Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length
      #6283210 - 12/31/13 11:08 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Name your favorite focal length eyepiece! This is the ONE you use the most! This is the one you spend 90% of your time using!

No barlows allowed! No other eyepieces allowed! Pics and eye candy are a BONUS, so we can all DROOL on the eyepiece you picked.

Name that ONE eyepiece that you use the most and explain WHY you use that particular power the most, with the ONE scope you mostly use it in, FL and diameter / type of the scope, power and field of the eyepiece!

I will start off with ONE of my old faves for now, until I get more used to my new lineup...Then things WILL change! (I might be getting a second Delos or a 5mm Pentax XW!...Then I will be done) !!!! (Yeaaa rrrrrright) LOL !!!

7mm Pentax XW. Scope: 10" reflector. FL of scope: 1200mm.

Power and field of eyepiece: 171x / 24.5'

Reason I like this one: I really like to use medium / high powers a lot on many globulars, planets, and planetary nebulae. The 7mm XW gives hours of comfortable viewing without any eye strain, squinting, and it isn't too heavy for the scope I use it in. Eye relief is really nice! I can keep the eye cup all of the way DOWN and eye placement is still really nice! Clarity and sharpness across the entire field in my scope w/o a paracorr is excellent and even though the AFOV is only 70 degrees, it still feels IMMERSIVE! Planetary views in he XW's are superb!

Your turn !!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dyslexic nam
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: PEI, Canada
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6283224 - 12/31/13 11:13 AM

Don't have it anymore, but my fav to date has been my 5mm XW. Used in my 8" dob (fl 1200mm) for 240x - best consistent planetary views.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6283312 - 12/31/13 11:53 AM

ES68 24mm. This eyepiece has more hours on it than all of my other focal lengths combined. It gets used so much, I don't even keep it in an eyepiece case. It lives in the diagonal of my ST-80, where I grab it as needed with my other scopes.

yashi

Reged: 11/15/11

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6283322 - 12/31/13 11:56 AM

easily my 17.3 delos @1500focal length

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: yashi]
      #6283330 - 12/31/13 11:59 AM

You said NO barlows...nothing about ZOOMS! My Leica 7-22 Zoom is used in every scope I own. LOVE IT! If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.
To comply with the spirit of your post...I don't have a single favorite focal length...my zooms truly are used the most.

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: t.r.]
      #6283357 - 12/31/13 12:16 PM

Well, since the topic is " What Focal Length", and since all of my scopes are F/8 and above (except for my ST-80) and since I'm really Old, I'm going to say 1".

Used to have the Complete Edmund set of Ramsdens of 1", 1/2" and 1/4", all in 1 1/4" barrels!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ramsden

Told you I was Old:-)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6283369 - 12/31/13 12:23 PM

17mm is a sweet spot in both my NP101 and my 12" reflector, though obviously it's a different sweet spot in each case. 13mm would be a close second for both scopes. The proof in the pudding is that my EP collection includes two different EPs in both of the aforenamed focal-lengths.

Edited by FirstSight (12/31/13 12:27 PM)

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: t.r.]
      #6283417 - 12/31/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

You said NO barlows...nothing about ZOOMS! My Leica 7-22 Zoom is used in every scope I own. LOVE IT! If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.
TO comly with the spirit of your post...I don't have a single favorite focal length...my zooms truly are used the most.

+1, although mine's the ASPH 17.8-8.9 It's nice to hit the right magnification to suit the object and/or seeing without ever removing the eyepiece from the focuser.

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #6283500 - 12/31/13 01:30 PM

For me it's a three way tie, Nag 3-6mm zoom, Pentax 7mm XL, 10mm Delos. In my 92mm refractor at 506mm F/L thats 50X, 72X, and 84-168X. I just can't say I use one more then the other, sorry. If anything seeing usually will determine which one gets the most time in the focuser.

I plan on getting the whole Delos line, got three now, IMO it's the best do it all eyepiece I have ever used, I like them better then the Pentax XL's but just barely, the Pentax XL's showing just a slightly warmer image IMO.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
      #6283530 - 12/31/13 01:45 PM

13mm Ethos.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6283538 - 12/31/13 01:52 PM

Ethos 13, Panoptic 24, ES30 all spend the most time in my focuser.

EuropaWill
sage

Reged: 02/12/09

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #6283690 - 12/31/13 02:57 PM

This is difficult to answer since I always swap out EP's when looking at an object... and also because it depends on which scope I'm using. In the C11, my QX36 or UWA 24mm seem to get the most use, in the AT106LE probably the UWA 24mm or ES68 20mm, and in the C90 the UWA 14mm.

When I'm binoviewing though, the preferred EP is very different in each scope and it depends on the object...but again if I had to pick: In the C11, the Sterling 25's and 20's, In the AT106LE its the Sterling 25's and LER 12.5mm's.

I realize my answer doesn't comply to the OP's question!

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: EuropaWill]
      #6283702 - 12/31/13 03:04 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Well now that I've used it a few times, it quickly has become my most used eyepiece, then big ES30mm 82* in my 12.5" Newt. Gives 63x and a 1.29* TFOV and its as sharp as ever. It's gotta be one of my favorites now!

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6283715 - 12/31/13 03:08 PM

I don't have a favorite FL. What I use depends upon the object. My most used magnifications give exit pupils of about 2.6mm, 1.4mm, and 1.0mm.

Dave

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6283800 - 12/31/13 03:40 PM

Currently a 10mm Ethos which gives me 182x, a 2.0mm exit pupil, and .56º true FOV. Many nights 182x is as high as I can go around these parts and usually I'm looking at small fuzzy stuff.

The other is a 17mm Ethos, yields 107x, 3.4mm exit pupil, and .93º true FOV.

The real reason I like the 10mm is because the math is easy, my telescopes 1820mm focal length divided by 10 = 182x.

These two are in the focuser most of the time. If the seeing is good I can go up to a little over 300x without using a barlow but this occurs about 5% of the time at most.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6283828 - 12/31/13 03:54 PM

I've had many scopes (23 at last count), and in every one of them, my favorite eyepiece had a 2-2.5mm exit pupil.
So the eyepiece varied from scope to scope, but the exit pupil was consistent.
Seems to be:
--best visually for my eye
--low enough power to keep away from seeing issues
--high enough power to show DSOs well.
Current scopes:
f/12.8 Mak--favorite eyepiece 32mm
f/5.4 refractor--favorite eyepiece 13mm
f/5.75 newtonian--favorite eyepiece 13mm

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6283845 - 12/31/13 04:06 PM

Interesting question.

My most used eyepiece would be one of my finders (35mm Panoptic or 27mm Panoptic). But that would not be my favorite. Rather, just a "necessary evil" of target acquisition or the occasional very large target.

My favorites vary based on telescope. I like my Brandons in my TV-102, FS-78 and 105/1500 achromat. The 8mm is my fave in the TV-102. The 24mm is my fave in the FS-78. I like the 32mm in the 105/1500.

In my SCTs I really enjoy the LVWs. The 22mm in the 9.25", the 17mm in the 8" and the 13mm in the 6".

In my f/5.1 16" Dob it's a toss-up between the 13mm Ethos and the 20mm Type 5.

It just depends, really.

- Jim

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: Starman1]
      #6284003 - 12/31/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

I've had many scopes (23 at last count), and in every one of them, my favorite eyepiece had a 2-2.5mm exit pupil.
So the eyepiece varied from scope to scope, but the exit pupil was consistent.
Seems to be:
--best visually for my eye
--low enough power to keep away from seeing issues
--high enough power to show DSOs well.
Current scopes:
f/12.8 Mak--favorite eyepiece 32mm
f/5.4 refractor--favorite eyepiece 13mm
f/5.75 newtonian--favorite eyepiece 13mm

Don, I concur with your interesting though not surprising observation that a near 2mm exit pupil provides some of the best overall views. I always liked my 13-14mm eyepieces best in my most used scopes (f/5.9 dobs and f/6.25 refractor). My rationale is the mostly the same: low power views, but not too low and enough power to show the brighter open clusters and showpiece objects that I routinely observe. The 13mm Ethos is the favorite but the XW 14 was kept on hand for use with eyeglasses when I felt like it. The 14 Delos is now in the lineup and primed to supplant the XW (showdown is in progress). I could see myself not having any lower power eyepieces than the 13 Ethos and 14 Delos and barlowing for higher powers, BUT being addicted to ocularhol, I don't know if I could ever make that courageous step!

However, Markus' first question was which is your most used focal length/eyepiece and up until now, I have to say it bas been the Pentax XW 20. Yes, FC, I know. But what other 20-24mm eyepiece has the eye relief, comfort, cool tone, transmission and small size (though not lightweight) that the XW 20 has? I would say none (Well, LVW 22 but it fell just short in the eye relief category for me). For the FC, I can focus the center, forget the edge and be happy. Or focus 3/4 of the way out, accomodate and be happy. Or stick in the ParaCorr (in dobs only of course) and be happy. Also, it barlows very well.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Eyepiece Survey: What's your favorite focal length new [Re: EuropaWill]
      #6284083 - 12/31/13 05:56 PM

Currently the onlt telescope I use is 17.5" f4.1 Discovery split tube Dob.
Currently 100 AFOV are my favorites and since I like viewing multiple objects at the same time I mostly use 20mm 100AFOV ES, followed by 10mm 100 AFOV Ethos.

Before 100 AFOV, I mostly used my Denk II Binoviewers with 3x3(=9 power option) powerswitches Newtonian OCS and 24mm panoptics.

Before I had my binoviewers my favorite eyepiece was 14mm 84 AFOV Meade 4000 UWA.

Before the 17.5" Dob, I had a 10.1"f4.5 Coultour Oddessey Dob and Meade 4000 UWA 14mm 84 AFOV was my favorite.

Before I got that eyepiece my first wide angle Orion 12mm 68AFOV Ultrascan WA was my favorite. Ironically now that is my public eyepiece for star parties, and I don't use it anytime else.

P.S. Haven't used the 10" Dob since Yellowstone NP trip, since the cheap initial focuser came out; and although I bought two 2" focusers to upgrade I am too lazy to install either one. Without this 10" scope I am often limited to taking binos on trips now.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6284090 - 12/31/13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Name your favorite focal length eyepiece! This is the ONE you use the most! This is the one you spend 90% of your time using!

In which scope?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1221
Calendar Event: 12/31/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC