Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX
      #6262487 - 12/19/13 07:10 PM

I have a question regarding these two eyepieces.

These two are very similar in quality as I have read online here. One is a 7mm, (The Celestron), while the Meade is a 6.5mm.

Are they really those focal lengths? Or are they different like it says on the sides of their barrels?

Which one is the better of the two? I was thinking on picking up a 7mm or 6.5mm eyepiece that I would use sometimes and I might get one of these instead of spending anywhere between $175.00-$250.00 for a used Pentax XL or Pentax XW, or even more on a new 6mm Delos.

With that in mind, I would still have money left over for more astro goodies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6262492 - 12/19/13 07:12 PM

That's a good one, Mark!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6262502 - 12/19/13 07:19 PM

Replies from someone who has used both eyepieces, or someone in the "know". I just want to know if these two eyepieces are one and the same with a different housing...or are they really two different FL eyepieces?

Chuck, You have far too much time on your hands.

Cheers,

Udderly Abducted

Reged: 11/16/13

Loc: Oklahoma
      #6262580 - 12/19/13 08:10 PM

Wow, this is the exact thread I need right now. I have been trying to decide if I should get a Pentax or one of these. My research shows that the HD-60 6.5mm and the X-Cel LX 7mm are probably the same focal length. Hopefully someone can help us!

precaud
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: Udderly Abducted]
      #6262616 - 12/19/13 08:38 PM

I found the 7mm Xcel LX underwhelming. In particular, contrast was poor, to the point that I thought maybe the inside surface of a one of the lenses was fogged... took it apart, didn't see a problem... and then dropped the eye lens, putting a divot right in the center of the FOV.

The last time I will ever disassemble an eyepiece.

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: precaud]
      #6262641 - 12/19/13 08:56 PM

Markus,

When are buying both? And then selling both?

Just Kidding. I only own the Meade HD and they are very good, but I don't own the 6.5 (only the 12, 18 and 24 and only for binoviewing). I believe the X-cel are the same eyepieces. When you buy both let us know

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #6262736 - 12/19/13 10:06 PM

Markus,

Most people that are buying in this price range do so because of just that, price. Hence they don't have the money to buy and try both, or if they did would just buy a XL/XW and be done with it.

There's new ground here to be broken - If you bought Both, you would be the First to have done so, and would be the only man here on CN to have done an A-B with them.

Please do think about it - Selling the loser is a normal thing for you, so no big deal, right?

You would make us all so proud!

I know that I would be

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #6262750 - 12/19/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Markus,

skypilgrim
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: PNW, US
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: Udderly Abducted]
      #6262787 - 12/19/13 11:05 PM

I have three of the Xcel LXs but alas, not the 7mm. What I can say is the three I do own (18mm, 12mm & 9mm) are almost identical in their high quality. I'd actually be surprised if the 7mm didn't also delight. I've heard good things about that particular Meade so it seems you can't lose no matter which way you go.
Best of luck and report back when you pick one up.
Sam

EuropaWill
sage

Reged: 02/12/09

#6262828 - 12/19/13 11:47 PM

I suspect there is way too much "fudging" of actual FL's for eyepieces by manufacturers. I have a "9mm" GSO plossl that is probably really a 9.7mm, and my Vixen "8mm" Plossl is probably really 7.5mm. Of course I learned this by trial and error and comparing with other EP's for image scale.

While some may think this shouldn't be a big deal, it is when you are looking for incremental differences in magnifications. I'm also curious to learn if Meade or Celestron is playing games with the FL's again and if that is the case, which is actually the accurate one this time.

EuropaWill
sage

#6262833 - 12/19/13 11:50 PM

Oh and yeah....

The 8mm Paradigm: Is it really 8mm? Or closer to 9mm or 7mm? Very curious about this.

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: EuropaWill]
      #6262886 - 12/20/13 12:21 AM

The 8mm Paradigm,

No reason why it shouldn't be 8mm.

The Celestron X-CEL LX and the Meade HD-60 lines are commonly believed to be the very same eyepiece in different clothes, whereas the Paradigm is considered to be a slightly different optical design.

All of this as far as I know thus far is just speculation, as we are currently waiting for our very own Markus, to Buy All Three and take them all apart for a Look-See.

precaud
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6262923 - 12/20/13 01:01 AM

I can tell you an N7T1 completely crushes the LX 7mm in every way. That comparison is what made me sell errr destroy mine.

I think Markus should get an LX 7mm, Paradigm 8mm, Olivon 58 7mm (or equivalent), and maybe a 7.5mm TV plossl for reference, and do an in-depth comparo!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: precaud]
      #6262934 - 12/20/13 01:18 AM

Drop them both from a high tower. Whichever hits the ground first is the winner!

My 7mm is still in my possession barring any change.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: herrointment]
      #6262980 - 12/20/13 02:35 AM

Quote:

Markus,

Quote:

All of this as far as I know thus far is just speculation, as we are currently waiting for our very own Markus, to Buy All Three and take them all apart for a Look-See.

I don't take apart my eyepieces for a look-see. I took one apart because it was ugly as sin, (The 17mm Ultima LX). I have NEVER taken an eyepiece apart to see how the lenses are, with the inevitable "tinkling" of glass on the ground.

Anyways, thanks for all of your replies, they have been somewhat useful. The main focus of this thread was to find out if the 7mm X-Cel LX was one and the same as the 6.5mm Meade HD-60.

Quote:

The 8mm Paradigm,

No reason why it shouldn't be 8mm.

Simply because not ALL focal lengths of certain eyepieces are what is marked on the barrel. I just read an extensive review where the person reviewing the eyepieces said that the 7mm UWAN was really an 8mm UWAN, when it was measured.

See Here and scroll down to the review of the 7mm UWAN which was measured at 8mm.

http://translate.google.com/

Quote:

Markus,

Most people that are buying in this price range do so because of just that, price. Hence they don't have the money to buy and try both, or if they did would just buy a XL/XW and be done with it.

There's new ground here to be broken - If you bought Both, you would be the First to have done so, and would be the only man here on CN to have done an A-B with them.

Please do think about it - Selling the loser is a normal thing for you, so no big deal, right?

You would make us all so proud!

I know that I would be.

Don't think so.

EuropaWill
sage

#6263285 - 12/20/13 09:40 AM

I personally have seen noticeable differences on image scale with countless eyepieces claiming to be one FL and actually being another. The Sterling 25mm Plossl is another that doesn't seem like an accurate FL. I'm more inclined to believe its a 24mm rather than 25mm. The Meade QX26 was a lot more like a 28-29mm.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: EuropaWill]
      #6263300 - 12/20/13 09:50 AM

Paging Marcus....you have a call from the Pentax Buddah on line 3........

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6263437 - 12/20/13 10:40 AM

1) We know Meade and Celestron source some of their optics from the same Chinese company. That increases the odds the eyepieces are the same but with different housings, but it doesn't prove it.
2) We know the 6 element AT Paradigm (also sold under several other labels) comes from a different company in China. This implies the Paradigm is a different eyepiece. Reviews also point to differences in the internal design. All the re-brands appear the same, so this one may not be available with other externals.
3) There is even another design, from another company, with 5 elements, that has the same market niche: 58-60 degrees, 1.25", $50-$80 range and is available under several labels.

skypilgrim
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: PNW, US
Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX new [Re: Starman1]
      #6263818 - 12/20/13 02:09 PM

I did do a side-by-side of the 8mm Paradigm and the 9mm Xcel LX and can confirm they are not the same fl. But that's as far as I can tell, not what the true fl should be for either.

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade 6.5mm HD-60 and the 7mm X-Cel LX [Re: skypilgrim]
      #6263825 - 12/20/13 02:11 PM

What about the view? - Which one was the 'best' and why?

Thanks,

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 592
Calendar Event: 12/19/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC