Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rb1082

Reged: 07/01/14

Loc: Los Angeles area
Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: ggalilei]
      #6623757 - 07/08/14 04:23 PM

Seems like some have seen NA without a filter in light polluted skies. I'm having a hard time finding it. I go to Deneb, then head down (toward the horizon) and down and east. Using a standard issue 8" dob with 25mm plossl that came with it, no filters. Is this a issue with me looking at the wrong spot? Any tips on how to get there from Deneb would be appreciate. Feel free to move this to Beginners if more appropriate, just figured since you're already on the topic, I'd ask here.

Also, would any of the intro level planatery color or a moon filter help?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: North America nebula in 80mm? [Re: rb1082]
      #6623914 - 07/08/14 06:02 PM

The NA doesn't jump at you, so just going towards the horizon from Deneb may not be good enough to find it. Either by naked eye or (if you are in a light polluted area) using a finder scope move the telescope slightly from Deneb to Xi Gygni, a couple of degrees away. The nebula starts a short distance away from Xi and extends towards Deneb. Familiarize yourself with the brightest stars in that area from a chart: for instance, stars 56 and 57 are the brightest ones and point to the NA nebula. You should see those in the finder scope or the telescope at low power. Use as low power as possible in your telescope. All in all, it is not an easy target, it will take patience.
P.S. I think that any of the filters you mention would make it worse, so try without any filter, unless you have a "nebula" filter.

17.5Dob
sage

Reged: 03/21/13

Loc: Colorado,USA
      #6624016 - 07/08/14 07:16 PM

Here's the NA taken a couple of weeks ago, with a 70mm FOCAL LENGTH camera lens, an un-modified dSLR, in a deep red zone, without an LP filter. You can use it for a finder chart.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: rb1082]
      #6624065 - 07/08/14 07:42 PM

Quote:

Seems like some have seen NA without a filter in light polluted skies. I'm having a hard time finding it. I go to Deneb, then head down (toward the horizon) and down and east. Using a standard issue 8" dob with 25mm plossl that came with it, no filters. Is this a issue with me looking at the wrong spot? Any tips on how to get there from Deneb would be appreciate. Feel free to move this to Beginners if more appropriate, just figured since you're already on the topic, I'd ask here.

Also, would any of the intro level planatery color or a moon filter help?

The North American Nebula is quite large, about 2 degrees across. With a 25mm Plossl in your XT-8, your True Field of View is about 1.1 degrees, it's too narrow to see the North American.

There may be some who see the NAN from an urban light polluted site without a filter but I doubt very much that it would be from a city as larger as LA or even San Diego. I would consider it a real success if I were able to see the NA from my San Diego backyard with a UHC or O-III filter.

It's large and diffuse and best seen from a dark site where the regions nebulosity can be seen naked eye. From Los Angeles, I would be looking south at Scorpio and Sagittarius..

Jon

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6624117 - 07/08/14 08:26 PM

"A 40mm eyepiece provides a 5mm exit pupil which could well be optimal." OK, I took your advice the best I could, Jon. I'm not ready to go for the 41mm Pan, but I ordered the WO 40mm SWAN. Hopefully it will be good enough for my f/8 refractor. If not, it's not a great investment. Thanks, Tonino.

rb1082

Reged: 07/01/14

Loc: Los Angeles area
      #6626249 - 07/10/14 02:10 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Appreciate the knowledge sharing. Beautiful pic of the nebula too! Stunning! Can't wait to see it myself on a darker night.

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: 17.5Dob]
      #6626253 - 07/10/14 02:15 AM

Oh, I finally managed to understand that image: it's a very broad field of view! Deneb is the brightest star and Xi is the orange star at about seven o'clock from Deneb, with the NA nebula looking smallish in between them. Very nice!

mattc_uk
journeyman

Reged: 09/06/08

Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: JMW]
      #6626565 - 07/10/14 10:06 AM

I've seen great views of the Veil nebs through my 250mm reflector and OIII but never really tried the NA neb becuase I was always told its too faint. You've all inspired me to have a go this summer. (I'll have to wait a few more weeks yet as I live in the UK where June/early Jul is a twilight washout thanks to our high latitude)

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: mattc_uk]
      #6626594 - 07/10/14 10:32 AM

The hardest part may be to get a field of view wide enough.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #6628088 - 07/11/14 12:40 PM

Quote:

My skies are reasonably dark, green zone, about 5.3 or better limiting magnitude. How easy/difficult should it be to get a convincing view of this nebula, and how wide is it? I'm thinking of using an f/6 80mm (triplet), and I don't have a nebula filter.

A good low power eyepiece should give you a wide enough field-of-view to observe NGC 7000, the North America nebula. From a dark sky sight, this nebula is visible naked eye as a small hazy spot. With my 10x50 binoculars verification that this is NGC 7000 is possible. So from a dark sky site you snould have no trouble seeing the NA nebula with your 80mm refractor and your lowest power eyepiece. If you have trouble, wait for a better night or go to a darker site.

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: North America nebula in 80mm? new [Re: blb]
      #6628128 - 07/11/14 01:03 PM

Thanks Buddy, I finally managed to see it reasonably well, but there is room for growth with experience! Plus I've just got a 40mm SWAN eyepiece and now can try with the 102mm aperture.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1351

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics