Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
Donald6887

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Elk Grove, Ca.
Mallincam Set-Up new
      #4956620 - 12/08/11 11:13 AM

I've noticed that some of the Mallincam set-ups on SCT's (fork base)use diagonals while others do not, what would be the preferance? Will the camera / focal reducer / wires clear the base when using a diagonal?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
biomedchad
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Marion, Ohio
Re: Mallincam Set-Up new [Re: Donald6887]
      #4956786 - 12/08/11 01:19 PM

many things contribute to how the mallincam is attached. focal reducers and barlows will move the focus point around so you can use diagonals and such to adjust for that. some prefer the diagonal for cable management or the fact that without the diagonal the mallincam and cables sticking straight out will not clear the base of the fork mount.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Mallincam Set-Up new [Re: Donald6887]
      #4956977 - 12/08/11 03:29 PM

I have a 10" Meade LX200. My camera is mounted directly to the back of the Meade to get the widest field of view possible. Using a diagonal will result in a slightly smaller field of view.

I bought a few parts from ScopeStuff to mount the camera/focal reducer as close to the telescope as possible. With right angle connectors on all the cables the camera will clear the base of the mount and allow the telescope to slew to 90 deg. in Dec.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Observatory.html

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
Re: Mallincam Set-Up [Re: Donald6887]
      #4957615 - 12/08/11 11:31 PM

I installed a FeatherTouch Crayford focuser on my CPC 1100 because of image shift with the stock focuser. Because of this, I have to use a diagonal for my MallinCam to clear the base.

If it wasn't for the external focuser though, I would not use use a diagonal to gain a little extra field of view.

Don

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 862

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics