Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
Fox1971

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Oregon
Selsi Telescope new
      #5000956 - 01/04/12 02:09 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a Selsi No 274 60 MM Selsi Altazimuth Mount Refractor locally. It is packed in the original wooden crate which is in excellent shape and the scope, mount and parts are still wrapped in plastic. I do not believe the scope was ever used or even taken out of the box. Only $75-wondering if there are opinions on whether it would be a worthwhile purchase since it appears unused. I think these were f/15? Thanks all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Selsi Telescope new [Re: Fox1971]
      #5001130 - 01/04/12 03:57 PM

Not having seen it, I don't see how you could go wrong with that price, as long as the optics are in good shape, I'd say that's worth considering.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Selsi Telescope new [Re: David E]
      #5001324 - 01/04/12 05:54 PM

Fox,

I recently encountered a vintage Selsi 60mm alt-az scope that was Japanese, but had a plastic objective cell, and a metal tube with a seam - like a piece of stove pipe - along it. Many Selsi's are fine scopes, this one wasn't. Check this before you open your wallet......
On the other hand, you might have a fine deal in hand.....
Russ

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Selsi Telescope new [Re: Fox1971]
      #5001490 - 01/04/12 07:37 PM

Fox,

I'd give that a shot for $75. Even though it is wrapped up, open the wrapping and check the optics. If you do it in daylight, you can still to a terrestrial check to make sure there are no gross errors in the optics. I'd check it if it was local to me.

Neil

AstroPhys
sage

Reged: 07/01/08

Loc: 12th of Never
Re: Selsi Telescope new [Re: apfever]
      #5001526 - 01/04/12 08:03 PM

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4822680/Main/4819662

See this thread for more info on Selsi scopes. Look for japan on the label and metal focuser knobs as a clue to quality, then check the optics. I have a vintage pair of Selsi binoculars that are absolutely the best I have ever used. At that price, it is a bargain if it is one of the good ones.

strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: Selsi Telescope [Re: Fox1971]
      #5001973 - 01/05/12 02:03 AM

Hi Fox,

I would speculate that this is a 60mm X 700mm (very maybe 800mm). Although longer fl 60mm scopes were put on alt/az mounts (60 X 1000mm SPI) usually they were shorter fl. The silver tube and styrofoam inserts in the case remind me of a TOWA (would be a small circled T on the focuser) product marketed through Sears as well as other names Can't see too many details but the condition appears to be new which is pretty amazing for a 40 plus year old anything!

Please let us know what you find out.

other keith

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1877

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics