•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

General binocular Recommendations for Astronomy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

Binocular Recommendations

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Yet another excellent , invaluable contribution from Mr. Ed Zarenski !

I thought the choice of aspects covered was perfect and the length of each section and the article as a whole just right , with some details of what to expect to see in the various configurations re - assuredly listed by one who has obviously seen the objects himself , in most cases , many times .

Overall , a VERY useful " at a glance " compilation which I would hope and wish EVERY newcomer to the CN binocular would read BEFORE diving in with questions which would easily be answered as a result of reading this article .

Well done , EdZ !

Regards and clear skies ,

Kenny

#3 JoeF

JoeF

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

I wish I had seen that before I bought my binos last month. Not that I would have bought any different but because it makes an excellent introduction and would have immediately pointed me in the right directions.

Joe

#4 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

ED, that is a stunningly interesting article. It's actually amazing we didn't already have that advice all put together like that yet. This article should be permanently on the CN front page as far as I'm concerned.

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Thanks all.

It's permanently in the Binocular Forum "Best Of" and has been there for a few weeks. There, and at this link to the Articles-Binoculars, I think are the appropriate places for it.

Prior to this brief summary each of these topics, each discussed here in one or two shorts paragraphs, has been disccussed at length and the best of those discussions are all documented in the Binocular Forum Library, the "Best Of" threads. However, each topic that here is explained briefly, in the Library has greatly expanded detail of maybe one full page to several pages each. So all of this does indeed reside in the Binocular Forum, but not in brief form. You can pick any single brief topic mentioned in this article, go to the Binocular Forum "Best Of" threads and find a far more detailed and lengthy discussion. This kind of puts it all together in sort of an introductory format.

I hope our readers will find this brief article prompts them to think about what they want and what they need to know about their own needs so they can make a more informed choice. It's purpose is to provide that early guiding hand.

edz

#6 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

Thank you Ed - another fantastic article - we're privileged to have you as a CN Mod/contributor!!

#7 Ortho2000

Ortho2000

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

Excellent overview.

It is difficult to include everything, and invariably some one will ask why was "this" or "that" not discussed.

Perhaps a brief mention that two very basic binocular designs are commonly found, namely roof and porro prism, might have been helpful. This only for the fact that when one goes shopping in stores or looking on the internet, one will come across these "basic two types" of binoculars.

I am not sure if reviews like this can be slightly edited by the author. The writer is very experienced and I am sure that editing the voluminous information down to size was very difficult.

Again...great job.

#8 Duncan Rosie

Duncan Rosie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

Hi Ed,

You're a star, perhaps we should name an asteroid after you, one that can be seen in 20x80's. :bow:

One factor you didn't consider is bragging rights - having carefully absorbed all your points, I still want the latest and greatest when I eventually purchase my first pair for astronmy! :cool:

Regards,

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

It is difficult to include everything, and invariably some one will ask why was "this" or "that" not discussed.

This is so true. In a quick review of a list of topics I developed for writing a review, I find there are no less than 20 different topics of discussion relative to binoculars that I did not mention in this brief article. A review of the Binocular Forum Library finds at least another 10 topics not discussed here.

Consider this more of a list of things to think about before making a binocular purchase, not advice on what style or brand to buy. Every one of these discussion topics applies no matter what style or brand you purchase.

edz

#10 ftodonoghue

ftodonoghue

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hi Edz

Thats a great article, very detailed and lots of info, but I am just wondering if it has too much info for an absolute beginner, who knows nothing about binocs and very little about the sky above. I find that there are lots of people who join our astronomy club, wondering what telescope should they buy for looking at the night sky. My simple answer is to get binoculars first, and I usually follow that up by saying 10X50's. It also helps that a store in ireland carry Bresser 10X50's for less than €20, a number of times a year.
I will probably get slated for this attitude, but if a decent €20 binocular can get people out looking at the stars with minimal effort and investment then why not?

#11 DblVision

DblVision

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

"Zipped Abstract" is the term that comes to mind when reading this article. Thanks, EdZ. Each bullet is a take-off point for a whole wealth of research and testing that you, and others, have performed and that you have carefully compiled elsewhere on the site. Users of these data can dive as deep, or as shallow, into a given topic as they desire. Thanks Again.

#12 jaydee

jaydee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Many thanks, Ed, for a very useful article.

I was particularly interested to read what one might expect to see using different sized binoculars, and how one should expect to see fainter objects using binoculars with larger objectives. I can understand why this should be so for open clusters which behave as point sources, but I would appreciate it if anyone could explain why this should be so for an extended object such as a nebula. For the same exit pupil, a larger objective requires a proportionately higher magnification, and so I would have expected that the light intensity falling on the retina would not be increased. If you double the objective diameter, you transmit four times the light, but it has to be spread over four times the area on the retina.

Many thanks

John

#13 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

There are a dozen individuals in the binocular forum who would enjoy engaging with you in conversation on your question. please stop in.

edz

#14 jaydee

jaydee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:05 AM

Many thanks for the suggestion Ed.

Best regards

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics