•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

100mm EB Meyrowitz Refractor - 1460mm fl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrLunch

MrLunch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome to CloudyNights :)

I am trying to find out *anything* about this interesting old scope. the company that made it now sells fancy sunglasses, but in the late 19th century they had some reputation in the optics business. Please see photos at http://wgg.com/scope/ Comments, opinions, howls of derision all welcome.

Of special interest to me is the curious mounting ring (which is moveable but not removeable) - looks like a dob but you'd have to dig a hole in the yard to stand in. With no diagonal it needs a 7 ft. tripod. Perhaps it hung from some kind of fork on the roof of a building? Mysterious!

Meyrowitz Telescope

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:14 PM

How's this?

E.B. Meyrowitz & Dell Opticians
The world renowned for professionalism and craftsmanship since 1873
19 W. 44th St...............................................................................................................Tel: 212-575-1686
Tel: ................................................212-840-3880; Fax:.................................................212-575-1747
Mo-Fr 9-6, Sa 9-1; mcc; Map

#3 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:15 PM

That's from the NY City yellow pages. As to the mounting, it was probably an alt/az mount.

#4 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:25 AM

What a cool old scope!!!!! No real info for you though, sorry.....

#5 MrLunch

MrLunch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Don! I'll let you know what I come up with there.

#6 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

Just did some internet snooping on EB Meyrowitz. Seems to have a lot to do with Ophlamology and hearing aids among other things. Some other references were made to optical and vision test equipment and binoculars. Quite varied background.

#7 MrLunch

MrLunch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, along with racing goggles and I also found a tiny little glass pitcher which according to the site was for rinsing out ones nose. Something else described as an eye-magnet. E.B. certainly had vision, if you'll excuse the pun :) [image]http://wgg.com/scope/goggles.jpeg[/image]

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics