Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Moe Arif
sage

Reged: 08/16/08

Loc: Central NY
Bushnell Sky Chief II? new
      #3915424 - 07/11/10 04:40 PM

Anyone know anything about Bushnell Sky Chief II, model 78-5100? When were these made? How are the optics and build quality? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: Moe Arif]
      #3916281 - 07/12/10 02:32 AM

Hi Moe,

I picked up a Bushnell Sky Chief III 78-5700 Made in Japan a few years ago mostly for the finder and tripod legs. The tube is plastic, however the focus knobs are metal. Optically not a keeper. Some of the early Sky Chief scopes were great, but not mine. There was nothing about this scope that even suggested the quality found in the older vintage scopes. Maybe the Sky Chief II has elements of quality. I believe both Steve Miller and Darrell Spencer (aka Desertrefugee) have some nice Bushnell glass.

Oh and awesome C-8 and accessories!

other keith

bigbeck
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/13/08

Loc: Trenton, NJ
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: strdst]
      #3917752 - 07/12/10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Hi Moe,

I picked up a Bushnell Sky Chief III 78-5700 Made in Japan a few years ago mostly for the finder and tripod legs. The tube is plastic, however the focus knobs are metal. Optically not a keeper. keith

I found one of these(sky chief III)in the garbage today. EQ mount,wood tripod,60mm. It was missing the diagonal. I guess I should put it back in the trash? I certainly don't want to spend 30.00 on a .965 X 1.25 diagonal if it's a junk scope.

Don

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: bigbeck]
      #3917791 - 07/12/10 08:11 PM Attachment (142 downloads)

If you find this one, I would keep it.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #3917797 - 07/12/10 08:15 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #3917855 - 07/12/10 08:35 PM

Steve,

You and Gregg have nice classic Sky Chief II scopes, but weren't there later versions still called Sky Chief II (like maybe the one Moe mentions) that have a model number 785100 and probably no individualized serial number on the label and nowhere near the build of your scopes? If all II's are the same quality then Moe, ignore my first response and go for it!

other Keith

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#3917887 - 07/12/10 08:56 PM Attachment (104 downloads)

Yes there are. This is a virtually new example from the early 80's. Although made in Japan and with an air-spaced doublet not near the quality of a Royal Astro.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: greju]
      #3917897 - 07/12/10 09:02 PM Attachment (100 downloads)

Still a nice little grab and go scope if you can get it for the right price. This was $29.00 on the auction site if that is helpfull at all. I thought it was a good deal, others may not! Bought it for when one of the grandkids gets older. Their going to be future astronomers whether they like it or not!

Edited by greju (07/12/10 09:25 PM)

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#3917901 - 07/12/10 09:04 PM

As a matter of fact, that is whats going to get used tonight!

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #3917968 - 07/12/10 09:40 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

You are going to like that scope. Ask me how I know

Moe Arif
sage

Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #3918714 - 07/13/10 10:29 AM Attachment (90 downloads)

Well, this one is different yet. Same model number, Japan and with a circle T. The knobs are plastic - so, I'm sure mine is not as good quality as the original Sky Chief II

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: bigbeck]
      #3919643 - 07/13/10 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Moe,

I picked up a Bushnell Sky Chief III 78-5700 Made in Japan a few years ago mostly for the finder and tripod legs. The tube is plastic, however the focus knobs are metal. Optically not a keeper. keith

I found one of these(sky chief III)in the garbage today. EQ mount,wood tripod,60mm. It was missing the diagonal. I guess I should put it back in the trash? I certainly don't want to spend 30.00 on a .965 X 1.25 diagonal if it's a junk scope.

Don

Don ,I haver met a scope that wasnt worth keeping ,or fixing up and passing on, yes , sometimes the eps need changed, or a finder needs found ,in one case I had to peice together a mount from bits and parts, but definately do not throw it away.
Theres an owner somewhere for every scope.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#3921130 - 07/14/10 01:02 PM Attachment (87 downloads)

The Sky Chief (sorry Mike)III mentioned by other Keith. This is when quality really went south, generally. Hard to believe this scope was manufactured in Japan, looks more like it came from China or R.O.C. While the OTA optics (?) seem to be nothing more than a piece of plastic the finder is quite acceptable for its size. I use the mount often as I can lift it with my little finger, takes up very little space in the vehicle, is almost as smooth as butter and most importantly stands a full 50" tall. Its stability I find acceptable and its height is perfect for small refractors. I would be happy to find one of these in the garbage as I paid 10 bucks for mine!

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#3921131 - 07/14/10 01:03 PM Attachment (75 downloads)

The finder scope. Before anyone jumps all over me for this, yes, I know the finderscope is not positioned properly! . It is still just as I got it years ago, only use the mount. Actually had to go thru two closets before I found the OTA!

Edited by greju (07/14/10 01:24 PM)

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#3921139 - 07/14/10 01:04 PM Attachment (86 downloads)

The all important focuser label!

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#3921150 - 07/14/10 01:07 PM

The grandkids will learn how to use a GEM with this mount!

Hitech
sage

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: NW PA.
Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? [Re: bigbeck]
      #3966186 - 08/05/10 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Moe,

Don

Were you digging in the same garbage can I was? Coincidentally my Sky Chief II was placed atop a garbage can at curbside that I chanced upon on my way home one evening. Everything was there, including erector, diagonal, EP, and barlow. Mine is made in Japan and OTA is metal, metal focuser and metal knobs, even a metal dew shield. Scope works well and has the Alt/Az mount. It's a decent beginner scope or use as a guide scope.

Moe Arif
sage

Re: Bushnell Sky Chief II? new [Re: Hitech]
      #3966541 - 08/05/10 07:39 PM

That's a great find. I keep hoping I'll find a cool vintage telescope in the trash someday I drove an hour to pick up my Sky Chief II. It's in great shape, came with two EPs, a moon + a sun filter neither of which were ever taken out of their plastic wrap. I'm impressed with how well-built the mount is - I wasn't expecting much. I had a brief view of couple of stars with it and they were nicely sharp. Alberio also showed nice colors. I've been meaning to take some pictures and post them here - I'll try to do that tonight. I've also been waiting for clear skies for over two weeks now but I'll do a comparison of the Sky Chief again the Sywatcher 70mm refractor that I also have and post the results.

Edited by Moe Arif (08/05/10 07:39 PM)

Moe Arif
sage

#3980643 - 08/13/10 11:33 AM Attachment (138 downloads)

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures. First, the close-up of the focuser. (you can see the "before" picture at an earlier posting). Here is the "after":

Moe Arif
sage

#3980650 - 08/13/10 11:36 AM Attachment (107 downloads)

The objective is in great condition. Inside surface was very clean and I cleaned up the outside surface gently and with great care.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8266

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics