Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
jimegger
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/05

Loc: Palmer,Alaska
8 or 10 inch refractor project new
      #4219896 - 11/30/10 08:52 PM

Hello all. I am wanting to fabricate my own refractor lens doublet in at least 8 inch range but would go for a 10 inch if feasible. I would like to go with ED glass as the lens would be in the f/10 area if possible. I have made a beautifully performing 6 inch refractor with the classic doublet. My question is , where does one go to get lens blank material for such a project. If the price is out of my league for ED glass I would opt for a longer focal length doublet. I have contacted Newport Glass and United Lens. Is there anyone else out there who supplies glass ? I used Palomar Optical supply once but when I called a number for them listed on the web I got a no service reply. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by jimegger (11/30/10 10:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: jimegger]
      #4220200 - 12/01/10 12:09 AM

Try Glass Fab at http://www.glassfab.com/.

10" "ED" glass blanks like FK01, S-FPL52, S-FPL53, FK51, etc. are really going to be pricey, several thousand $$$. Good luck and get ready for sticker shock!
Mike

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #4220668 - 12/01/10 10:01 AM

Quote:

Try Glass Fab at http://www.glassfab.com/.

Good luck and get ready for sticker shock!
Mike

Especially if you want the blanks certified for quality!!

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: Jeff B]
      #4220893 - 12/01/10 11:50 AM

Thanks Mike and Jeff ! I'll look into it further. I knew the ED glass would be more that's why there is a plan "B" for a classic lens design with the usual glass. Newport Glass was pretty reasonable on the classic doublet with the F series glass in the 8 inch size.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #4221118 - 12/01/10 01:44 PM

Jim.....Not to rain on anybodies' parade here but you do realize the expense and size of a good mount. Kiss any desire of portability out the window if you want jiggle and wobble free performance. Were talking at least 2-1/2" shafts and heavy castings to achieve that. But semi "portability" has been accomplished here by several with lesser sized mounts. Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: mikey cee]
      #4221155 - 12/01/10 01:55 PM

Jim..I agree with Mike the *rain maker*. You're gonna need a substantial mount.....one of which I just happen to have for sale. A heavely modified 2.5" shaft Cave Observatory series GEM with a Byer's drive.

Just so you know.

Rob

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #4221192 - 12/01/10 02:10 PM

Thanks Mike and Rob.
I planned to make a mount for it when the scope is done. I run Aeroquest Machining so the mount and drives are no problem. The six inch refractor I made in the mid nineties is actually able to be used on my EQ5 mount from Skywatcher but it is maxed out as such. I figure the 8 or ten inch (whichever I go with) will need some beef so I am planning to build a conical German style mount head with 11.5 inch worm gears. It would be in the "heavy" portable class".

Dick Parker
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Tolland, CT and Chiefland, FL
      #4221216 - 12/01/10 02:21 PM

Jim -

Been there, looked into that. I built a very successful 6 inch f/15 refractor and thought WOW on to an 8 inch. Color was not what I wanted. I priced glass for an APO doublet and there went that dream. I considered Rolands mid spaced triplet. Glass no longer available. So, I now have glass for a 9 inch Schuppmann. For anything larger than 6 inches, I suggest you consider the Schuppmann.

Dick Parker

waynet
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #4221225 - 12/01/10 02:25 PM

Can I just toss in a beginner's question? Does "doublet" mean you have 2 lenses? And does that mean grinding 4 sides?

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: waynet]
      #4221824 - 12/01/10 06:21 PM

Thanks for the advice Dick. It would appear that ED glass would be out of my range but I would still like to go with at least an 8 inch design, I have the urge to push some glass again and you all know how that feels. I have made many reflectors and just the one 6 inch f/11 refractor. I had a great time doing it. It was intimidating at first but once the work started it all fell into place and wasn't all that much more difficult than a good mirror , just more surfaces to play with. The newer more exotic glasses seem to be difficult to get much less at a (ATM'ers) reasonable price. The f/14.1 8 inch lens from Newport Glass was available as a kit with generated surfaces and tooling for $695. That doesn't seem too bad for the usual doublet. I am still pondering......

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: waynet]
      #4221892 - 12/01/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Can I just toss in a beginner's question? Does "doublet" mean you have 2 lenses? And does that mean grinding 4 sides?

Welcome..yes doublet means 2 elements make up the objective.

And yes..again..you will have to figure 4 surfaces.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#4221910 - 12/01/10 06:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike and Rob.
I planned to make a mount for it when the scope is done. I run Aeroquest Machining so the mount and drives are no problem. The six inch refractor I made in the mid nineties is actually able to be used on my EQ5 mount from Skywatcher but it is maxed out as such. I figure the 8 or ten inch (whichever I go with) will need some beef so I am planning to build a conical German style mount head with 11.5 inch worm gears. It would be in the "heavy" portable class".

Indeed you would need some mount for that 8~10".

My 10"f/15 homemade refractor is mounted on my 4" shaft custom made GEM with 12" ring gears' It needs to be heavy to keep that amount of moment steady.

Good luck

Rob

Old Will
sage

Reged: 02/12/10

Loc: Utah
      #4222254 - 12/01/10 09:33 PM

If you fold it, the weight of course would be about the same, but the reduced leverage of a shorter tube would make it much easier to mount. As to the glass, I bought 8" & 9.5" sets of crown & flint on ebay from a Canadian, he got them from Canadian military surplus. His ebay name is blacklincoln. I see his stuff on ebay once in a while.

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

#4222263 - 12/01/10 09:37 PM

Thanks Rob. How did things go with your scope ? Did you grind and polish your own objective ?

I did not use auto collimation with a flat for testing my 6 inch. What I did was use my 12.5 inch reflector to make a collimated beam with a pinhole image at the focal plane. I tested with the focault tester and also a high power eyepiece to check the image of the pinhole. The trick was to figure out which surface was the one that needed to be worked on. I had one concave surface with the other three convex. Without a lot of trouble I got it right and ended up with a really nice f/11 objective. I got the glass from Palomar Optical supply for around $300.00 back in the 90's. They were just the flat blanks with flat tools so I started from Scratch more or less.

How does your scope perform Rob ?

Mert
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/31/05

Loc: Spain, Pamplona
Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project [Re: jimegger]
      #4223640 - 12/02/10 03:10 PM

Interesting project Jim, hope to read more of
your progress on this.
I'd also like to see the surely very nice mount
you're gona machine for that beauty!

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

#4223645 - 12/02/10 03:14 PM

Thanks Old Will for the advice. I'll be looking around for any deals as always with we ATM'ers. I just put out some info to get quotes on different glass types for both an 8 inch and 10 inch objective. I'll let you all know what comes of that if and when the quotes come in.

Old Will
sage

#4225233 - 12/03/10 09:51 AM

You may get more response from suppliers if you fax them. Seems that a fax is a more serious inquiry than an email.

Old Will
sage

Re: 8 or 10 inch refractor project new [Re: Old Will]
      #4225265 - 12/03/10 10:11 AM

I was given enough glass to make a dozen 4" to 6" achromats, (BSC2 & F2) I also bought the surplus for an 8" & 9.5". Having only made mirrors before, I am starting out small. I currently am fine grinding a 6" f/17. After gaining experience I am planning on f/18 for the 8" then f/20 for the 9.5". They will have to be folded down to under 5 feet long.

Anyone have experience making large folded refractors?

8" Newt, 5" f/15 achromat

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics