Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
penguinx64
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Holland
Knight Owl new
      #6620965 - 07/07/14 07:34 AM

I looked for an eyepiece between 3mm and 4mm in Don's 2014 Buyers Guide and ran across this Knight Owl 3.2mm eyepiece:

http://www.owlastronomy.com/planetary.htm

It looks similar to a TMB, Agena Astro HD WA or BST Planetary. $46 seems like a good low price. $125 if you buy 3. How are these eyepieces? Anybody try them?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomharri
sage
*****

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6620986 - 07/07/14 08:03 AM

TMB's and their copies are pretty good. Just a little less everything than TV Radians.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDS316
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6621060 - 07/07/14 09:30 AM

Quote:

I looked for an eyepiece between 3mm and 4mm in Don's 2014 Buyers Guide and ran across this Knight Owl 3.2mm eyepiece:

http://www.owlastronomy.com/planetary.htm

It looks similar to a TMB, Agena Astro HD WA or BST Planetary. $46 seems like a good low price. $125 if you buy 3. How are these eyepieces? Anybody try them?




Please heed my first hand advice. Over a year ago my astronomy club ordered a bunch of eyepeices from this company via pay pal. Since then despite multiple attempts to rectify the situation we have received neither the eyepieces nor a refund. There were some previous threads dealing with this problem not too long ago.


http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Eyepieces&...



http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Eyepieces&...

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Eyepieces&...


Caveat emptor

Edited by BDS316 (07/07/14 09:54 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
precaud
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: BDS316]
      #6621124 - 07/07/14 10:14 AM

Agena has the same eyepiece in stock for $50, why roll the dice and deal with a known unreliable vendor?

http://agenaastro.com/bst-1-25-uwa-planetary-eyepiece-3-2mm.html


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
penguinx64
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Holland
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: BDS316]
      #6621139 - 07/07/14 10:24 AM

I saw the website has not been updated in over 1 year. That made me wonder. Wow, I didn't know so many people had problems ordering from them. I'd sure like to try the 3.2mm eyepiece. But in my scope, maybe a 10mm BGO and a 3x barlow would work better anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: tomharri]
      #6621142 - 07/07/14 10:26 AM

Quote:

TMB's and their copies are pretty good. Just a little less everything than TV Radians.




It seems these are 5 element eyepieces and though I remember some confusion about the number of elements in the TMBs, according to the Agena Astro Webpage, these are not copies of the TMBs..

"Please note that while these eyepieces look similar to the TMB / TMB II ED eyepieces (and are also sold by some other sellers incorrectly under the TMB label), they are not the same as the 6-element TMB eyepieces."

Agena Astro BST 1.25 inch 58 degree

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)
*****

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Knight Owl [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6622008 - 07/07/14 06:18 PM

Correct, though not every reseller sells all the focal lengths, these Barsta-made eyepieces are 5-element designs.
Last I saw, they're available in 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 20, and 25mm.
They're available under many different labels.
All have a reasonably long eye relief, though not, perhaps, glasses-long.
Since eye reliefs are the same, that means the internal designs differ among the focal lengths, though whether the number of elements changes, I can't say.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: Starman1]
      #6622806 - 07/08/14 05:51 AM

Quote:

Correct, though not every reseller sells all the focal lengths, these Barsta-made eyepieces are 5-element designs.
Last I saw, they're available in 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 20, and 25mm.
They're available under many different labels.
All have a reasonably long eye relief, though not, perhaps, glasses-long.
Since eye reliefs are the same, that means the internal designs differ among the focal lengths, though whether the number of elements changes, I can't say.




Don:

How many elements did the TMB Planetary's have? I remember some controversy about whether it was 5 or 6...

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eklf
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6622829 - 07/08/14 06:27 AM

Quote:

How many elements did the TMB Planetary's have? I remember some controversy about whether it was 5 or 6...





All except the 9mm were 5 elements; the 9mm was 6 elements IIRC.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Knight Owl new [Re: eklf]
      #6622847 - 07/08/14 06:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How many elements did the TMB Planetary's have? I remember some controversy about whether it was 5 or 6...





All except the 9mm were 5 elements; the 9mm was 6 elements IIRC.




Thanks..

That was what I was thinking as well but the AgenaAstro page for their 5 element BSTs says:

"Please note that while these eyepieces look similar to the TMB / TMB II ED eyepieces (and are also sold by some other sellers incorrectly under the TMB label), they are not the same as the 6-element TMB eyepieces."

My hunch is that these are indeed the same eyepieces or the design is the same as the TMB's...

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
22 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 428

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics