Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
diesel

Reged: 02/10/12

is the beach a good or bad idea
      #5848907 - 05/08/13 10:26 PM

i am gettting ready to go the beach and i was thinking about taking my nexstar 8se to the outer banks where there isnt very much light and set up on the beach where they isnt any houses in the way of the sky. I was wondering if the humidity might be a problem and if the sand will be a problem. Any hints or tips would be very helpful

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: diesel]
      #5848945 - 05/08/13 10:39 PM

I wouldn't set up directly on the beach if there's any wind blowing due to wind blown grit and salt spray. If you can find or setup a shelter of some sort (perhaps rig some tarps), that would be the best way to go. Another option (what I've done) is to use binoculars if observing from the beach. Another option would be a "disposable" scope, say an inexpensive achromat. A dob would also be good, as you could always disassemble the scope and give it a good cleaning when you return.

kraberus

Reged: 04/27/13

Loc: Spokane, WA
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: caheaton]
      #5849105 - 05/08/13 11:45 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't set up directly on the beach if there's any wind blowing due to wind blown grit and salt spray.

+1

Sand can be brutal on tripods. Use zip-tied or rubber-banded ziploc bags around the feet at the very least. Plan on spending some time dismantling the tripod afterwards and blowing sand out.

Also make sure any sand is totally removed from any glass elements before you wipe anything off...you don't want to scratch anything. Use one of those rubber air blower things if you have one.

That said, I'd give it a shot - just be ready to call it a day if the conditions warrant.

Ebyl

Reged: 07/04/12

Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: kraberus]
      #5849109 - 05/08/13 11:48 PM

I would also be very careful about taking a decent scope anywhere near the beach. Sand gets everywhere, even if you are not actually standing on the beach itself. Even areas adjacent to beaches are constantly encroached upon by sand. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: Ebyl]
      #5849120 - 05/09/13 12:04 AM

the only thing I take the beach is my camera gear, and no matter what sand gets on the gear. if you do take it, even if you don't see sand on your scope blow it off with a can of air real good! this stuff can be so small and might not see it. I always use air at the beach, I learned the hard way years back when I scratched a canon L lense.

michael hester
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/08

Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5849864 - 05/09/13 11:45 AM

You're better off setting up on the beach house you rent if it has a good deck. I was in one with a third level deck once. With the exception of some annoying street lights it was a decent view.

snork
sage

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: michael hester]
      #5849913 - 05/09/13 12:15 PM

Last year I took a pair of 7x35 binoculars to Folly Beach in SC and was amazed at what I was able to see. Never really been to a dark site here in Ohio, so the beach is the darkest site I've experienced, especially when they require all lights near the beach turned off at night due to Sea Turtles hatching. Was thinking about taking a scope this year but have decided to take my 10x50 bino's this year. Just saying that if you're worried about your scope, binoculars due a pretty good job at the beach.

BoldAxis1967
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Kentucky
      #5850041 - 05/09/13 01:27 PM

Sand always finds a way to get into everything. I would not set-up anywhere on or near the ocean.

I would try setting up near the sound. If the wind is blowing off the ocean say more than 5-7 mph? I would not set up anywhere. I do not know how far salt water spray (suspension) is carried but if the surf is up then the spray might be more easily picked up by any wind. The sound water is brackish, high salinity, but I would not think particulates would be as easily picked up.

On the other hand, if the wind is light off-shore (from the west) then this would be an advantage, for surfers and you. Still if the westerly winds are over say 5-7 mph I would be hesitant. It would depend on where you would be located, in a very exposed area or in a more protected area.

I would only take your least valuable EPs.

In spite of all the caution, I would take some gear, it could be good seeing if you go before the heat and humidity of summer arrives.

By the way, if the surf is up, stay in the white water.

LB

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: BoldAxis1967]
      #5850063 - 05/09/13 01:44 PM

Everything metal gets nasty quick at the beach..n that said I haven't brought a scope there but yes on cameras ,,cars etc.. Nasty salty grit is in the air always..my I laws live right on the beach with lousy light pollution in their case in Massachusetts, but a spectacular horizon to horizon view.. Plan to take a cheaper achromat as mentioned.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
      #5850064 - 05/09/13 01:44 PM

I have used my scope at a beach house that was less than 100 yards from the ocean. It had a concrete slab patio that I used to observe from, as I would never consider setting a scope/tripod on the sand. I would recommend using a dew shield to help reduce salt spray on the optics and avoid observing any targets near zenith. Yeah, it's doable, just reduce any chance of exposure to corrosive salt spray- Keep things dry and clean.(Oh, I forgot- don't get sunblock or tanning lotions anywhere near optical surfaces or rubber/latex eyepiece grips.)
-----
Dave

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5850076 - 05/09/13 01:50 PM

Sand RUINS optics. Don't bring anything you won't want to possibly write off as a complete loss. For beach observing I would use sealed waterproof binoculars and a rugged tripod. I wouldn't take anything else especially a telescope with mirrors or eyepieces. If you are set on bringing a telescope of sorts then get yourself a good spotting scope like what someone would use for target shooting. Before I upgraded to "real" telescopes I did all my astronomical viewing in Virginia Beach using nothing more than my binoculars and Yukon Optics spotting scope.

obin

Edited by obin robinson (05/09/13 01:50 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5850091 - 05/09/13 01:58 PM

I almost mentioned that myself... My father inlaw who lives at said beach is a birder so on Christmas I showed them all Jupiter and did some observing with his spotting scope , and hey.. Not bad! Had a good quality zoom on it too

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5850274 - 05/09/13 03:24 PM

Hmmmm....you're going to the beach and want to look up in the sky?? I am confused.

And yes, sands gets into everything.

BoldAxis1967
sage

Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5850324 - 05/09/13 03:46 PM

Good point about the sunblock lotions.

I used to live on the Outer Banks many, many years ago. Did not have a telescope then, but keeping my camera and binoculars clean required extra caution. When you live at or near the ocean one can develop a system for confronting these dangers of sand and salt. But being a newbie to this environment adds to this risk.

BoldAxis1967
sage

Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5850350 - 05/09/13 03:57 PM

I have started to use a dew shield (black construction-art paper) for my reflector all the time now to keep pollen, dust, stray light out. I think this $1 shield has improved contrast and help keep the mirrors clean.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5850491 - 05/09/13 05:12 PM

Beaches are usually overcast here where I live. This overcast puts moisture everywhere. Typically the sun burns it off by around 11am but then it comes back at night. Not sure about the conditions of the beach you are going to but that is something to consider.

ylem
sage

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Monroe, NC
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5850550 - 05/09/13 05:56 PM

Just got back from Myrtle, had my mak on a balcony, had the time of my life with it.quite dark over the ocean, and lots of fun during the day.
I have it mounted alt az, and like others said just keep it away from sand and salt spray and you'll have a blast, even if its cloudy there's plenty to observe

Jeff

paulr57

Reged: 01/09/13

Loc: Asheboro, NC
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: ylem]
      #5850666 - 05/09/13 06:57 PM

I am a frequent flyer on the outer banks (Nags Head). I took my dob once, and after dealing with the prevailing winds, which can be quite forceful at night, it was coated with salt and sand. That was enough for me.

Now it's binoculars for me at the beach, and they provide a very nice view! You can use them during the day, if you like viewing the wildlife, and other distance objects. It's a birder's paradise!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5850688 - 05/09/13 07:04 PM

Sand and salt water can raise havoc with optics. I would just be careful as you would if you took a camera to the beach.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: is the beach a good or bad idea new [Re: GeneT]
      #5850883 - 05/09/13 08:24 PM

I would never think of observing at the beach...

Stan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1005
Calendar Event: 05/08/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC