Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cadfour

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: Melbourne, Florida
Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality
      #6621978 - 07/07/14 06:00 PM

I started reading the posts on the this 'Eyepieces' forum about a week ago trying to figure out what are the better types of eyepieces,(the next step up), to get for my 2 F5 Reflectors. (See my signature for my current equipment.)
It would be nice for the new eyepieces to provide:
1. a bit more eye relief on the higher power eyepieces
2. cleaner field to the edge...less blurring from the outer part of the field.
3. wider field than 52* celestron/orion plossls.

I would like to get around 5 eyepieces. I really don't want to break my bank, so lets say a budget of 500-700 dollars.

I was thinking for higher magnification....maybe the 5mm and 9mm X-Cell LX....($160)

For the mid magnification, maybe a 15mm and 25mm Tele Vue plossl ($220)

For lower magnification, maybe a wide field ES 30-68 or 40-68 ($300) (I understand these 2"ers won't work for my 6"Starblast, but that's ok)

I am not even sure if these are right for my telescopes, but I am such a novice at this...and reading through similar posts only make my head spin even more. Seems there are so many variables to consider by the time I get done reading them I am almost as confused as I was before reading it.

I have heard over and over again that Reflector telescopes provide more 'bang for the buck'.....that's what I would like from my eyepieces too.

Can I be helped??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: cadfour]
      #6622007 - 07/07/14 06:18 PM

Why not get the full set of Xcel-Lxs for 5 to 25mm?
I have found them all very good.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: Kon Dealer]
      #6622165 - 07/07/14 07:41 PM

I'd get the ES68* 24mm, largest afov you can get in a 1.25" eyepiece. You might also look at the Orion Expanse clones (Agena Astro Enhanced Angle) at the 9mm or 6mm. These have nice eye relief and a 66* fov...for their price (can probably get both for around $100), they work pretty well in faster scopes (but stay away from the 15 & 20mm). You could probably also find a 7T1 nagler used for a nice price...

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6622339 - 07/07/14 09:36 PM

Quote:

I started reading the posts on the this 'Eyepieces' forum about a week ago trying to figure out what are the better types of eyepieces,(the next step up), to get for my 2 F5 Reflectors. (See my signature for my current equipment.)
It would be nice for the new eyepieces to provide:
1. a bit more eye relief on the higher power eyepieces
2. cleaner field to the edge...less blurring from the outer part of the field.
3. wider field than 52* celestron/orion plossls.

I would like to get around 5 eyepieces. I really don't want to break my bank, so lets say a budget of 500-700 dollars.

I was thinking for higher magnification....maybe the 5mm and 9mm X-Cell LX....($160)

For lower magnification, maybe a wide field ES 30-68 or 40-68 ($300) (I understand these 2"ers won't work for my 6"Starblast, but that's ok)

I am not even sure if these are right for my telescopes, but I am such a novice at this...and reading through similar posts only make my head spin even more. Seems there are so many variables to consider by the time I get done reading them I am almost as confused as I was before reading it.

I have heard over and over again that Reflector telescopes provide more 'bang for the buck'.....that's what I would like from my eyepieces too.

Can I be helped??

For my f/5 two vendors told me that I would be happier with a 41mm Panoptic as far as edge of field performance is concerned. At the time both of the vendors had the 40mm on hand but didn't have the 41mm, so they were standing to loose a sale.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: star drop]
      #6622346 - 07/07/14 09:38 PM

At f/5 a Paracorr really cleans up the outer field. It makes a bigger difference with quality eyepieces.

aatt
sage

Loc: CT
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6622354 - 07/07/14 09:45 PM

I disagree with the ES 24mm 68 deg in F/5 rec.That is not a good fit in my experience. Dead center of the field the stars are pinpoint-deviate from DC and they start to seagull until they become widetailed comets at the outer edge.However, that ep is great at F/8.Maybe that is just me though with aging eyes. Televue plossls are 50 degree, but are probably the best plossl you can get.I have the ES 82 degrees in 11, 6.7 and 4.7mm. They are all keepers, although some complain of eye relief issues in the 4.7mm I am o.k. with it.My 11mm is used constantly for DSO and is good at F/5.The 17mm or 20mm Sterling Plossls are very nice and cheap with 55 deg FOV.
The Astrotech Paradigm is 60 deg and is in 15mm fl and seems to be well regarded.

Robert Cook
sage

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: San Diego County, California
      #6622359 - 07/07/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

Would those provide the magnifications that you're trying to achieve? It's easy for me to assume so, but I just want to make sure that you know what you want in this respect. Also, does your Celestron eyepiece/filter set come with a Barlow? If so, do you use it or would you be willing to use it?

Personally, I would recommend, say, the 4.7mm and 8.8mm Explore Scientific 82° EPs instead, even though at $140 each they'll cost you--they're worth every penny and more, in my opinion.

By the way, for my own 6" f/5 Newt I use the 6.7mm ES82 with a 2X Barlow, both by inserting it into the Barlow as usual (2.2X the base magnification in practice), and also by screwing just the Barlow lens assembly directly onto the EP's filter thread, which gives me a third useful magnification (1.5X the base magnification).

Quote:

I'm with csrlice12 on the 24mm ES68, which would maximize the TFOV of your 6" f/5 (or any scope with a 1.25" focuser). I own one of these EPs and use it all the time--a fantastic all-around performer just like the ES82 series, and one of the most comfortable EPs that I've ever used. If you need an intermediate focal length then there are the 16mm ES68 and the 14mm ES82, although you should know that the latter (just this one focal length) has an amount of field curvature that some hardly notice while others are bothered by (has something to do with the ability of one's eyes to compensate); there is no such issue with the 16mm ES68 that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, the 24mm ES68, like many (probably most) EPs in this focal length range, does not play well with Barlows, showing some vignetting (still usable in the normal 2.2X mode, but unfortunately not in the 1.5X mode described above).

Quote:

Either the 40mm ES68 or the 30mm ES82. For me, 68° AFOV is plenty for a wide-TFOV eyepiece, while I prefer a wider AFOV at narrower TFOVs. It's really a matter of personal preference with clock-driven scopes, although of course there is a practical advantage to wider AFOVs at higher magnifications with manual scopes. That said, a 40mm EP in an f/5 scope yields an exit pupil of 8mm, which is likely too much--you can still use it, but the image will be dimmer and the central obstruction might be annoying under some conditions, so you might as well go for the 30mm ES82 (same price).

Quote:

The EPs have to match up with the magnifications you want as well as your telescopes, so you could experiment with what you already have to find out what you want (if you haven't already), or we could make general recommendations, which are actually based not so much on magnification per se but exit pupil, which is convenient in this case since both of your scopes are f/5 (meaning that their exit pupils will be the same for each eyepiece).

"Exit pupil" refers to the width of the shaft of light, if you will, that carries the image from the EP into the pupil of your eye, which in turn determines things such as brightness and sharpness. You can calculate it simply by dividing the focal length of the EP by the focal ratio of the scope--that's how I got 8mm for it above (40mm / 5), and this is wider than most people's (especially the elderly among us--you know, geezers over 30 ) pupils can open up (especially under light pollution). Before I get too deep into all of this (too late!) and confuse you further, answer the questions I've asked and we'll decide how to proceed.

Quote:

I don't want to sound like a shill, but from personal experience and satisfaction, the Explore Scientific eyepieces provide major bang for the buck. There are better, but not at anywhere near this price point, and nothing else at this price point compares, in my opinion, except for the Meade 5000 UWA series, that is, which has similar (but not identical) optics and pricing. That said, there are other good, high-value options, should these prove too costly.

Quote:

Can I be helped??

With eyepieces, sure. But with any neuroses you may develop from taking in too many things too quickly, I'm not so sure because I'm still dealing with mine.

Robert Cook
sage

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: San Diego County, California
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: aatt]
      #6622388 - 07/07/14 10:10 PM

Quote:

I disagree with the ES 24mm 68 deg in F/5 rec.That is not a good fit in my experience. Dead center of the field the stars are pinpoint-deviate from DC and they start to seagull until they become widetailed comets at the outer edge.

Hmmm...I don't see this at all with my 24mm ES68 at f/5. It has a bit of angular magnification close to the outer edge, but I'm not seeing the type of astigmatism that you're apparently describing anywhere in the FOV. Do you have an older one? Mine was one of the early argon-purged ones, not long after they switched from nitrogen--not that this means anything, I'm just establishing the general timeframe.

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
      #6622625 - 07/08/14 12:36 AM

If you are happy with how your scope(s) perform with the eyepieces that you have, then getting others that better suit you is reasonable. However, if your scopes are not currently performing as well as you would like then you are better off redirecting your funds toward fixing that, as opposed to getting different eyepieces. There are many things that have to work correctly in order to get top-notch views, and the eyepiece is way down on the list.

Observing with your local astro club is a great way to compare your scopes and eyepieces to other's and so more completely understand what you have, and what improvements are possible.

bdcmd
sage

Reged: 03/14/08

Loc: Glen Rose, Texas
      #6622659 - 07/08/14 01:35 AM

Just read the other posts in this thread, and very good information provided in general. However, I disagree with many of the recommendations. For your widest field eyepiece, I would choose the TV 27 Panoptic, perfect exit pupil for f/5, eye relief of about 16mm, sharp to the edge. At $339 new, not cheap, but well worth the expense. For the rest, depends on the budget: if somewhat limited, use the Celestron X-Cel LX, in 5,7,9,18. Should give you much better eye relief and fov than a plossl. If the budget not so limited, Radians acquired used for about $150 apiece are the great bargains of our time. For your Newts, I would use the 5,8,and probably the 18. All with 20mm eye relief, very sharp to the edge. What do I use? Radians 3-8, 12, 18, plus the 24 Pan or 26NT5 for widefield, or the TV plossls for other uses (planetary detail). According to the forum posts, the equivalent ES eyepieces provide very much the same views for less money, but I don't have any,so can't say for sure. The ultimate short focal length eyepieces would be the Delos series in 5,6,8,17.3 along with the 27 Pan. You could substitute the 19 Pan for the 17.3 Delos. At this point, look to acquiring exit pupils of 0.5, 0.7, 1.0, 2.0 and 5+. You can decide which eyepieces you prefer and want to spend money on later after developing more viewing experience. Don't sell your Plossls short, they are very good eyepieces.

NorthWolf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/23/09

Loc: Eastern Canada
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: bdcmd]
      #6622865 - 07/08/14 07:30 AM

Used Pentax XW 7mm great eye relief sharp to the edge, used 13mm T6 Nagler sharp to the edge, eye relief not so bad , used or new Baader Aspheric 31mm, super sharp widefield. About 600$

Edited by NorthWolf (07/08/14 07:33 AM)

penguinx64
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Holland
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: Robert Cook]
      #6622866 - 07/08/14 07:34 AM

Quote:

Personally, I would recommend, say, the 4.7mm and 8.8mm Explore Scientific 82° EPs instead, even though at $140 each they'll cost you--they're worth every penny and more, in my opinion.

Yep, I'd get those instead of the X-Cel's for high power, then I'd get 18mm and 25mm X-Cel's for medium power instead of the TV Plossls. TV Plossls only have a 50 degree AFOV, compared to 60 degrees with the X-Cel's.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #6622901 - 07/08/14 08:07 AM

If you can find one used, the 8mm Vixen LVW would work well for you IMO.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: star drop]
      #6622902 - 07/08/14 08:07 AM

" I have heard over and over again that Reflector telescopes provide more 'bang for the buck'.....that's what I would like from my eyepieces too. "

It's ironic that you save money by getting a fast reflector like an f/4-5 Dob, and then you lose money because these fast scopes require the more expensive premium eyepieces to provide good images with these fast scopes. The solution is to buy used premium eyepieces, or stick with eyepieces with 45-50 degree apparent fields.

The inexpensive eyepieces that provide good images with fast scopes are the 6 and 9mm Expanse clones, the Astro Tech Paradigms and the ES line.

aatt
sage

Loc: CT
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: Robert Cook]
      #6623307 - 07/08/14 11:58 AM

My ES24mm is quite new -a 2014.It is very nice in my f/8, but problematic in my f/5

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: aatt]
      #6623555 - 07/08/14 02:20 PM

Quote:

Used Pentax XW 7mm great eye relief sharp to the edge, used 13mm T6 Nagler sharp to the edge, eye relief not so bad , used or new Baader Aspheric 31mm, super sharp widefield. About 600$

I'd hardly call the 31mm Baader ASPH even remotely "good".

In my dob it was even worse than my 32mm Orion Q-70! The Baader Aspherics aren't worth anywhere near what they are selling for even used! 5 or 6 of us looked into it through the course of a night and every one of them said, "How much was it?" and when I told them, they all agreed that it wasn't worth 1/3 of the cost.

Go figure.....one of the highly "respected" eyepiece gurus on here says it is excellent ~ Even in a fast scope!

I sent one back after trying it out once.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6623864 - 07/08/14 05:38 PM

Bad example perhaps? Many people here like the 31mm Aspheric quite a bit. It's perfectly fine in my f/10 CATs.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: dpippel]
      #6623873 - 07/08/14 05:41 PM

An eyepiece that shows really bad astigmatism, isn't really a bad example I don't think. And let's not go blaming the mirror again, because I have looked through other eyepieces in the same FL , or close to it that weren't nearly as bad.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6623920 - 07/08/14 06:05 PM

Quote:

An eyepiece that shows really bad astigmatism, isn't really a bad example I don't think. And let's not go blaming the mirror again, because I have looked through other eyepieces in the same FL , or close to it that weren't nearly as bad.

There is no doubt that fast scopes are hard on eyepieces. Some fair much better than others. Did you get to try that eyepiece in an F10 scope? It would be interesting if you saw the same issues.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Wanting to bump up my eyepiece quality new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #6623945 - 07/08/14 06:20 PM

Oh for sure!

I'm quite aware of both issues!

I was just thinking that before I had typed: I should have tried it in my friend's 14" SCT, but alas, I need it for my dob and reality is, that it sucked in my dob.

Only reason I tried it was because JR Barnett said it was an excellent finder EP even in a fast dob. He couldn't be more wrong about that.

I guess the saying still holds to "take things with a grain of salt" here on CN.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 683

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics