Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
taki53

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: NY
Black spots on my mirror
      #6120785 - 10/06/13 03:19 PM

I recently noticed some black spots on the 10 inch mirror of my orion intell. scope. I'm not sure what it is. Should I have it removed? How can I do this? The scope is around 6 yrs. old. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Black spots on my mirror new [Re: taki53]
      #6121304 - 10/06/13 09:02 PM

Remove the mirror cell and look if you can't tell from the front end and/or send a picture. They could be anything-pine sap, spider droppings. Insect bodies and feces should definitely be removed. Don't do anything hasty with the removal before having a plan on how to do it. There are many thoughts on mirror cleaning. Here's one

http://www.loptics.com/articles/mirrorcare/mirrorcare.html

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #6121435 - 10/06/13 10:38 PM

Mine had black spots and I took the mirror out and cleaned it. Turns out they were pin holes. Not good!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Black spots on my mirror new [Re: Locoman]
      #6122987 - 10/07/13 04:40 PM

A picture of these black spots would be helpful.

My mirror has a small spot were the coating is coming off. This, and many pinholes which are typical to most mirrors will not affect the performance to any noticeable degree.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6123238 - 10/07/13 05:52 PM

Quote:

I recently noticed some black spots on the 10 inch mirror of my Orion intell. scope. I'm not sure what it is. Should I have it removed? How can I do this? The scope is around 6 yrs. old. Thanks.

Step 1. Clean the mirror. If you've never cleaned the mirror, it's probably dirt, but it could be mold or oxidation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8xFnXFVGQ
Step 2. If the black spots didn't come off: recoat the optics: OMI or Galaxy, or Nova, or........
Or just let them be (after cleaning) and ignore them unless they grow. If they grow, then Step 2 for sure.

Mirror coatings last from one year to 20 depending on the conditions. If you live near an ocean and never clean your mirror, and store your telescope in a garage near solvents and paints, then possibly 1-2 years. If you store the scope indoors, don't use it a lot, are meticulous about cleaning the mirrors, and live nowhere near an ocean, then 10-20 years. It just depends.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Black spots on my mirror new [Re: Starman1]
      #6124712 - 10/08/13 11:42 AM

Happened to me, coating had pin holes,DA.

sqrlman

Reged: 01/02/08

#6126914 - 10/09/13 12:40 PM

When the coating has flaked off of the mirror those areas will look dark when looking at the face of the mirror.
Look through the back of the mirror while the mirror is aimed at the daytime sky or a lamp. If you see the light shining through the spots then the coating is missing in those areas. If you can't see light passing through the mirror then the dark spots are on the coating. It could be mold. Try cleaning the spots with 91% alcohol and a Q-tip.

Steve

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 632
Calendar Event: 10/06/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC