Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Closed fan system? Or open concept?
      #5613661 - 01/09/13 12:39 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hello,

I have been using a 12 Volt computer fan on the back of my 10" mirror for well over a year or so. At first I had the fan attached to the mirror cell with elastic bands and it worked well from what I gathered. I then did a bunch of research and saw dozens of fans attached to neoprene or wood or a metal enclosure so that the fan would be blowing air on the mirror, but the fan was "closed off" and not "open" like I had mine.

So I went with the closed system and I do find it works, although I am not sure if it works any better? I find that after a night of observing in the extreme cold in the winter that after bringing my telescope inside, it doesn't matter how long I leave it capped,(I put the dust caps on both ends BEFORE I bring it inside), as I do leave the end caps on for about 30-40 minutes, and the mirror will always fog up with condensation after checking the mirror in 30-40 minutes.

Well, when I see this happening, I need to take the backing off with the fan on it so that the warmer air can get to the mirror and have the condensation go away. This is WHY I think the open concept is better because I won't have to keep taking the back part off with the fan on it and put it back on again, once the inside of the tube, including the mirror has dried over time.

Would it be ok to just leave the fan and backing piece on the back of the mirror all of the time? I know eventually the warm air in the house will dry everything off, but it will take a lot longer. Do any of you switch your fans back on once the scope is inside the house to keep the mirror from fogging up?

I just want to know which concept is better with the info I have mentioned here ~ Open mirror with the fan on elastic bands, or closed up with the back piece on the mirror. I also went out last night and bought 8 "D" cell batteries to replace what I was using which is "AA" batteries and all I need now is a D cell battery holder to attach to the fan.

Cheers,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mark Peterman

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Texas
Re: Closed fan system? Or open concept? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5613860 - 01/09/13 02:54 PM

I don't think the fan enclosure on the rear is a problem, just leave the top cap off for a while (45-60 minutes) after bringing the scope inside and everything will equalize without any condensation on the mirror. I leave my cap and scope cover off until the next morning.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Closed fan system? Or open concept? new [Re: Mark Peterman]
      #5614075 - 01/09/13 04:50 PM

Thanks Peter! I was thinking I could do that, but just wanted some reassurance from another star gazer! I would rather just leave the fan and enclosure on all of the time.

Would putting the fan on for a bit help warm it up? Or should I just leave it off and wait until morning? Probably the latter from what you said.

Cheers,

dave brock
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand
      #5614323 - 01/09/13 07:18 PM

As an aside, if the 8 D batteries are not going to ride in the back like it appeared the AA batteries did, you might be better off with a rechargable gel cell. I use a 7AH on my 20" and it lasts about 6 months per charge.

Dave

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Closed fan system? Or open concept? new [Re: dave brock]
      #5614930 - 01/10/13 06:20 AM

I drove all over the place last night trying to find one of these.

I'm going to keep looking. What I will do is velcro it to the bottom inside of my dob base.

Cheers,

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5614956 - 01/10/13 07:00 AM

Quote:

I drove all over the place last night trying to find one of these.

I'm going to keep looking. What I will do is velcro it to the bottom inside of my dob base.

Cheers,

Sunday, I was at the Frys here in San Diego and was just browsing their parts and happened to notice they had quite a variety of battery packs the very one you are looking for...

Frys Store Locations

Jon

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 647
Calendar Event: 01/09/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC