•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A&M 152mm f8 APO Refractor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

A&M 152mm f8 APO Refractor
By: Bob Berta

#2 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Bob! I still hope to get a peek though your scope sometime. Too bad we were clouded out for the Gaze.

T

#3 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Nice review and REALLY cool scope!

Timm

#4 mdine1us

mdine1us

Viking 1

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

Nice review, Mr. Berta. Thanks for the effort.Nice timing indeed. I read it with much interest, as I am waiting for my f7 SAPO version along with the A&M guidescope (the 80mm like Mr. Trusock reviewed) to be delivered!

I must admit that I am a little bummed that I won't have the only Orange trimmed one in the US! but that's quite alright, it sure looks beautiful flying on your AP mount!

regards,
Marty

#5 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:46 PM

Nice scope!

> as the temperature changes the cell compensates for the
> change in the glass keeping it at the null point

As I understand it, the temperature compensating cell merely seeks to safely contain the lens without pinching it as temperatures change. I believe Thomas told me my cell on my 175/8 at the time would make contact with the lens at -20F.

As lenses cool the outer elements will cool faster than the inner elements and I do not think a cell design could compensate to keep a lens nulled when the curves on the lenses are varying at different rates.

Mike

#6 reflector74

reflector74

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

"While it is very impressive for the planets and lunar observing...it is less so on dim objects. That brings me to another misconception...many feel that a top-level refractor can match a much bigger aperture reflector in performance on deep sky objects...."

Amen.

#7 reodds

reodds

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

Beautiful Scope Mr. Berta, and great review.

My question is that you mentioned that you made a 4" and 6" APO. Since the A&M is way out of my league financially, perhaps you can speak about your "homemade" scopes a bit, specifically did you make the optics or buy them, sources for materials, etc.

Thanks, and great job!

Roger

#8 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

"While it is very impressive for the planets and lunar observing...it is less so on dim objects. That brings me to another misconception...many feel that a top-level refractor can match a much bigger aperture reflector in performance on deep sky objects...."

Amen.

A very good review. Once again the phrase 'Aperture rules' comes to mind. On DSO's I can put my NS11 up against any 6" scope and it will outperform the refractor. Same could be said of Dobs,etc. But this scope (I had the chance to see at NEAF) is impressive enough to warrent a review and I am glad one came out. I myself made inquiries on the A&M 152. Price wise it's right up there with TAK, A/P, TMB but availability is much better. I have several options opened on my next scope and all comes down to wait time. This review certainly has narrowed that down.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics