- FIELD TEST OF THE BAADER MAXBRIGHT® II BINOVIEWER
- My Experience using SkyWatch for the Alphea All Sky Camera from Alcor Systems
- Astroart 7 - A Review and "How To" (Part 1)
- My experience using two 80-millimeter long-focus refractors
- GSO 8-inch TRUE CASSEGRAIN
- Celestron Regal 65ED M2
- Review: The Vixen FL55ss
- PrimaLuceLab Eagle Review
- interstellarum Deep Sky Guide Desk Edition
- Chronicling the Golden Age of Astronomy: A History of Visual Observing from...
- Omegon Mini Track LX2 Review
- Review of the APM 152 ED serial number 245
- THE BURGESS 24MM MODIFIED ERFLE & 10MM ULTRAMONO
- APM 140mm DOUBLET APO REFRACTOR
- Comparison of the Boltwood II and Sky Alert Cloud Sensors
CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.
Atlas/Skywatcher EQ-6 Replacement Saddle
Discuss this article in our forums
EQ-6 replacement saddle
The Atlas/Skywatcher EQ-6 is well known as a heavy duty mount on a budget. However, it comes standard with a saddle that only accepts the vixen style dovetail. It you wanted to mount the 3” wide losmandy type dovetail, you were forced to buy $100+ replacemnt saddles from ADM or others. I was just about convinced i would have to spend big money when i found that orion made a replacement saddle of their own for about 1/3 the price. It looked fine and the price was right, so i ordered it.
After it came i became convinced it was a good buy. As you can see it the pictures, it is much bigger than the standard saddle. Also, on the replacement the entire side is pressed agains the dovetail bar, not just two screws. This causes less marking on your dovetail. On the bad side, the machining, finish, and overall quality is not up to the standard of ADM. I have a side-by-side mounting bar and C8 dovetail from ADM and they both are impeccably made. They also may hold up better for larger loads with their more solid construction, but without testing i cannot be sure.
Overall, the EQ-6 replacement saddle does everything you need it to do for about $36, where the next cheapest is about 3x that. If you want to mount your losmandy type dovetails to your EQ-6 this is the cheapest solution, but if you are planning to mount a big load perhaps consider one of the more solid ones.