Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
snommisbor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: TEC140 or TMB130 [Re: t.r.]
      #6623937 - 07/08/14 06:15 PM

I wonder how long the wait list is for that scope. I still think the new Stellarvue 130 air space and oil space triplet could be a great alternative to either scope and so far seems to be a pretty short wait time if wait time is a factor.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6623960 - 07/08/14 06:36 PM

The last time I talked to Astronomics about this, they said they were looking to switch to a new producer. This was in late 2012 (or early 2013), so there haven't been any new ones made for a while.

I hope they do begin production again soon. The TMB 130SS is a very nice scope and is the equal to my TEC 140 in everything but aperture. I recently let my TEC 140 go and happily found another TMB. It's a little shorter and a bit easier for me to handle. (I have physical "issues", so please don't take that as any criticism of the TEC.)

Cheers,

Ron

Mickey_C
sage

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: AZ
Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: RAKing]
      #6624063 - 07/08/14 07:42 PM

Quote:

The last time I talked to Astronomics about this, they said they were looking to switch to a new producer. This was in late 2012 (or early 2013), so there haven't been any new ones made for a while.

I hope they do begin production again soon. The TMB 130SS is a very nice scope and is the equal to my TEC 140 in everything but aperture. I recently let my TEC 140 go and happily found another TMB. It's a little shorter and a bit easier for me to handle. (I have physical "issues", so please don't take that as any criticism of the TEC.)

Cheers,

Ron

Switching producers makes this scope a wildcard, IMHO.

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: Mickey_C]
      #6624803 - 07/09/14 08:48 AM

Quote:

Yes it does.

RAKing
Postmaster

Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: Jon_Doh]
      #6624943 - 07/09/14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does.

I agree -- if that does turn out to be the case. If you are interested, the best course of action would be to call Astronomics for accurate news.

Bottom line for me - the "old" TMB 130SS is a fantastic scope and I'm very happy I found another one.

Cheers,

Ron

Mickey_C
sage

#6626232 - 07/10/14 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does.

I agree -- if that does turn out to be the case. If you are interested, the best course of action would be to call Astronomics for accurate news.

Bottom line for me - the "old" TMB 130SS is a fantastic scope and I'm very happy I found another one.

Cheers,

Ron

Not meaning to derail the topic... but Ron, I see in your sig that you have both the 130ss and the Tec 6 MCT. I've owned a TEC 6" MCT (it was number 42 and I rue the day I sold it) and I owned the APM TMB 130 LW CNC II at the same time. The TEC was the better of the scopes... and despite being a cat, it had superior contrast on planets. I've never seen Jupiter's bands and swirls look so artist-drawn as in that scope. Of course the TMB won on wide fields - which was also fine as it had too much light scatter for bright objects anyway. All said there is no scope I regret selling more than my TEC MCT 6".

How do those two of yours compare?

Edited by Mickey_C (07/11/14 12:56 PM)

RAKing
Postmaster

Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: Mickey_C]
      #6626405 - 07/10/14 07:40 AM

PM on the way.

Ron

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

#6627214 - 07/10/14 10:44 PM

Hi Mickey C. For my own personal reference may I ask what vintage your APM TMB 130 LWT was? Obviously the F6, not the F9?

Kirk

Mickey_C
sage

Re: TEC140 or TMB130 new [Re: Moonglum]
      #6627549 - 07/11/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

Hi Mickey C. For my own personal reference may I ask what vintage your APM TMB 130 LWT was? Obviously the F6, not the F9?

Kirk

It was the (APM) TMB 130 F6 CNC LW II, originally I ordered spring/summer 2006. Once upon a time there was a CN thread about it, IIRC, though I don't see it now. It was a pricey telescope, though I don't give a heck about the money now, knowing the full story about Thomas Back's tragic death. Besides, it was as he said, a matter between myself and APM. I sold it fall/winter of 2007, and disclosed the wonderful opportunities it presented for the ATM'er.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4825

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics