•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4" Apochromatic Hyper Shootout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
422 replies to this topic

#226 Saptarshi

Saptarshi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

When are we expecting results and where, I saw this question many times but no answer, any idea?

Thanks
Shailesh

#227 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

When are we expecting results and where, I saw this question many times but no answer, any idea?

Thanks
Shailesh

Also unanswered is who or what is Korovski Enterprises?

Clear skies, Alan

#228 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Also unanswered is who or what is Korovski Enterprises?

Clear skies, Alan

Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes

#229 THESKY

THESKY

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

I think Daniel is planning to do more testing since day 2 is not that good of a seeing. We did learn something though.

#230 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

bad seeing = bad results?? :lol:

#231 mblack

mblack

Throw me a bone here

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

IMO, this 'shootout' will be a good read for no other reason than I'll never get the chance to see through so many quality refractors.

OTOH, it's a group of folks I don't know, whose opinions would have no effect on any decision I make regarding said refractors.

It will likely be the 'Passion of the Refractors'. Everyone will interpret the results through their own bias. And that will in turn be informative, won't it??

Have fun with it. I'm VERY grateful Daniel and his crew put in the time to give us, eventually, something to chew on during our Cloudy Nights :smirk:

(as an ex TV102 owner, I'll be especially interested in how it ranks in Daniels review... The TV102 is the scope that pushed me into the TEC140.)

(waiting list that is ;) zzzzzz)

#232 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

I think that many, if not most, of us have forgotten what Daniel clearly stated in the very first sentences in the very first post of this thread. To wit:

"Ridwan, June and myself spent the better portion of an evening testing these OTA's until about 2am on Saturn and star clusters. We conducted star tests, etc. I'm not here to post the results as they will be presented in a review for Korovski Enterprises, more on that later. I have a number of other 4" apos on the way to add to the batch. My goal is to help remove the stigma regarding chromatic abberation from the results of these tests. The differences were profound from our observing bed . . . ."

Explicitly stated here is the fact that this review is not intended to be posted on Cloudy Nights; also explicitly stated is the fact that the review was conducted to prove a point. Reader interest was stimulated by a remark to the effect that there were "profound differences" among a group of highly popular 4 inch refractors--hence twelve pages of discussion about a shootout review that was not intended for posting here.

And it still is not clear how or where the results will be revealed.

#233 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

Joad,

Excellent synopsis! I suggest you delete all the other posts except that one, while we wait for Daniel to post the link to the results...

#234 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, Joad!

Too bad I didn't read Daniel's first post. What a waste of time this thread was.

Rich

#235 jonnyastro

jonnyastro

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Joad,

Excellent synopsis! I suggest you delete all the other posts except that one, while we wait for Daniel to post the link to the results...

But please...not the "Lock It" song again! :lol: :shocked:

#236 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

Oh the drama.....

Test - no test
good location - bad location
early announcement - self promotion
secret motives - good intentions
join in - sit it out
commercial interest - quality information
lock the thread - unlock the thread
post results here - post somewhere else
TOS violation - TOS compliance

A small piece of life played out in one ever longer thread. While it is amazing, I just don't know what to do. There is, after all, a war in Iraq, major social questions about about balancing freedom and security, an approaching presidential election, the death of Nicole........oh forget all that - when do we get to read the stinking results of the 4" APO Hyper Shootout. My God - you have to have your priorities right! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

#237 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hi Mike,

At least the weather looks fine tonight and tomorrow night for observing... in the SF Bay Area. I'll be out with my refractor.

Rich

#238 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hi Rich.....I'm going to roll the roof off and do some testing (still waiting for the new camera) and celebrate our wonderful springlike weather - while I lift a glass of really fine Cab and toast the folks living through a really tough storm back East. I wish you all well - but this is one of the few times I'm really happy to live where I do. You can say "I told you so" after the next big quake. :tonofbricks:

#239 Pasquale

Pasquale

Encrypted

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

I wondered how long it would take before someone realized that Dan clearly stated in his opening remarks that he wasn't here to post the results; it was earmarked for someone else. Clever useage of "Korovski Enterprises" instead of WHTC to avoid setting off alarms, or possible conflict... I'm still waiting for "more on that later"... I also noted, as Joad stated above, that this really isn't a shootout among 4"er's per se; but rather an experiment to prove his hypothesis regarding chromatic abberation. That's fine, it would be interesting to read what he and others did, their results, and his final argument supporting his position concerrning the effects of chromatic abberation. However, posting an enticing, captive title as "4" Apochromatic Hyper Shootout" was premature, ill-conceived, and somewhat misleading. Now I doubt Dan was purpously malicious in his intent when he originally posted this thread; he was, however, placing the proverbial cart before the horse. I think his exhuberance for the task at hand overcame prudence in keeping it mum until the comparisons were completed. Regardless of why he took this experiment on, and for what entity's benefit; he should post applicable results here on Cloudy Nights to rectify the current sticky situation. If he chooses not to do so, well, that's an issue for the CN staff, if it's an issue at all... We're all guests here on this forum, and as guests we are reminded to act accordingly; whether our actions violate a TOS or not. That's my take, anyway

#240 Mike Holland

Mike Holland

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

I think that many, if not most, of us have forgotten what Daniel clearly stated in the very first sentences in the very first post of this thread. To wit:

"Ridwan, June and myself spent the better portion of an evening testing these OTA's until about 2am on Saturn and star clusters. We conducted star tests, etc. I'm not here to post the results as they will be presented in a review for Korovski Enterprises, more on that later. I have a number of other 4" apos on the way to add to the batch. My goal is to help remove the stigma regarding chromatic abberation from the results of these tests. The differences were profound from our observing bed . . . ."

Explicitly stated here is the fact that this review is not intended to be posted on Cloudy Nights ...

Your point is well taken, but as much as I found the string of ensuing posts rather amusing, I join the others in asking what the point was in posting an announcement here at all.

Mike

#241 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

Did I hear "whether they violate a TOS or not??"

:)

I'm sure you meant something like "of course in accordance with the TOS" :)

#242 Gaz O'C

Gaz O'C

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

Can someone (anyone) just PM me when the 'shootout' is actually finished? Please.

#243 Pasquale

Pasquale

Encrypted

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

Well of course, Dee.... Sometimes the brain and fingers don't always communicate what the spirit intends! Thanks for the interpretation!

#244 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

:)

#245 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

Consider this an official inquiry, Daniel. When and more importantly, where will this report be presented? There is some concern that we now have 10 pages of hype about a hyper shootout and that it won't even be presented on Cloudy Nights. This has been a big topic of discussion amongst the mods and admins, and frankly, we would like an answer.

Consider this an official response. I have no intentions of posting anything on any web site until I've worked out the issues with Astronomics first. :question: I didn't realize I was the only one that posted 10 pages of hype.

#246 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

Around here, 10 pages of hype is a relatively minor quantity.
20 pages merits notice, and 30 plus pages may induce modest concern.

#247 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

Ridwan, June and myself spent the better portion of an evening testing these OTA's until about 2am on Saturn and star clusters. We conducted star tests, etc. I'm not here to post the results as they will be presented in a review for Korovski Enterprises, more on that later. I have a number of other 4" apos on the way to add to the batch. My goal is to help remove the stigma regarding chromatic abberation from the results of these tests. The differences were profound from our observing bed, one mile from the ocean under excellent seeing. Ridwan has no bias and I think even he has a clearer respect for the matter. I can assure you that the best color correction does not always dictate which instrument will yield the highest contrast or sharpness as there are a number of variables regarding the matter. More on that shortly. I'd like to thank June and Ridwan for assisting me in this upcoming review.

WHEEEEEEEEN and WHEEEEEEEEERE :praying: :praying: :praying:

#248 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Anyone???

#249 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I heard the Tak "blew away" the closest competition .

:rofl5:
(running for cover)

#250 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

Well, I'd hope that were the case, having a Tak triplet. Unfortunately, my major instrument is still a 6mm singlet, and as old as I am...:grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics