Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Eudson

Reged: 06/24/13

Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for
      #5945664 - 06/28/13 09:48 PM

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: Eudson]
      #5945674 - 06/28/13 09:55 PM

Some will say yes, some will say no. I guess the real question is why do you want to change? Because you want a shiny new telescope? The optical coatings have improved since then, some people say it amounts to a 10-15% improvement in contrast. Your mirrors are probably getting old(er) and may need a re-coat. Do they look bad or have mold issues?

If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it unless you're itching for a bigger scope or want something like Autostar (you could get that by just upgrading to an EQ mount too).

I had an older 10" SCT f/6.3 for awhile and loved it. I wish I hadn't sold it to be honest. I recently purchased a 12" LX200 classic that works great.

Clear skies

Eudson

Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: Raginar]
      #5945783 - 06/28/13 11:05 PM

it is an 8-inch f/10, was sold in epoch without tripe, I miss a motorized mentagem with goto, and now would like to have a 10 inch. If there was an improvement in the optical quality of the Meade, I think it will be worth

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5945844 - 06/29/13 12:50 AM

A new one is gonna be... new so optically it should be better. I guess if you want a bigger scope... just get one!

The other options that can make a difference is the EDGE/ACF scopes. ACF is meade's 'flat field' scopes that supposed require little/no correction. That would make a significant improvement in your observing.

steveward53
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/14/12

Loc: Newmarket,UK
Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: Raginar]
      #5945887 - 06/29/13 01:31 AM

The way things are with Meade at the moment I'd be avoiding buying anything with that badge on it .

Your brand loyalty will count for nothing if or when a problem arises and there is no-one there to honour a guarantee ( Q.C. issues of late are the main reason they are in the you know what I'm told)

Would recommend a C11.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5946173 - 06/29/13 09:12 AM

Quote:

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

The newer--1990s and later--Meades are better. The coatings are better, and, quite often, the optics are better, too.

Eudson

Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: rmollise]
      #5946461 - 06/29/13 12:05 PM

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5946466 - 06/29/13 12:07 PM

Quote:

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

Stay away from the LX80. As a matter of fact, until Meade's troubles are sorted out, I would be cautious about buying ANY new Meade scope. Hate to say that, but there it is.

Eudson

#5946516 - 06/29/13 12:41 PM

I also thought about it but a C11 is still expensive for me, will be the quality of meade'll be compromised? if I have any probema both the celestron or meade to not have to send back for technical assistance unless I regress the opening and buy a celestron edgeHD 8 inches, but I want an opening above 8 inches.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5946705 - 06/29/13 02:48 PM

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5950514 - 07/01/13 10:54 PM

Try and find a used Meade 10in SCT. You can get the OTA and mount it to a Celestron goto mount. There isn't much to break in an OTA... of either brand Meade or Celestron.

Eudson

Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5951967 - 07/02/13 07:42 PM

Sounds like a good choice, it is a pity that the LX80 is presenting many problems, but thank you all for the help

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5952057 - 07/02/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!
If I could afford one I'd buy it in a second!

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: orion61]
      #5952167 - 07/02/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

Yup! me too! Cept I'd get the 14" 850
Unk has a point though, the future of the company is kinda up in the air right now. There could be a risk if you need a warranty issue resolved.

Eudson

#5952252 - 07/02/13 11:01 PM

If I lived in the U.S. I would buy the LX80, for him to report problems I send for repair, but as I live in Brazil is much more difficult

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for new [Re: orion61]
      #5952719 - 07/03/13 08:58 AM

Quote:

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!

Negative. At this stage of the game, a few more or a few less sales will have no effect on Meade's fate. I am sorry to say that, but that is the way it is. That is the place they are in now.

MY responsibilities, my prime responsibilities as I see 'em are to my fellow amateurs. I cannot and will not sit by while some one gets themselves into trouble equipment-wise to the tune of substantial $$$.

Meade is not Ford or Chevy, my friend. Neither of them were facing a buy out or a breakup. Meade is, and that is the difference. Sorry.

Besides, as I've said before, much as we love CN, it is only known to a small percentage of Meade's customers, anyway.

magnus
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/04

Loc: Visby, Sweden
      #5953382 - 07/03/13 04:07 PM

Very true, uncle Rod, you can`t ( or anyone else for that matter ) take responsability for anything else than honest scope advices to fellow amateurs!

Magnus 57N.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 712
Calendar Event: 06/28/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC