Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
DonH

Reged: 09/22/09

Loc: Houston, Tx.
DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100
      #5956623 - 07/05/13 07:33 PM

Is anyone using a D7100 for imaging??? I have had my eye on one of these but cannot find any write-up on using a intervalometer. It appears to me that the internal one will not permit a long exposure (longer than 30 sec.).
Can anyone who has one comment on this.
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: DonH]
      #5956671 - 07/05/13 08:05 PM

Hi Don,

I have a D7100...LOVE IT! but have not had a chance to use it for AP, yet..

It takes the usual timer/intervalometer for the D7000/5100/3100/etc: "Accessory Terminal: Remote Cord: MC-DC2"
It also accepts: "WR-1 and WR-R10 wireless remote controller" though I am not sure that it will go above 30" with the wireless controllers...

I KNOW the intervalometer works with >30" exposures..

Also, I have heard that Sequence Generator , also Tether-Pro which can be used in combination with DSLR-Shutter *FREEware!* is great for Nikons, and I believe the D7100 is compatible as well..
But you will need the DS-USB(USB device) along with the DSCBL-15 (connection terminal with the Nikon MC-DC2 plug, you may also need an extension cable as well, like the DSCBL-04 (10 foot) ext.) from ShoeString Astronomy for shutter control, as well as USB cable connection directly to the camera..
It is a bit of a pain, but from what I hear, it works..
I have yet to test any of these with the D7100 yet though, so hopefully more will chime in (TimN and a few others here would know more/better than I!)

Also, BackYardNIK is in the works, which is what I am waiting for...if it is anything like BackYardEOS it will be a massive hit.

The only thing that "worries" me with the D7100 is the VERY small pixels.. ~3.91microns..
SNR is not the greatest on this model..imho..

Good luck!

DonH

Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5956713 - 07/05/13 08:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting thoughts on SNR, would have thought that more pixels on the object would increase SNR as well as definition.
Hope someone replys that has used thid camera for AP.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #5956722 - 07/05/13 08:53 PM

I have had my eye on one of these but cannot find any write-up on using a intervalometer.

For long exposure AP, you will need an intervalometer. There are several brand that work, I use a Vello Wireless Shutterboss, they also have wired versions and are good quality units.

Imho,

Paul

nofxrx

#5956877 - 07/05/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting thoughts on SNR, would have thought that more pixels on the object would increase SNR as well as definition.
Hope someone replys that has used thid camera for AP.

It is my understanding that the smaller the pixel means less signal in your images(means more noise and lower SNR)..so, higher pixel count is NOT always "great" thing..or better than say 16Mp..
I would rather have the sensor of the D7000 in the D7100's body and features..
Unless you are printing massive(like billboard size in the case of the D800! and half that for the D7100), there is very little reason to go over 10-15Mp...
Bigger pixels will always mean better SNR, IMHO..or at the very least, 'easier to deal with' noise. or/also details that are 'just there' and easier to coax from the darkness VS tons of noise that gets brought up with the details...
IMO there is a massive difference when shooting with something with 6-7micron pixels vs 4microns... I would take 6um any day of the week..(if I could have my cake and eat it to

Camera companies are very intent on selling us on MORE pixels=better cameras...this is VERY far from the truth..
But what better marketing (scam) can they dream up? "Why have 'only' 15Mp when you can have 48Mp?!" Seriously Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc??

Again, all IMHO..

That is just me and my 2's though..YMMV

You may be wonder why the heck did I buy the D7100 then if I feel this way...and rightfully so.
Easy.
The video quality/features.(along with the D5200, which I may get just for video and sell the D7100 to go back to the D7000, or wait for the D400! )
This camera is JUST under the 5D Mark III in video quality; which is just under the Panny GH3, and the best of the best, the RED ONE or RED EPIC (which are BRILLIANT! but SUPER high $$$$$!!)...

I am thinking of selling everything and getting a Panny GH3 and GX1 combo...no more fussing with multiple setups and gear, just one system...and the GH3 is mind blowing in the video dept..

Sorry...I tend to ramble

If it wasnt for the better features and video performance/options, I would have never gone with the D7100 for the very reason that to ME 24Mp is just WAY overkill..

But, I love the images from it. Love the ability to heavily crop, too...even though the D700 and D3 have MUCH lower rez and much larger pixels I could crop them just as much!
But the noise in high ISO (6400 is useless mostly, imho) is not great..Canon wins there. easily.
But in LOW ISO performance, Nikon continues to blow away everything else. So for studio and landscapes, people, etc photography, Nikon has everything...but for AP and low light situations, I will stick with my Sony NEX F3 and Canon T3i for now..

Doing it again..sorry lol

Cheers!

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5957441 - 07/06/13 12:13 PM

I think you have to separate the D7100 discussion as it relates to AP into 2 parts. Software control and image quality.

I confirm Brents comments on Software Control. The free DSLR Shutter allows image control for as long as you would want. Tetherpro allows remote control of the camera, liveview, help with focusing and a histogram. Of course, Sequence Generator Pro also now works with Nikon. As Brent said BackyardNik is coming out later this year. Also, the cables Brent mentioned are required for shutter control. However, I have been told the D7200/D5200 does not require the extra cable. I have been unable to verify this and if there is a D7200/D5200 user out there could they please confirm? I believe the above applies to all Nikon cameras - except the D3000 line.

The second issue is image quality. Certainly, there are many things that make this up. Canon - I'm no expert - appears to have been developing a similar sensor in increments over the years. Nikon, on the other hand, have recently changed sensor manufacturers and software significantly. Also, they have changed from a Sony sensor in the D7000/D5100 to a Toshiba sensor in the D5200. I'm not sure about the D7100. I have done a lot of research on the D7000/D5100 but I'm not sure how much of that is valid for the D7100 or the D5200 line.

I think this is one of the problems when Canon users talk about Nikons. They often repeat problems that are no longer valid and fail to realize the different Nikon releases can be huge - especially for AP. So, they miss some great values.

Bottom line - we need some tests for the newer Nikons but software control is not an issue,

Edited by TimN (07/06/13 12:19 PM)

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: TimN]
      #5957705 - 07/06/13 03:01 PM

I've been following some of these DSLR threads about Nikons and was wondering if they allow the storage of RAW images. They used to process any image before storage which resulted in, if I recall correctly, "star holes".

DonH

Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5957887 - 07/06/13 05:10 PM

Tim,
I agree with you on the ever changing Nikon sensors, and I also agree we need some 7000 and some 7100 users to present their thoughts on image quality.
I have also solve my problems with camera control...

Don

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5958045 - 07/06/13 07:01 PM

Rodger,

There was a disadvantage that old Nikon used a version of Hot Pixel Suppression (HPS) algorithm which has the effect of "removing the stars", a.k.a. star eater. AP guys used "mode 3" hack to defeat such HPS being applied.
It's an ancient history. Time moves on quickly.

However, the subject is significantly reduced in recent years that (1) N starts only to use CMOS image sensors in its DSLRs, and (2) later generations of Expeed Image Processing DSPs become more powerful.
A new HPS algorithm is used such that standalone hot pixels (or stars) will no longer be (easily) eaten.

Please review earlier CN discussions on D5100/D7000. There are still processing applied (just like all DSLR mfgs). I.e., RAW is not sensor raw.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

nofxrx

Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5958055 - 07/06/13 07:10 PM

The D7100 uses the same Toshiba sensor as the D5200...
Weirdly though, the same 24Mp-like D3200 does NOT use the Toshiba....which means (it MAY) use the Sony 24Mp sensor, or from some other manufacturer..not sure..

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5958084 - 07/06/13 07:29 PM

D3200's 24.2 Mpxl CMOS image sensor is using a Nikon's own design. Part number:
"Nikon NC81369R"

This might have been Renesas fab.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

nofxrx

#5958102 - 07/06/13 07:44 PM

Ahhh...thanks ccs!
Wasnt aware that Nikon actually made many sensors..?

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5958181 - 07/06/13 09:24 PM

N does not have any fab.
Some N DSLRs use its own design and external fab (rumored to be Renesas), e.g., D2H, D2Hs, D3, etc.
More mass produced DSLRs (most of them) use SONY.
Early are SONY CCDs and later SONY Exmor CMOS.
Then recently add Toshiba/IBM J.V. into the picture.

Also see this old CN post.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

DonH

#5958186 - 07/06/13 09:32 PM

Thanks guys, I was going to upgrade my D300, but will wait a few months now before I do it.

nofxrx

#5958422 - 07/07/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys, I was going to upgrade my D300, but will wait a few months now before I do it.

Yea, I am eagerly waiting for the D400...though it seems it may never arrive..but we will see nearer to the end of this year..hopefully..

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
      #5958453 - 07/07/13 04:20 AM

You know this talk about very-tiny pixels makes me wonder - ideal Hyperstar configuration camera? High spacial resolution + fast optics! Of course smaller pixels make for even MORE critical focus and collimation perfection on a hyperstar rig....

nofxrx

Re: DSLR Imaging with a Nikon D7100 new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5959626 - 07/07/13 09:18 PM

Yea, Sean! You're right...the D7100/5200, NEX 7, Sony SLT-A77, etc would all make brilliant HyperStar cameras..
And yes, focusing would be a royal PITA!

Planemo
sage

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Alabama Gulf Coast
      #6121299 - 10/06/13 08:59 PM

Anyone done any actual imaging with a D7100 yet? I have one ordered for doing regular DSLR work but might try it for some AP just for fun, my old D40 took some pretty good pics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1218
Calendar Event: 07/05/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC