Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula)
      #5931708 - 06/20/13 05:25 PM

Hello out there Deep Sky enthusiasts!

I wanted to share something I haven't seen before, in such amazing brightness! I was out observing with two other friends on Tuesday June,18 2013. I got out to the dark spot where limiting mag is about 5.2. The moon was up and in it's slightly gibbous phase until around 2am. I tried for both parts of The Veil early, but it was so low that it was very dim. In all instances of looking at the West or East parts, I normally use a 38mm 70° SWA 2" eyepiece to get all of each part once at a time.

Well, 2am rolled around and the gibbous moon had set. I plopped in my extension tube with my Orion Ultrablock filter and put in the 38mm SWA. Both parts of The Veil were pretty darn bright! I was really enjoying going back and forth on both the Eastern & Western parts of The Veil using the 38mm SWA, and then I had a brain storm!

I wondered what it would look like using my 14mm ES 100° eyepiece on each part, along with my 2" Ultrablock filter.
I first tried it on NGC-6992,(Eastern Half). Contrast was higher and I could slowly pan over it and see everything.

I then tried the same configuration, (14mm ES 100° @ 86x / 1.16°), on NGC-6960,(Western half). I was very dark adapted by that time, and I avoided the moon ALL NIGHT up until that moment and I am glad I did. It was an incredible experience I will never forget. I have never seen this part so bright in my entire life. Using averted vision made it look even brighter. I kept on looking and going away from the eyepiece and I was yelling "oh my god, oh my god"....I think my observing buddies must have thought I was crazy,

I just wanted to share what I had saw that night.

PS: A little story is attached to my Orion Ultrablock filter: I traded it and a Baader O-III for a DGM optics / Omega O-III filter and traded it back. The person I traded with said he tested my 2" Orion Ultrablock with a cheap Spectrometer and he swore up and down that my Orion Ultrablock is really an O-III filter. I have gone back and forth on The Veil using my Orion Ultrablock and a friend's DGM / Omega O-III and the views are almost the same.

WEIRD.

Cheers and clear skies to all!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fuzzyguy
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5931977 - 06/20/13 08:22 PM

Nice report Markus. I first saw the Western Veil last summer with an OIII. I was nicely surprised at how bright it was after I became dark adapted. I found it by centering on 52 Cyg then panning north and south to follow the nebula with a 40mm. I can't wait to try the 24mm ES68. For some reason, I didn't check out the Eastern portion, but I'll find it next time I'm out. It's well placed for me just after midnight local and later, so I'll start looking around the 1st quarter moon.

Thanks for the report!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5932464 - 06/21/13 02:20 AM

Markus wrote:

Quote:

PS: A little story is attached to my Orion Ultrablock filter: I traded it and a Baader O-III for a DGM optics / Omega O-III filter and traded it back. The person I traded with said he tested my 2" Orion Ultrablock with a cheap Spectrometer and he swore up and down that my Orion Ultrablock is really an O-III filter. I have gone back and forth on The Veil using my Orion Ultrablock and a friend's DGM / Omega O-III and the views are almost the same.

It must be a pretty broad OIII if it is comparable to the Ultrablock. The Ultrablock lets through the H-Beta line at better than 89% transmission, which a true narrower OIII does not. Try a Lumicon OIII sometime. It has about half the bandwidth of the Ultrablock and provides a significant gain in contrast over most narrow-band nebula filters. Clear skies to you.

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5932531 - 06/21/13 05:45 AM

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Veil is one of my favorites amoung many others. I picked up a Lumicon OIII filter last week, oh boy! I know you can see it with a ultra block, but wow Lumicon OIII really brought it out.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5932541 - 06/21/13 06:04 AM

Quote:

It must be a pretty broad OIII if it is comparable to the Ultrablock. The Ultrablock lets through the H-Beta line at better than 89% transmission, which a true narrower OIII does not. Try a Lumicon OIII sometime. It has about half the bandwidth of the Ultrablock and provides a significant gain in contrast over most narrow-band nebula filters. Clear skies to you.

--------------------
David W. Knisely

Hi David,

I had thought the exact same thing! I think a good observing friend of mine,(JunoMike), has the Lumicon O-III. I'll give that one a try up against my Orion Ultrablock.

Cheers,

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5933223 - 06/21/13 03:50 PM

You wrote about this in the eyepiece forum and I replied there, but didn't get a re-reply, so I don't know if you've seen my post, so I repost my response here:

I have seen the whole Veil Nebula (piecemeal, of course) in a 30" f/5 dob with a 17mm Ethos and O-III filter. The detail was immense and about the same as seen in the photo in your post[in the thread in the eyepiece forum], sans color. Some of the filaments were almost as thin as hair, blowing in the cosmic wind. Pickering's Triangular Wisp showed immense detail and could be followed for many eyepiece fields, until it tapered into a long, thin filament, that just faded into nothing.

It was way better than any photo I've seen.

This is the level of detail I saw in Pickering's Triangular Wisp: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveh56/6058047948/ Seriously.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5933956 - 06/22/13 12:06 AM

that must of been a nice treat with a 30" wow! I was happy with my view using my 8" f5.9 dob. Lumicon OIII is my first neb filter, so I was in a wow state.. lol I been using it a lot. can't wait to try it next week when the moon comes up much later. I still have not picked up the other filter yet.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5934039 - 06/22/13 01:57 AM

The O-III is my favorite. When you get a chance, try it on the Omega and Crescent nebs. (You may have already.)

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: NGC-6960 (Western Veil Nebula) new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5934041 - 06/22/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

You wrote about this in the eyepiece forum and I replied there, but didn't get a re-reply, so I don't know if you've seen my post, so I repost my response here:

I have seen the whole Veil Nebula (piecemeal, of course) in a 30" f/5 dob with a 17mm Ethos and O-III filter. The detail was immense and about the same as seen in the photo in your post[in the thread in the eyepiece forum], sans color. Some of the filaments were almost as thin as hair, blowing in the cosmic wind. Pickering's Triangular Wisp showed immense detail and could be followed for many eyepiece fields, until it tapered into a long, thin filament, that just faded into nothing.

It was way better than any photo I've seen.

This is the level of detail I saw in Pickering's Triangular Wisp: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveh56/6058047948/ Seriously.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

That's AWESOME Thomas !!!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5934042 - 06/22/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

The O-III is my favorite. When you get a chance, try it on the Omega and Crescent nebs. (You may have already.)

Oh for sure!!! I have seen both with an O-III and the views were stunning! It's been a very long time since I have seen the Crescent Nebula!

Cheers,

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 699
Calendar Event: 06/20/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC