather than adding the extra weight of the 22mm Nagler and Paracorr. If you don't own a paracorr and your scope might experience balance issues the 27mm Panoptic or the 22mm Vixen LVW are better options. I have left the 24mm Panoptic out of the discussion as it has shorter eye relief and IMO is less versatile and does not give as immersive a view as the 27mm Panoptic.

Cheers

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6621173 - 07/07/14 10:45 AM

Quote:

The 22T4 has a substantially wider field of view vs. the 22LVW. The latter is sharper than the former without a Paracorr, but since I recently acquired a Paracorr, I'm taking a second look at the 22T4.

The 22LVW also doesn't get along too well with a Paracorr. You need even more in-travel in 1.25"-mode than you do with a 14mm or 17.3mm Delos. The 22T4 can be set on the "5" setting of the older Type-1 Paracorr that I have and it works great.

I tried Syed's 22T4 out and it really had that certain, "oomph"--a wide field of view, a 3.9mm exit pupil that's great for wide objects, yet maintains more sky contrast than a lower-power ocular.

Clear Skies,
Phil

i did that move 1 month ago and i am very satisfied. the instajust is tigth and does not slip. very immersive and very nice with a paracorr.

i use much less the longer FL EPs now that i have the 22t4.

still need to try it on my f/7 refractor, but in a sct and a dob with a paracorr, it is a great combo

Edited by coutleef (07/07/14 10:47 AM)

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Nagler 22mm Experiences [Re: Alan French]
      #6621201 - 07/07/14 11:02 AM

So why don't you borrow it from Sue?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
36 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 716

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics