Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
unger61

Reged: 10/05/13

Settings for the Orion AllSky Camera II
      #6156472 - 10/24/13 10:12 PM

I recently acquired the Orion AllSky Cam 2 and it is finally set up in my backyard. The sky is moderately light polluted here. After having spent hours to get the focus as good as possible I have spent a while playing with the different settings of the camera via the AllSky cam interface.
I am a bit disappointed in the image quality of the unit but I believe I can improve the quality a bit with the right settings. I was wondering if the are many users of this cam on CN? If yes could you share your cam settings for the meteor capture with me?

Cheers

Clem

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Settings for the Orion AllSky Camera II new [Re: unger61]
      #6158177 - 10/25/13 08:53 PM

I have no clue about the orion all sky unit, but, I can offer an example of what you could consider the 'finish line' in trying to achieve good data from the camera. Keep in mind, youtube encoding does destroy the overall quality, but, this will give you some thoughts.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

I ran 15 second exposures all night with our unit (Starlight Xpress Oculus), which produced a huge stack of fits frames. I set up a script to use imagemagik convert to turn them all into jpegs, with automatic stretching etc. Once that was done, fed them all into mencoder to produce the movie.

A few airplanes, lots of satellites, and some meteors thru the night. It took me a couple days of fiddling before I had things working the way I wanted, but now we are really happy with the results coming out of it.

Next part of the project, writing some programs to detect meteor and satellite trails, in an automated way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 118
Calendar Event: 10/24/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC